Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
married2mm
DIS Veteran

bed sharing

i'm trying again, lol

i don't really understand paying hundreds/thousands of dollars and not have your own bed.
in fact, i dearly love my family but don't want to sleep in the same room for 2 weeks with them.

maybe it's just my englishness?!

do your family/friends not mind sharing?
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Pretty much any hotel room is going to have you sharing a room and probably beds too, unless there are just two of you. Disney resorts are mostly 'hotels' in room type, unless you go for a villa or go deluxe for alternatives.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Don't know how many you are sharing a room with? But most hotel rooms consist of 2 beds. And some of the wdw deluxe rooms also have a day bed. Maybe you can split up into 2 rooms to give everyone more space?
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
do your family/friends not mind sharing?
We absolutely don't mind sharing. I have gone on tons of trips together with my friends and/or family, Disney included. If there are 4 of us in a room and 2 people to each bed, we know it's a heck of a lot cheaper that way than getting 2 standard rooms just so everyone can have their own bed, especially in Disney. We are usually so exhausted from the parks that we collapse on the beds anyway and are asleep within minutes.

If anything, it's sharing the bathroom that can sometimes get frustrating!
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP,
2014-POP,

runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

How many people are you travelling with? We do not travel with anyone who doesn't live in our house. I sleep with DH on vacation, and our two boys either share a bed or take turns sleeping on the floor.

We did vacation at the beach two years ago when my niece got married, and we were all there for a week, but each family rented a separate house.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I don't mind sharing with family and have shared on occasion with friends, but NOT for two weeks! That could get to be a bit much. I agree that the bathroom would perhaps be a bigger issue.

But, I don't think you're weird or anything to want a bed to yourself. Two weeks is a long time! Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Muddypaws
Mouseketeer

I refuse to share a bed with either of my kids (ds13 and dd12). One of them talks in his sleep and the other one nests. So we pay for a preferred room at POR. Good thing dd is still tiny for her age so she can sleep on the Murphy bed.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
sndral
DIS Veteran

I think it's a cultural thing, I've visited places where people can quite happily all sleep together like a litter of puppies, yet, unless I'm sharing w/ a sig. other, I won't share. It certainly costs more at times, but it's worth it to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

I don't like bring crammed either. If I get a good special I get 2 adjoining rooms or stay off property in a condo.
I will not sleep with my kids. I really can't share a double bed with my husband. So space is a must.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Sammie
DIS Veteran

I mind, which is why we bought DVC and always get a two bedroom villa.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

I love my kids but do not like being crammed in a hotel room with them. That is why we have started staying off-property and getting a 2 bedroom condo (Bonnet Creek).

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Oh heck, I've been married to a wonderful guy for the past almost 31 years and if we have anything smaller than a king bed in a hotel room, we each take a bed. We like our space. We have a king at home and that's fine with us.

Very funny story - we went to Disney World in January with our son and his family, including our two grandkids. We had a double room so we could be near everyone else so, of course, my husband and I each had our own bed. We had to explain to our grandkids why both beds were slept in as they thought we should sleep together. My son just said "they don't like touching each other." Ever had to explain to your grandkids that you can love someone dearly but not want to touch while sleeping?
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
I mind, which is why we bought DVC and always get a two bedroom villa.
Exact same for our family. We get a 2 bedroom for our family of 4. I don't want to share a bed or a bathroom with my kids on vacation - having extra space makes our vacations so much better.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8
Oh heck, I've been married to a wonderful guy for the past almost 31 years and if we have anything smaller than a king bed in a hotel room, we each take a bed. We like our space. We have a king at home and that's fine with us.

Very funny story - we went to Disney World in January with our son and his family, including our two grandkids. We had a double room so we could be near everyone else so, of course, my husband and I each had our own bed. We had to explain to our grandkids why both beds were slept in as they thought we should sleep together. My son just said "they don't like touching each other." Ever had to explain to your grandkids that you can love someone dearly but not want to touch while sleeping?
No i can't imagine that! I guess we are all different people! Dh and I are average size (well i'm pretty petite lol) and we sleep on a full at home (GASP!) because that's just what i had. We cuddle up and like being close. I couldn't imagine sleeping in separate beds.

I'm finding this thread super interesting! Many people refuse to sleep with their children, i had no idea. Hopefully my future kids won't have a sleeptime habit that bad!

As for the OP, how many people and whom, are sharing? I think it really depends on the room, and who we were with. Two weeks is a long time and it can get cramped depending on the room. Our AKL savannah view room was TINY! I felt cramped with just Dh and me! And we were only there two nights! Our room at CSR for the 7 nights before was much more comfy. If budget isn't a concern the family suites or villas are a great option.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
I'm finding this thread super interesting! Many people refuse to sleep with their children, i had no idea. Hopefully my future kids won't have a sleeptime habit .
I won't sleep in the same bed as my youngest. He tends to end up sleeping at an angle, partly sideways in the bed, and he kicks.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: