Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
la79al
DIS Veteran

Take along or shop there?

We are going in early March. 3 adults, 2 kids in carseats taking a 7 passenger minivan on the AutoTrain. Once we get down there, we are dropping 1 or 2 adults and both kids off at the condo, going to the airport to pick up 2 more adults. We are planning on eating most of our meals at the condo or packing for the parks. My question is, do we pack as much food as we can from home or should we just do most of the shopping down there? I know we are taking a large cooler with 'premade' meals (pulled pork, etc) along already. We would just be hitting Walmart down there for groceries but I'm wondering if that is going to be more expensive and more of a hassle than packing a lot of food. I know I will need to hit the store for some things regardless so I won't be able to avoid it completely.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I would try to bring stuff from home where you won't use all you would have to purchase as a full size: condiments like ketchup, mayo, etc. Heavier stuff like water, I would purchase there. Anything I could buy & use all of, I would purchase there. I think at most grocery stores in Orlando, prices are pretty similar to other places. I do think the closer you are to WDW, the prices rise.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
pmartzloff
Earning My Ears

For convenience sake, I'd use the garden grocer and have the groceries delivered!
pmartzloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
kwdw
DIS Veteran

I'd bring what you can from home since you will have a car - especially non-perishable items or items that you just need a little bit. I find prices around Disney - even at Walmart/Target - higher than at home and I don't find the selection I am used to. And because I don't know the store layouts - it takes longer than I want. Plus - it will save time when you hit the store - smaller list of things that are hard to bring from home - less time in store!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
ironpig70
DIS Veteran

I would do it from home as you know at your store you are getting what brands you like. May not have that in Orlando for some odd reason.

Also from home you can shop over a month or two and spread out the money outlay.

Like said the bigger stuff which is more common ie water I would get there as water is pretty much water.
ironpig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
rhanson77
Earning My Ears

Shop there

I guess I'll take the other side. On the last three trips to Disney, we've stayed in a resort with a kitchen. We bring some stuff from home, but I've always gone to a Publix nearby to get groceries and waterbottles. I have found that the prices are not much more expensive than I would find in my local Krogers or Wal-mart. So I don't feel the pressure to get everything packed in my SUV - just the essentials and I'll pick up what I need there.
rhanson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

If you aren't big over packers take some food, who really wants to do grocery shopping in Disney. It might be somewhat more expensive but when I went here to buy an extra suitcase( I over bought), I found the prices fine. I guess it also might be from where you are from at home, city, versus more rural...
Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
msp2mco
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on what you are buying too. I always bring salt and pepper, drink mixes, and a few other non-perishables with me (we fly). I've packed a small cooler in my suitcase with some food too, but it gets heavy.

However, if you want fresh fruit, meat, milk, eggs, etc., I'd buy it once I got to Orlando.
msp2mco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: