Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: POLL-- Does Starbucks Belong at Walt Disney World?
Yes, I love Starbucks 268 38.34%
No Way Starbucks is overrated 137 19.60%
Depends on the Price 7 1.00%
I don't care 144 20.60%
Disney should offer something "special" not Starbucks 128 18.31%
It's fine, but I will get my coffee elsewhere 15 2.15%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #106
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

If they had to add a coffee shop to MK - they should have gone with Dunkin' Donuts. DD has great coffee! I do NOT LIKE Starbucks coffee. I feel that it has a bitter taste.

I am already out-voted! I lose!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #107
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto
If they had to add a coffee shop to MK - they should have gone with Dunkin' Donuts. DD has great coffee! I do NOT LIKE Starbucks coffee. I feel that it has a bitter taste.

I am already out-voted! I lose!
Blech no, dd coffee is horrendous As are their 'speciality' coffee drinks.

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #108
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
Blech no, dd coffee is horrendous As are their 'speciality' coffee drinks.
Completely agree. Its weak and tasteless. Starbucks isn't exactly the creme de la creme of coffee but its about the best you're gonna get on the 'high st'.
WedgieSock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #109
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgieSock View Post
Completely agree. Its weak and tasteless. Starbucks isn't exactly the creme de la creme of coffee but its about the best you're gonna get on the 'high st'.
I admit I don't drink regular coffee&cream at Starbucks (if I wanted that, I'd make it at home in my hipster french press) but their specialty drinks are very tasty. Every time I've been to Dunkin' in recent years everything I've bought has been pretty awful, even the donuts.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -

Old 11-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #110
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I admit I don't drink regular coffee&cream at Starbucks (if I wanted that, I'd make it at home in my hipster french press) but their specialty drinks are very tasty. Every time I've been to Dunkin' in recent years everything I've bought has been pretty awful, even the donuts.
Agreed If you add an extra shot of espresso to an SB specialty drink, I find that works .... if you have a good barista.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #111
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Quote:
I'm glad I don't live near your DD!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #112
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
I'm glad I don't live near your DD!
It's not just mine though, I've been to several in Ohio and Chicago. Maybe it's the midwest?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #113
copper0426
In search of a 6 pack and when she finds it will share with the TF!
Dixie Landings Vet
This TF (of the Resort & Reward boards) is inspired by Diane's enthusiasm!

Location: Dania, Fl - 3 hour drive from Disney our 2nd Home well 2 1/2 if hubby drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
A few thoughts for the "Disney should do their own special thing..." camp:

Disney did do their own special version of a coffee shop. It was called the Fountainview Espresso and Bakery.

It opened in November of 1993 as an annex of the Sunrise Terrace in Epcot (the remainder of which was converted into Pasta Piazza by May of 1994.)

It was a full on "coffee shop" with bakery items and froofy drinks. It served Nescafe products as well as Disney food items. It had/has a show kitchen bakery in the rear and is entirely setup akin to a modern Starbucks but with two-sided ordering. There was even ridiculous "coffee" theme items covering the walls.

It never did well. It failed to attract guests and by 2001 it was on seasonal operation. The adjacent Pasta Piazza also failed to attract guests. Pasta Piazza became Character Connection as a test and due to the success of that test it was closed, torn down, and then finally became Character Spot.

Fountainview lingered on as a seasonal offering, until finally in 2007 they tore out the bakery case and put in ice cream as a menu offering. It has remained open as merely The Fountainview Cafe since then.

Disney's own conceptualization of a modern coffee shop failed to attract guests in one of the busiest theme parks in the world at one of the heaviest foot traffic areas. It simply wasn't good and it was a failure.

Now do any of us really think Starbucks is going to fail at that same location?

If you consider that factually, you can see why they're not going to attempt to make yet another Disney version of a Starbucks but rather just put a proper Starbucks offering in place at Fountainview and the Main Street Bakery.
I really have no idea what you are talking about there was never a time when we were at EPCOT and Fountainview didn't have lines out the door. It was a great place to grab a bite.

Having been there at least three to four times a year for the past 20 years. It had been a regular stop for us. We were disappointed when Edy's went in.

Well to each their own. Getting back on topic. My DH loves Starbucks has got our son into it. They hate the coffee at Disney. As long as they don't take away the Cinnamon buns, Croissant Sandwiches and the yogurt parfait, I will be ok with it.

me DH DS Ddog
Our little family has visited WDW 3 to 4 times a year since 1996. DH and I have been visiting together since 1992. Been there done that can't wait to go back

copper0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #114
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper0426 View Post
I really have no idea what you are talking about there was never a time when we were at EPCOT and Fountainview didn't have lines out the door. It was a great place to grab a bite.

Having been there at least three to four times a year for the past 20 years. It had been a regular stop for us. We were disappointed when Edy's went in.

Well to each their own. Getting back on topic. My DH loves Starbucks has got our son into it. They hate the coffee at Disney. As long as they don't take away the Cinnamon buns, Croissant Sandwiches and the yogurt parfait, I will be ok with it.
Yeah I remember it being pretty busy as well. Actually I think that's the same place I got to see NSYNC and touch their hands!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:23 AM   #115
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsdragon View Post
They over roast their beans
They stopped doing that years ago. Well, they still do sell some over roasted coffee, but their everyday drip coffee is no longer one of the over roasted ones.
vacationer1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #116
OrangeCat04
You may have noticed that im not all there myself ~ Cheshire Cat

I couldn't be happier, what Disney passes off as coffee is the most putrid drink I have ever had. I have no sentimental attachment to a bakery located in one of the busiest theme parks in the world. They should have done this sooner, and I hope the resorts follow suit.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #117
MichVick
Mouseketeer

I don't drink coffee so it doesn't really matter much to me, but I will be travelling with huge Starbucks fans so they are happy about it
Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #118
WedgieSock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's not just mine though, I've been to several in Ohio and Chicago. Maybe it's the midwest?
Nope, they are terrible here in GA too!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #119
jvptravels
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacationer1954
It isn't surprising that Disney is bringing in one of the most popular and fastest growing coffees in the country to replace the horrible coffee that has been complained about for at least the few years I've been here. For those who don't know about why people like Starbucks besides just how good their coffee is, you should know that Starbucks consistently does right by its employees. For example, they closed all their stores well before the transit system shut down before Hurricane Sandy, so their staff could get home safely. And doing good by their employees forces their competitors to do good too. After Starbucks announced that they were closing their stores, their biggest competitor had to do the same.
Thank for pointing this out. I've been a manager for SBUX and TDS. I was working at TDS inSF on 9/11/01. After it became obvious that out country was attacked, my DM made me keep my team in the store, unloading boxes until she said otherwise. When I received direction from the Disney corporate office to send my team home, my DM wrote me up when we returned to work for not following her instructions.

Starbucks is a truly great company. They care about their employees, and are one of the most responsible corporations I know of. I respect Starbucks as a company, much more than I will ever respect Disney.
jvptravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #120
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

Quote:
It could be..Here in RI, we have a Dunkin' Donuts practically on every street corner. I drink their iced coffee year round. I also like their donuts and specialty drinks.

We had a Krispy Kreme here for a couple of years- it tanked. The only good donuts there were the plain glazed, and even then they had to be warm. Their coffee also sucked. It saw big crowds when it first opened, because of the curiosity factor. Once that died down, they didn't do so well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: