Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Techies/tablet users help wanted

OK, just looking for some advice here, not going to make a purchase in the near future.

I currently have an OLD e-Reader - like when they were "new" technology. It is called the PanDigital Novel, and it has VERY limited and SLOW internet capability. It uses Nook, and is sync'd to a Barnes and Noble account. It won't run games or any other apps. I have purchased a TON of books and they are stored both on the e-Reader and in my account at B&N.

I would like to replace it. It is so slow as to be absolutely useless online. I want a new one that will connect via WiFi in my house or if we are traveling and WiFi is available, but it doesn't have to be connected all the time, like a SmartPhone or through my cellphone account - in fact I would prefer it to NOT have to be set up that way. I want it to use Nook technology, so that I have access to all my books I already own. I do not want an i-anything, as I don't like Apple products and find them non-user-friendly after being a Windows user for so long.

I would also prefer middle-of-the-line price range.

Any ideas/thoughts? Impossible to find such a thing? Would I be better off to just get a Nook, and do they have internet capabilities?

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

Yes, B&N has a couple of Nook tablets, that would allow you to access your e-books and also use the web, e-mail, watch movies, use apps, and all those other tablet-y things.

The Nook HD is the 7" tablet, the Nook HD+ is the 9".

You can find all the info you need on both of them at Barnes and Noble's site.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

I just got a next book 7 for Christmas. It was around $90. It connects wonderfully everywere I go. I tried it for the first time last night in public (mc. donalds) and was shocked how quick it connected. It gets to the sites fast too. I also found that it has slideme on it so TONS of free apps. It does take a little long (under 5 mins) to boot but thats cause I have alot of apps on there. Its easy to use too. My freinds 5 year old was able to get to the kids apps by herself last night (i walked away from the table... BAD ME). Even with the negitive reviews on amazon, this is an aswome (and cheap) peice of techonology.
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: