Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Travel tripod recommendations?

So... after leaving my trusty SLIK travel tripod, which I have used for a decade, on the General Joe Potter ferry, I am looking for a new tripod. (BTW, calling lost and found at WDW is an exercise in futility and a test of patience. You're on hold for almost and an hour and the person on the other end sounds like he'd rather have dental surgery than to talk with you or help you. The person who found my tripod is probably enjoying the heck out of it right now.)

I need a tripod that is compact but still can extend to about 5 feet (or less if the centre column can achieve the 5 feet), light but not break the bank. Something in the $100-150 range would be nice.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
So... after leaving my trusty SLIK travel tripod, which I have used for a decade, on the General Joe Potter ferry, I am looking for a new tripod. (BTW, calling lost and found at WDW is an exercise in futility and a test of patience. You're on hold for almost and an hour and the person on the other end sounds like he'd rather have dental surgery than to talk with you or help you. The person who found my tripod is probably enjoying the heck out of it right now.)

I need a tripod that is compact but still can extend to about 5 feet (or less if the centre column can achieve the 5 feet), light but not break the bank. Something in the $100-150 range would be nice.

It sounds like you know a lot more about them than anyone on here possibly could.. I'd just do a search on Google - travel tripod reviews (or something along those lines)
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
pxlbarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
It sounds like you know a lot more about them than anyone on here possibly could.. I'd just do a search on Google - travel tripod reviews (or something along those lines)
I've done that but I'm asking for any personal recommendations from people who know what it means to travel in the parks with a tripod.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
Old 11-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

I got a Velbon DF40 which extends to about 4.5ft (I am guessing here as I'm too lazy to get it out and measure it) and the center column extends by another foot give or take)

It is pretty lightweight and I had no issue carrying it around with me. I am about 5'3" and I can easily stand and look through the viewfinder at eye level without bending down with the legs and center column more or less fully extended.

The only thing I would suggest is that as it doesn't come with a bag, unless your camera bag is able to secure a tripod to it, just get a bag. It was under $100 but was sturdy enough to hold my D90 with my heaviest lens (Tokina 11-16) mounted (as well as a flash on some occasions). I did find that at full load the plate needed to be readjusted a few times once the weight had settled on there as it seemed prone to tilting downward slightly on the 'open' end. It is lighter than my other tripod and I will definitely use it again for trailing round the parks with as it is certainly very doable. I may invest in a camera bag that will take a tripod though as that was my biggest annoyance (I got a big creative in attaching it but it was far from practical)
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
2Tiggies

Here is a link to one on Amazon, to give you an example. If in any doubt the next size up is not that much more.

http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-DF-40-L...s=velbon+df-40

EDIT TO ADD: Apologies, I posted a link for one that sells in the US without checking your location
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
My2Girls66
DIS Veteran

I have this one. Nice and light for travel/hiking
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

They also make this one now, it is lighter and folds smaller. I am tempted to get this for hiking.
http://www.adorama.com/BEA100EXU.htm...FQ-f4AodDCAAaQ

Susan
My2Girls66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

I bought one from the Benro Travel Angel series and have been very happy with it. Fairly light, compact, and quite sturdy. You can also remove one leg and use it as a monopod (which I didn't think I would do but has come in handy for shooting video in some circumstances). Most of the Travel Angels are a bit above your price range, but I think they are a pretty good value.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:

How much weight do you need to hold? How light do you want it?

There's a ton of tripods out there. Narrow it down more for us. And I'm going to disagree with the previous poster... there are some on this board who are extremely knowledgable about tripods especially when it comes to using them at WDW.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #9
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I use the Cullmann Magic and I think the current interation is the IV. It is less than 3lbs, and folds flat. I've included some images. Because of the way the legs fold/unfold, it is easy to hang my bag to make it even more stable. Also it converts to a monopod. I carry it in the net (water bottle) in the side of my backpack and stabilize it with a strap (it helps on the rides so it doesn't all out). Fully extended with ball head it is 4'-7/1/2", with the camera mounted the viewfinder is at 4'-10 1/2". Closed it is 13 1/2" long and holds 6.6 lbs.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=

Tripod Backpack by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP0299 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP0298 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP0300 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 11-18-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
pxlbarrel

Wow, that's an odd looking tripod. LOL I've never seen one like that. I'll have to look into it.

I'm looking for a tripod that'll hold a Canon 40D with a 16-35 mm lens. The lens makes it fairly heavy but my Slik sprint tripod from many years ago managed to hold it fairly safely and steady. I hope whoever has it takes care of it.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
2Tiggies

Quote:
Wow, that's an odd looking tripod. LOL I've never seen one like that. I'll have to look into it.
The more I look at it, the more I think that design is perfect for Disney trips. Not only because of the fold away design, but because the legs spread out at a much lower level than on a standard tripod, it allows you to push one leg through a railing and get the other two fairly flush against it, if you are somewhere you are able to do this. I found it helped by allowing me to get closer to the tripod without the legs protruding too far out behind me and inviting it to be accidentally kicked or bumped. But there was limit to how far I could force that first leg through railings because I had to stop when the top rail hit against the leg.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
The more I look at it, the more I think that design is perfect for Disney trips. Not only because of the fold away design, but because the legs spread out at a much lower level than on a standard tripod, it allows you to push one leg through a railing and get the other two fairly flush against it, if you are somewhere you are able to do this. I found it helped by allowing me to get closer to the tripod without the legs protruding too far out behind me and inviting it to be accidentally kicked or bumped. But there was limit to how far I could force that first leg through railings because I had to stop when the top rail hit against the leg.
Because I wear my backpack at WDW and it is lightweight, its with me all the time (see the picture). When I need it, I never have to worry about running back to the front of the park to get it out of a locker! The new ballhead has two levels on it which helps. The only thing I would recommend is to carry a couple pieces of that rubber grip material. The twist legs can become very tight and especially in the summer with sweaty (ugh!), slippery hands they can be difficult to loosen. With the grip material, its a piece of cake. If you are worried about camera weight, I have used a 70-200 f2.8 (attached to the tripod collar) with it with no problem.

If you can't tell, I really like this tripod for travel. I have also used it as an off-camera flash stand.

PS Also, it has gone through numerous airports attached to my camera bag without question!!

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 11-18-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
BBQMonster
Mouseketeer

I got a Velbon UT 43D before our last trip and I loved it. Extends to 61" Weighs just 2.53lbs and folds down to 11.3". Here's the link to it on B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Aluminum.html
BBQMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to say I'm sorry you lost your tripod. I left mine on a Disney bus last year and concierge at the Pop Century tracked it down for me. I was really shocked to get it back again!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
pxlbarrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I just wanted to say I'm sorry you lost your tripod. I left mine on a Disney bus last year and concierge at the Pop Century tracked it down for me. I was really shocked to get it back again!
I had great hopes that it would be returned to me (Disneyland mailed my cell phone to me after it was found in the Indiana Jones ride) but after talking with the rather lifeless and joyless sounding people at Lost and Found, my hopes plummetted. The front desk at Boardwalk tried to help but all they really did was file a report ... I think. I'm not even sure of that.

Anyway, the cost of a new tripod is really only based on the fact that i don't want to lose a $200-$400 tripod. I can be tempted by carbon fibre tripods but if I lost it, it would extremely distressing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: