Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
left210
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,430

Can someone tell me about Skylanders?

How do you play it? Is it better for Wii or PS3?
left210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
KennesawNemo
DIS Veteran
 
KennesawNemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 594

DS has the game and couple figurines. He is really into it now. He plays it on his wii. His friend plays it on X-box. The two of them play together just fine.

We have some of the old figurines, and just bought couple new big ones. I believe they are called giants.

Sorry, I don't know too much about it.
KennesawNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran
 
goofyredraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,064

We have the original, and my son is getting the giants for Christmas . We have it for wii.
You play using a portal (round disk thing) that you place the characters on. Each character is part of a different element (fire, water, wind, earth, rock, etc) and has unique powers. When a character is losing life from battling the "bad guys" that have taken over Skyland, you must put a different figure on the portal. There are different levels and different characters/types open other levels. That's all I know, my boys play it.
__________________
Erin

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
lucigo
DIS Veteran
 
lucigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chester, VA/Pace, FL
Posts: 2,323

Because this is the budget board I will point out that this game is a money pit. Very expensive as far as video games go, because you have to have all of the characters in order to go into the different areas.
__________________
lucigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
trish.
Mouseketeer
 
trish.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
Because this is the budget board I will point out that this game is a money pit. Very expensive as far as video games go, because you have to have all of the characters in order to go into the different areas.
You don't need ALL the characters - there are a lot! - but if you want to explore all the little extra areas of the levels, you need one of each of the 8 different types of skylanders. You get 3 of those types with the starter kit. You do not need to explore these extra areas to beat the game. The extra areas give you more "money" to upgrade your character or have special treasures - that you don't need necessarily. My kids and I play together on xbox. We also have a wii, but decided against the wii version and went for the xbox version. Let me know if you have any questions, we have both games and almost every character (although some are in the closet for Christmas).
__________________
DL - April 1994, February 2010, April 2011
WDW - August 2000 CBR, April 2008 CBR Grand Gathering, Christmas 2012 OKW
DCL - Fantasy December 2012
trish. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
left210
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,430

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish. View Post
You don't need ALL the characters - there are a lot! - but if you want to explore all the little extra areas of the levels, you need one of each of the 8 different types of skylanders. You get 3 of those types with the starter kit. You do not need to explore these extra areas to beat the game. The extra areas give you more "money" to upgrade your character or have special treasures - that you don't need necessarily. My kids and I play together on xbox. We also have a wii, but decided against the wii version and went for the xbox version. Let me know if you have any questions, we have both games and almost every character (although some are in the closet for Christmas).
What age level do you think is a good starting age? Also, does each pack come with different types? For instance we got a 3 pack today and it had chill, ignitor and zook in the pack. Are those 3 different types or all the same type? Do the characters work on any system? We have Wii or PS3. Does it matter which system we buy for?
left210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
lucigo
DIS Veteran
 
lucigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chester, VA/Pace, FL
Posts: 2,323

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish. View Post
You don't need ALL the characters - there are a lot! - but if you want to explore all the little extra areas of the levels, you need one of each of the 8 different types of skylanders. You get 3 of those types with the starter kit. You do not need to explore these extra areas to beat the game. The extra areas give you more "money" to upgrade your character or have special treasures - that you don't need necessarily. My kids and I play together on xbox. We also have a wii, but decided against the wii version and went for the xbox version. Let me know if you have any questions, we have both games and almost every character (although some are in the closet for Christmas).
How much would you estimate you have spent on this game and the characters you have? We have steered clear because of the warnings of cost involved. I have a child who will get obsessed with one thing and "gotta have'em all" if you know what I mean. We have collections of everything from Thomas the Train to Disney Cars to Angry Birds and every age in between LOL
__________________
lucigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucigo View Post
How much would you estimate you have spent on this game and the characters you have? We have steered clear because of the warnings of cost involved. I have a child who will get obsessed with one thing and "gotta have'em all" if you know what I mean. We have collections of everything from Thomas the Train to Disney Cars to Angry Birds and every age in between LOL
I don't even know if I want to estimate

I'd say maybe 300 including the cost of the initial Skylanders game. He has quite a few of the characters. He's used the game a lot though and we'd buy a character for a Birthday or Easter or for a job well done.
As others mentioned, it's not necessary to have them all by any means. Just one (at least) of each "type". Our game store will buy the used ones back, and sell them at a reduced price because they are used and out of the package. It makes no difference and is a great way to get them at a discount.

I have no regrets with this game since he has enjoyed it so much.
We have Skylanders (and soon Giants) for the PS3, simply because we prefer that system to the Wii. I don't know that it really matters though.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
foltzy
Mouseketeer
 
foltzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 407

We have both games and a ton of characters. We've invested a lot of money into the games. However, it is one thing our son has not gotten tired of and that the entire family plays. Above the games, the characters are 9.99 for 1. 11.99 for the new light core and 14.99 for the new Giants. There are over 30 characters so there is a ton of money for this game. We knew that going into it though last year.

Our kids earn points to unlock their Skylanders, instead of us just giving them all to them.
__________________
Liz
foltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
Tinker Pam
Stalker of the Whisperer
 
Tinker Pam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 522

The Skylander Giant Portal Pack for Wii will be on sale on Thanksgiving day at Walmart for $39 which is half off
__________________
Me DH DS12
Still waiting for their first trip DD26 Daniel her Prince Charming

Tinker Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
brookmey
I may live in the south, but I bleed maize and blue
 
brookmey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas, by way of Michigan
Posts: 1,618

We have Skylanders for the xbox and the kids are getting Giants for Christmas. We lucked out and bought a bunch of characters at Best Buy this past September when they had them BOGO free. Like someone else said, you only really need 1 character from each element. We have almost all the original characters, mainly because of the BOGO sale.

I was hesitant at first to get the game because of the additional costs involved. But, both my kids love the game. It's one of the few video games that they both enjoy. DD is 8 and DS is 6, so they have very different tastes in video games. But they both are into Skylanders. They've even got me into playing and it is pretty fun.

I was also apprehensive about having so many characters, thinking some will just collect dust, but we use all of them. What has happened is that each of the 4 of us has our favorite characters and they're all different. The kids do not like the same characters, so there's no fighting over who gets to be who (like what happens in some of the Lego games). Each character is unique and has different capabilities, plus there are male and female characters, so there's a broad range of appeal for the varying personalities and genders in each family.

All in all, I have no regrets getting this game or the several characters.
__________________

Last edited by brookmey; 11-09-2012 at 09:43 AM.
brookmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Pam View Post
The Skylander Giant Portal Pack for Wii will be on sale on Thanksgiving day at Walmart for $39 which is half off
I just saw that last night. Luckily the one I bought at full price is still in the bag with the receipt. If I can manage to get one much cheaper online somewhere on Black Friday then I can return it. If not.. I still have one.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
left210
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,430

So the Giants game is different than the one with the small characters? When you say elements is there a site or something that would guide me to which characters belong to each element? Still trying to decide if I want to start the madness. If you start with the original characters and portal do you have to buy a new portal for the giants or just the game and new characters?
left210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
foltzy
Mouseketeer
 
foltzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 407

You can check Skylanders.com which has all the characters. I'm only seeing the Giants on that site though. http://www.skylanderscharacters.com/figures.asp has them all and what they look like and series 1 (Original skylanders) and Series 2 (Giants).
__________________
Liz
foltzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
pigletto
DIS Veteran
 
pigletto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by left210 View Post
So the Giants game is different than the one with the small characters? When you say elements is there a site or something that would guide me to which characters belong to each element? Still trying to decide if I want to start the madness. If you start with the original characters and portal do you have to buy a new portal for the giants or just the game and new characters?
Yes, the original game is it's own disc, and for Giants you will need the new disc. If you only want the original, then only buy characters that don't say Giants on them. You will also need the "Portal of Power" for either game. That is what you put the characters on to add them to the game. Your best bet is to buy a starter kit that includes the game disc, portal of power, and figures.

We have the original and the Portal so we only needed the new disc for Giants and the figurines. You won't need a second portal.
__________________
pigletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.