Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

question......superzooms vs mirrorless

So I am thinking I will be renting a lense at some point for my Pentax dslr before I invest the money.

in the meantime I do want to buy another carry around camera that will take some decent sports shots, like gymnastics.
I realize I won't capture them like I would with a dslr but............

I am now looking at some of the "superzoom" like the Nikon coolpix p510 or the canon sx50 or the Panasonic Lumix fz200.

I am leaning toward the Lumix because of the f2.8, but it has a shorter zoom.

the other thing I am considering is a mirrorless system.

what is the benefit other than the option of switching the lense?
I was looking at teh Nikon J2, and Lumix G3, and still investigating the nex and olympus models.

so I guess my question........what would be the benefit of going mirrorless over some of the fixed lense models I mentioned?
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Mirrorless is a very broad category. The Nikon J2 doesn't strike me as great for sports. At a minimum you'd need to add a zoom lens.
Some mirrorless are really closer to p&s, some are closer to dSLR.
For example - the Nex system could largely replace a dSLR. Has a dSLR sensor, can use dSLR lenses, produce dSLR results. The main differences are just the design of the camera body, and a different focus mechanism.
For most people, I'd see the NEX as a dSLR replacement, not as a second camera.

Super zooms can be cheaper in general. While a good mirrorless is akin to a dSLR, a super zoom is more often akin to a mid level compact camera, with a long reaching zoom. (Talking generally, each model is different).
I would see a super zoom as being a "2nd camera" for many people, when you just need something smaller and/or long reach.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
npmommie

so just trying to understand, is it the sensor that makes it closer to dslr?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
nowater
Earning My Ears

The Coolpix 510 is amazing, nevermind the fact of 42x zoom... I was new to shooting with it so some of these arent that amazing.. but this folder is with only the 510..
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4384202&type=3
nowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
npmommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowater View Post
The Coolpix 510 is amazing, nevermind the fact of 42x zoom... I was new to shooting with it so some of these arent that amazing.. but this folder is with only the 510..
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4384202&type=3
Those are really great! thank you for sharing!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

SuperZooms do not appear to go wide, as in *really* wide. 25mm equivalent is about all most of them go to and for me that is not nearly wide enough. "Long" is much easier to do so most of the SuperZooms go really long, longer than most dSLR owners carry or even own (who has a 600mm?)! Aperture can be an issue also, at the long end most of them are slow although some (like the Lumix FZ200) have f/2.8 across the whole range!

For my G3 I usually carry a 7-14 (equiv 14-28) which can get my toes in a vertical image if I am not careful! This lens works on Olympus bodies also. Availability of such a wide lens was important in my choice of a system. Ymmv...

Then there is the sensor. Micro 4/3 has a much larger sensor than the SuperZooms, with all the good things that come from a larger sensor. NEX has an even larger sensor while the Nikon 1 is smaller than the other mirrorless but still considerably larger than the SuperZooms.

A 600mm f/2.8, even with a small sensor, seems like a good choice for gymnastics. To get that kind of lens in 4/3, NEX, or dSLR would be a large, heavy, and expensive piece of gear. Yet we see the pros at the Olympics with these enormous lenses on their dSLRs, they must know something. My guess would be that even at f/2.8 and with stabilization some kind of camera support will be required.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
nowater
Earning My Ears

Had to add one more for the 510, This shot was over 150+ yards away

https://www.facebook.com/NowaterPhotography
nowater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
so just trying to understand, is it the sensor that makes it closer to dslr?
Yes, but it depends on the mirrorless system. The Nex series uses an actual dSLR sensor. It can use specially designed lenses, or it can use A mount dSLR lenses with an adaptor.
The Nikon J2 uses a much smaller sensor, the same size found in the Sony Rx100. Bigger than most compacts, but much smaller than dSLR. Many mirrorless use a 4/3 size, which is in between.

Super zooms typically use a much smaller sensor. The advantage of a super zoom is to get huge reach at an affordable price. But you do compromise quality.
Just to get 300mm/2.8 on a dSLR would weight several pounds and could cost thousands of dollars. (Though you can get 300mm/5.6 for just a couple hundred dollars and that may be good enough. )
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
So I am thinking I will be renting a lense at some point for my Pentax dslr before I invest the money.

in the meantime I do want to buy another carry around camera that will take some decent sports shots, like gymnastics.
I realize I won't capture them like I would with a dslr but............

I am now looking at some of the "superzoom" like the Nikon coolpix p510 or the canon sx50 or the Panasonic Lumix fz200.

I am leaning toward the Lumix because of the f2.8, but it has a shorter zoom.

the other thing I am considering is a mirrorless system.

what is the benefit other than the option of switching the lense?
I was looking at teh Nikon J2, and Lumix G3, and still investigating the nex and olympus models.

so I guess my question........what would be the benefit of going mirrorless over some of the fixed lense models I mentioned?
Since you are a Pentax shooter, why wouldn't look at the Pentax K-01 (mirrorless). Currently you can get it without a lens for $346! You can use all your Pentax lenses (without adaptor) and it has the same 16mp Sony sensor that is in the K5, Nikon 5100/7000 and Sony cameras. Its video is actually rated better than the K5 (the K5 is not known for its video). Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't want to have camera systems with different interchangeable lens lines.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
npmommie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowater View Post
Had to add one more for the 510, This shot was over 150+ yards away

https://www.facebook.com/NowaterPhotography
very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
Since you are a Pentax shooter, why wouldn't look at the Pentax K-01 (mirrorless). Currently you can get it without a lens for $346! You can use all your Pentax lenses (without adaptor) and it has the same 16mp Sony sensor that is in the K5, Nikon 5100/7000 and Sony cameras. Its video is actually rated better than the K5 (the K5 is not known for its video). Personally, and this is just me, I wouldn't want to have camera systems with different interchangeable lens lines.
I am going to read teh reviews now.
so you are saying if I got this for instance
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Compact...rds=pentax+k01

I could put that zoom lense on my dslr?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Remember for the superzooms, that great pictures outdoors are much, much easier than the indoors gymnastics you mentioned. The advantage of the f/2.8 could be the difference between a useable picture vs a blur.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
npmommie

hakepb thanks.

that is why I am leaning toward the lumix.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
Could be an interesting option for the OP. Depending on which Pentax dSLR she has, this camera would actually be an overall upgrade from the dSLR.

In broad general terms, that's the thing to understand --
Most mirrorless cameras are pretty closely related to dSLRs. Not just the interchangeable lenses, but in overall quality. There are certainly some mirrorless systems that can surpass some dSLR systems. Shooting zoom with a mirrorless is no different than shooting zoom with a dSLR -- You need a good zoom lens to do it.
Superzooms are more related to compact cameras. They tend to be more affordable, more compact. Lesser image quality. They are meant overall, in broad terms, more for the point & shooter, who wants a really long reach. Most of these cameras aren't going to be *great* for sports or low light, though the FZ200 does appear to be significantly better than most others. (The FZ200 isn't cheap at 600, but you would never be able to get a constant 2.8 aperture dSLR zoom lens -- and certainly not 600mm zoom lens -- for anything close to $600. Sigma makes a 120mm-300mm/2.8 for Pentax, that runs over $3,000).

So really the downside of the K-01 for the OP --- It just doesn't do anything to solve the zoom issue. You're in the same boat as with your dSLR -- the need to get the right lens. You're just getting something a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Could be an interesting option for the OP. Depending on which Pentax dSLR she has, this camera would actually be an overall upgrade from the dSLR.

In broad general terms, that's the thing to understand --
Most mirrorless cameras are pretty closely related to dSLRs. Not just the interchangeable lenses, but in overall quality. There are certainly some mirrorless systems that can surpass some dSLR systems. Shooting zoom with a mirrorless is no different than shooting zoom with a dSLR -- You need a good zoom lens to do it.
Superzooms are more related to compact cameras. They tend to be more affordable, more compact. Lesser image quality. They are meant overall, in broad terms, more for the point & shooter, who wants a really long reach. Most of these cameras aren't going to be *great* for sports or low light, though the FZ200 does appear to be significantly better than most others. (The FZ200 isn't cheap at 600, but you would never be able to get a constant 2.8 aperture dSLR zoom lens -- and certainly not 600mm zoom lens -- for anything close to $600. Sigma makes a 120mm-300mm/2.8 for Pentax, that runs over $3,000).

So really the downside of the K-01 for the OP --- It just doesn't do anything to solve the zoom issue. You're in the same boat as with your dSLR -- the need to get the right lens. You're just getting something a little bit smaller and a little bit lighter.
I understand the superzoom/bridge cameras. I was addressing the issue of his possible desire for mirrorless. I believe the OP has a K100. The older Pentax', like most of the other brands, do not have the better ISO/noise range that the more modern cameras have. Depending on how much the OP shoots, it may be better to rent a longer zoom for the times it is needed. For those who shoot a lot (this past race season I shot in excess of 50 days with some days being 12-14 hours long) its not financially sound to rent. Not knowing the lenses that the OP has available, I might recommend his purchasing a new K5 for roughly $700-800. Because of the higher ISO availability of the K5, his current lens lineup would become more usable in low light conditions. It really depends on the lens availability of the OP and balancing the photographic triangle.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
npmommie

LOL, first I am a "she".........not that it matters about the camera though

so this is what I have for cameras.
I have a point and shoot Panasonic Lumix , its about 5 yrs old. I use this the most, but I get a lot of blurred shots at gym meets, if the light is good and I am fairly close i do manage to get some decent shots.

I also have a pentax K100d super, with only the lens that came with it.
so I have done a few really good shots of the kids outside in bright light and some good ones inside with flash. have not tried it at a gym meet though.
because of the lens issue. never got around to buying a lens. and to be honest I have only used the camera a few times.

I also have an old SLR film Chinon with a 50 mm lense. takes beautiful shots. but its all manual. and old.

and I use my Iphone

so that is my story. I think I am wanting something less bulky than a dslr to carry around all the time. plus would be good for gym meets.
so I was thinking the fz200 would fit me.
still not sure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: