Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

Should I change my dates to get free dining?

We are going to WDW in May 2013. We are using the DDP where you get 1 snack,1 QS, and 1 TS each day. We are a large family so it's kind of pricy....My friend goes every year in October and always get the free dining. I'm debating on waiting until late Sept. early Oct. instead of going in May? I really hate the thought of waiting an additional 4 more months But it does save us a lot of money and of course gives us even more time to save money. Anyways my main question with this post is, do they always have the free dining that time of year? My friend has already booked her trip for October 2014 w/ the free dining! If I call will they tell me this far in advance? I have never used the DDP in the past so I don't know much about it. I don't want to put the trip off for fall and then find out I can't even get the free dining

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There is no way to anticipate whether or not free dining will be offered in October 2013.

Change your dates now only if you would be OK with going in October without free dining, in case it is not offered.

Currently the only way to get free dining is through a bounceback or PIN code, or if you're British. Unless your friend is British I can't see how they were able to book free dining for October 2014 as package reservations for 2014 are not even available yet.

Quote:
If I call will they tell me this far in advance?
No, they will not be able to tell you in advance.
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
There is no way to anticipate whether or not free dining will be offered in October 2013.

Change your dates now only if you would be OK with going in October without free dining, in case it is not offered.

Currently the only way to get free dining is through a bounceback or PIN code, or if you're British. Unless your friend is British I can't see how they were able to book free dining for October 2014 as package reservations for 2014 are not even available yet.

No, they will not be able to tell you in advance.
Oops I meant to type October 2013 and it was from a bounce back

Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I definitely wouldn't change your dates if you are only changing them to get FD. The new Stay/Play/Dine offer appears to be the 'new FD' so there are no guarantees that it would come out.

If you're interested in that time frame anyway, go for it! Depending upon your dates in May, there may be offers that you can take advantage of.

Just book when you'd like to go with how much you're willing to pay, and hope that you can get the price down later. Definitely don't count on a deal.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

Do you think my friend got the free dining in a bounce back for next fall b/c they know they will be offering it again? I did call Disney and like you all have mentioned she didn't know what they will offer in the fall but she did say based on the past few years Disney has had free dining in the fall and it could likely they will offer it again next year

Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

There's no way to know. Do not get your hopes up and make major changes based on that. For the past few years they've had free dining in January-March for the general public, in 2013 it's stay/play/dine. There's no way to anticipate what Disney will do for the rest of the year.

Whether you should change your dates or not should be based on which dates you really want to go, not on whether or not there might be a discount in the future. If October is just as good as May to you, then you can change, but if it's going to make a major difference to you if you don't get the free dining, then decide which dates are best for you with all discounts off the table.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

If you are considering paying for the dining plan, there is noe better deal than to get the free dining, about the only thing that can rival the savings is a 50 percent off code, which I've never seen, and of course, the more in your family in one room, the more you will save.
They have offered free dining in September/Oct. for every year since '05 I think, I see no reason to think they won't next year as well, if not, there should be bettr room codes out for that time of year than there will be in May.

However, one thing I didn't notice in your post that's Important, and that is what resort you are staying at, if it's the All Stars, nope probably not going to get the regualar dining plan offered, maybe just a quick service plan for free.
Ok, copies of this speech can be obtained out in the lobby.
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
If you are considering paying for the dining plan, there is noe better deal than to get the free dining, about the only thing that can rival the savings is a 50 percent off code, which I've never seen, and of course, the more in your family in one room, the more you will save.
They have offered free dining in September/Oct. for every year since '05 I think, I see no reason to think they won't next year as well, if not, there should be bettr room codes out for that time of year than there will be in May.

However, one thing I didn't notice in your post that's Important, and that is what resort you are staying at, if it's the All Stars, nope probably not going to get the regualar dining plan offered, maybe just a quick service plan for free.
Ok, copies of this speech can be obtained out in the lobby.
It's hard to go off past history (as of right now) since they have yet to offer FD for Jan - Mar when it has been out historically as well.

Fingers crossed for it. But I have a feeling that S/P/D will be the new public dining discount while FD will only be offered via pin code.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
KNovacovschi
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't count on free dining in October as they do have blackout days due to fall breaks. We went from Oct 14-20th this year and the FD was not available as it was blacked out. Actually I correct myself, it wasn't available for the majority of the week. It became available Oct 19th. So I wouldn't base your vacation on a "maybe".

Hope you enjoy yourself either way!!!

DD-17 DH-34 ME-37

Sept 17-23, 2006 - POP; Aug 12-18, 2007 - POP; Oct 14-20, 2012 - POP; Nov 17-23, 2013 - POP; Sept 27-Oct 4, 2014 - POP (adult only);
Sept 20-26, 2015 - POP (DM/DD trip)

I've been sprung....YEAH
KNovacovschi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: