DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

Marriott resorts near WDW vs. Value resort

We booked BLT for a long weekend at F&W in Oct 2013. It will be me, DH and our two kids (8 & 10). We are contemplating extending the weekend a couple of nights on the front end. Due to our use of points for trips earlier in 2013, we don't have extra points, so no staying at a DVC resort beyond the long weekend we already have booked. We are trying to keep our trip costs down, particularly in light of the fact that we are heading to Aulani/DL earlier in 2013. (yea!).

I see two options that would appeal to us. One is to stay at a value resort on site for two nights and then head to BLT. If I can get the rooms for a comparable price to other off-site hotels (say under $150/night), it may be worth it for proximity and pools. Plus we haven't stayed at a value and kids may enjoy the theming.

The other option is to use Marriott points we have saved for quite some time and stay at a Marriott resort near WDW. I have heard Grande Vista is nice, but Sabal Palms may be closer?

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of the Marriotts near WDW? Or any recommendations re staying at a value resort for a couple nights? We'd probably fly in late the first night, so we are really talking about one full day at the resort before heading to BLT.

Thanks!
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runmommyrun View Post
We booked BLT for a long weekend at F&W in Oct 2013. It will be me, DH and our two kids (8 & 10). We are contemplating extending the weekend a couple of nights on the front end. Due to our use of points for trips earlier in 2013, we don't have extra points, so no staying at a DVC resort beyond the long weekend we already have booked. We are trying to keep our trip costs down, particularly in light of the fact that we are heading to Aulani/DL earlier in 2013. (yea!).

I see two options that would appeal to us. One is to stay at a value resort on site for two nights and then head to BLT. If I can get the rooms for a comparable price to other off-site hotels (say under $150/night), it may be worth it for proximity and pools. Plus we haven't stayed at a value and kids may enjoy the theming.

The other option is to use Marriott points we have saved for quite some time and stay at a Marriott resort near WDW. I have heard Grande Vista is nice, but Sabal Palms may be closer?

Does anyone have any recommendations for any of the Marriotts near WDW? Or any recommendations re staying at a value resort for a couple nights? We'd probably fly in late the first night, so we are really talking about one full day at the resort before heading to BLT.

Thanks!
There are lots of choices. You could look at it as way to try other things or just to get some cheaper chill time. There are many top resorts. Grand Vista is a great option with a pool. Harbour Lakes has a phenomenal pool play area for younger kids. The Fountains has a pool area that is extremely nice. Or you could just go with something fairly cheap through say priceline or similar. I haven't looked in a while but I recall the Gaylord being available through priceline bidding for around $100 a night at times 1-2 years ago. One could likely rent points for the Fountains (only has 2 BR & a few 3 BR & presidential suites) for around $300 to $350 for 2 nights Fri & Sat (Presidential about 3X), less for other nights. Ultimately it depends on your situation, group and personal preferences. If you're getting in late and want to get to Disney early on the change day, I'd just go priceline or similar and spend the off day at the pool, Universal, shopping, dinner show or similar.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Depending on the time of year, priceline has hyatt regency grand cypress under $100 night, plus resort fee (covers expanded amenities) at checkin. We were able to add our hyatt passport # to the reservation by contacting hyatt and were upgraded to a lovely room with two balconies one with (distant) view of MK FW. There is also a DTD/Epcot view available. Their poolscape is top-notch but not much in way of casual dining.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #4
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Personally, I would prefer a value resort just so I wouldn't have to worry about moving the luggage.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
pmcpmc

Bite Me I'm Irish

Smile Staying at bonnet creek at the moment

I have been able to get a presidential suite very similar to DVC for $100/night .
AS we are coming down December 27th again seriously considering changing to Bonnet Creek by Wyndham
pmcpmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
ldo
DIS Veteran

At that age, my kids loved the theming of the values. We just stayed 1 night in Aug. prior to our week stay @ OKW. It was easy and I would do it again, even for 2 nights. There is a big food court, which is open, even at 10:30pm(when we got to All Stars Movies). The Marriotts are very nice, and I have stayed at most, but for 2 nights and 1 full day, I would just stay @ a value. We liked Pop and All Stars.
And, if you are going to a park on the full day, then it is even more a reason to stay onsite--buses, coming back early, if you want, etc.
ldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
MrShiny
DIS Veteran

And don't forget there is the new Art of Animation value resort. It seems a lot of people have been choosing that because of the themeing and not its value status.

Next trip:
Star Wars Celebration and COMMON Annual Meeting,
Disneyland Hotel April 2015
MrShiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
jennib5426
DIS Veteran

There is a marriott village across next to the outlet mall, about 3 minutes from entrance near DTD. The village has a Courtyard, Springhill & a Fairfield. All 3 of these offer free parking and suites if you need. I have never paid more then $89for any of these properties and they are not to high on the Marriott points.

Rooms are much bigger then value resorts

If you search on Marriott website put in Lake Buena Vista as the city.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

I didn't see mention of a car and/or other transport. If you stay in a value on site you can probably finagle your way around using Disney transport, including ME from the airport. Off site would be difficult without a car. I pretty much always have a car, so I have enjoyed staying off site, including at Sabal Palms and another Marriott prop. For what I understand you want to do, I'd say go for staying onsite, altho you may have a much smaller room for a day or two. (I love the theming of the onsite values, but not the room and bathroom size).
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #10
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies! I should have mentioned that we are renting a car, so we will have our own transportation. In order to make sure we had some reservation, I just booked a standard room (not a suite) at Art of Animation. While I wanted a suite in the Little Nemo area, I couldn't justify spending $650 for 2 nights compared to $250! My boys won't be overly thrilled with Little Mermaid, but we can still use the pool for the whole hotel. (I, as the only female in the household, must say I don't mind getting a Little Mermaid room!). We literally will be in this room for two nights to sleep (and the first night won't get in until close til midnight due to our flight), so I'm not overly concerned. We will head to BLT for the remainder of the trip, so we will have plenty of room there. I think we will save the Marriott points for another trip.

We've never done a value resort, and, I must say, I'm a bit excited to give it a try. My nephew is a HUGE Nemo fan, so I hope AoA is a hit. I'd love to take him to AoA for a couple of nights in the near future and then head to BLT or BCV. While I love all the DVC properties, the theming and artistry of the Values seems tough to beat from the perspective of a little kid! Again, thanks to all. Happy travels!
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Last January, we spent one night at one of the hotels in the Marriott Village. We were travelling with a friend who had points and wanted to treat us to a night.

I am very appreciative of our friend...but would not want to stay there again.

It was bumper to bumper traffic from the moment we left Disney property until we got there. It was a 35 minute drive!! And yes, the Marriott Village was almost within walking distance, and yes it was a 35 minute drive!!

The hotel was also kinda old and not up to snuff for Marriott. I did enjoy being able to walk to Carabbas from our hotel.

The breakfast buffet the next morning was not great. Somebody needs to explain that disgusting meat and potato stuff called Hash to me. Yuck!!

Its been a few years, but I only trust going as far out as Palm Parkway. My sister stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Palm Parkway in 2007 when it was very new, and enjoyed it. With that said, they stayed on property the next time.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Last edited by Mickey'sApprentice; 11-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
smidgy
dimples

be careful now.. once you try a value resort, you might find out you REALLY like it! esp the kids!

I would stay at AOA (by the way, the little mermaid rooms are really more "under the sea" decor, not so "girlish".

make SURE to walk over to Pop Century and check it out. both food courts (aoa and pop) are great.. check out the huge icons at Pop

you may find the values are wonderful!! and may find yourselves adding a few nights before all your trips!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

I would consider

1st choice would be FQ ( cause I LOVVVVVVVE hot tubs, and coffee makers)

2nd choice Swan/dolp ..coffee makers again.. and bed spreads from heaven.. no really heaven.

3rd a Value POP (I have not tried AOA)

2 days off site would cost you a car, and a pain to move.. IMO not worth it. I guess the swan is "off site" .. but it really isn't too
If it was a week maybe.. but 2 nights I would stay on site.

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
I would consider

1st choice would be FQ ( cause I LOVVVVVVVE hot tubs, and coffee makers)

2nd choice Swan/dolp ..coffee makers again.. and bed spreads from heaven.. no really heaven.

3rd a Value POP (I have not tried AOA)

2 days off site would cost you a car, and a pain to move.. IMO not worth it. I guess the swan is "off site" .. but it really isn't too
If it was a week maybe.. but 2 nights I would stay on site.
Plus, you have boat transportation to Epcot and DHS from Swan/Dolphin. Plus, the S&D, Boardwalk, Y&BC neighborhood is a really cool place to be. (We've not stayed at S&D but own DVC at BWV.)
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #15
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at Grande Vista, Cypress Harbor , and Harbor Lakes.
They are all wonderful.
WE stayed at Harbor lakes when our kids were your kids age. They had a blast by the pools.

We always stay a couple of days before we go to DVC.

If you belong to AAA they sometimes give great deals.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: