Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

To bring (the DSLR) or not to bring, that is the question...

The question is pretty self explanatory, but here's a little back story... My family consists of me, my hubs and our 7yo daughter. We are both pretty amateur photographers that have taken a few pretty basic classes. We bought a used DSLR when we got our daughter (she's adopted) and quickly "traded up" to a new Nikon D40 because we liked it so much and felt like we were using it enough to justify. We both know enough to operate the camera in full manual at least and enjoy playing around and learning how to take better photographs with trial and error.

So we took a cruise 2 years ago and brought the DSLR because hey, why have a nice camera if you're not going to use it right? We debated about it because we didn't want it to get messed up, but in the end we brought it. And I got my husband a nice "camera sling" for it because my DSLR bag was too girly and he wanted to play with it too, fine. Unfortunately while at the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman he didn't zip the sling when he bent over to pick up a sea turtle. Plop! $500 camera (at least when we bought it) at the bottom of a salt water tank. We got it out, but it could not be saved because of the salt, lens either. We did recover the pics off the SD card but that was about it. He got me the D3100 for my birthday the next month, nearly the same camera but with video. Been enjoying it but babying it. To me it shouldn't have been a birthday present since he ruined the original but I didn't say that out loud.

At any rate we did not bring it to Disneyland last year because the wounds were still too fresh, but I'm considering bringing it to Disney World in 2 weeks. All the water rides are going to be closed, they are usually my concern since I don't want to have to put it in a locker and I don't have anyone to hold it. Now don't get me wrong, I realize sometimes stuff just happens, but should I be concerned about bringing it to the parks for a family trip? We will definitely be riding all the big rides, and I do have a purse style camera bag for it. I know the D3100 isn't the most expensive or high end DSLR, but I really don't want to have to replace it again. It's the best I've got and if it gets ruined I likely won't get another till Christmas lol. And seriously we aren't pros, we probably don't NEED more than our point and shoot, but again I go back to... why have a nice camera if I'm not going to use it!! Anyways just wanted some other thoughts and experiences, any horrible mishaps with your big cameras? Any tips if I decide to bring it?

12/14 DLR ~ 2/13 Pop ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 Pop ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips to WDW & DLR

Last edited by meowmarie; 01-20-2013 at 01:52 AM.
meowmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Tigerlulu
Mouseketeer

Bring it!

2 reasons I say that:
1. I went on vacation last year with my family with a very nice point and shoot and I hated it. I hated taking pictures that I knew could've turned out so much better if I'd had my dslr. And I still had to carry around a camera so it didn't feel like I had really traveled that much lighter.

2. The hardest lesson I ever learned was that family pictures preserve memories and you can never replace those. My baby nephew passed away at 20 months old and we barely have any pictures of him. The ones we do have are terrible quality. And we have no video. Suddenly it was crystal clear to me how important taking good quality photos is. Like I said, hardest lesson I ever learned but I learned it well. Pictures tell stories of your life and your family's lives together and can be passed down through generations.

So take the dslr and enjoy your trip!
Tigerlulu is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #3
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

First, insure your equipment. If you own a home, you can put it on your homeowners policy cheap! Second, in case of rain, which in January/February it usually isn't as big an issue as in the summer months, bring a small supply of large baggies that you can slip your camera inside to keep it dry (I went one step further and bought dry bags from Cabelas). Ensure you have a good comfortable strap because you will want to have your camera out and ready to go for any good photo-op with your child (I use the Black Rapid system, but there are others). As those who frequent this forum know, I bring an inordinate amount of equipment to WDW for my trips. Photography is an intregral part of my vacation and I cannot think of not bringing it!!
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Yeah I could claim it on my homeowners, we could have before, but the deductible is more than the camera lol. I know I would love having it with me, we got to take the old one on one road trip before it got ruined and I got some great shots, at least to me. Posted some below. Let me ask, if I bring it and it's really raining one day I might leave it in the room. Do you think those little safes are big enough to hold it? Thanks for the advice, I think I just need a pep talk

12/14 DLR ~ 2/13 Pop ~ 2/12 DLR ~ 12/09 Pop ~ 8/08 FWC ~ 6 pre-2000 trips to WDW & DLR

Last edited by meowmarie; 01-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

I understand the hesitation to bring it, considering the way your first camera was lost. But in reality, if you're afraid to use it, the new camera isn't doing you any more good than the broken one. Your nervousness as a result of that accident has essentially lost you the use of two cameras.

As the PP said, insure your equipment and have fun using it worry free.

I was able to add a "valuable personal property" rider onto my homeowner's policy to cover my cameras, lenses, and equipment with no deductible. The cost was $51 to cover about $4,500 worth of gear.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
havoc315
DIS Veteran

As you said, why have it if you're not going to use it. And Disney World is a great place to use it.
I've brought my camera on Kali River Rapids, storing it in the camera bag, in the center compartment, without any problem.
Just bring a decent camera bag, and put away the camera if conditions get bad... Water rides, rain. Don't take it to the pool.
But unless you have a true top quality p&s, the shots won't get anywhere near what you get with your dSLR.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmarie View Post
Yeah I could claim it on my homeowners, we could have before, but the deductible is more than the camera lol. I know I would love having it with me, we got to take the old one on one road trip before it got ruined and I got some great shots. Let me ask, if I bring it and it's really raining one day I might leave it in the room. Do you think those little safes are big enough to hold it? Thanks for the advice, I think I just need a pep talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post
I understand the hesitation to bring it, considering the way your first camera was lost. But in reality, if you're afraid to use it, the new camera isn't doing you any more good than the broken one. Your nervousness as a result of that accident has essentially lost you the use of two cameras.

As the PP said, insure your equipment and have fun using it worry free.

I was able to add a "valuable personal property" rider onto my homeowner's policy to cover my cameras, lenses, and equipment with no deductible. The cost was $51 to cover about $4,500 worth of gear.
Please check with your insurance agent because like BoP Dave said, mine are insured with no deductible. I use my gear in places that many would cringe. In the past year I have had repaired, two (one of them twice for a total of 3 repairs) DSLR's, two battery grips and one lens! Fortunately many of these repairs were under warranty, but this is just an example of my gear going in harms way. I would insure them and go have fun.

As far as the safes, they are narrow so you may have to dismount the lens. They also make camera bags with attached rain covers. I have a Lowepro slingshot with that functionality and it works well.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Ok that's good to know about the home owners. I think I have a separate rider for my wedding ring like that. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I take my DSLR everywhere so I say bring it.

I understand being leery of taking gear after dropping a camera into water like that. But like others have said, that's what insurance is for. The policy I have with my homeowners, which is in addition to my regular insurance, has a $100 deductible. I could have paid a sightly higher premium and had no deductible. My particular policy specifically lists each piece of my gear and is for replacement value. I have another general policy that covers the laptops, iPads, etc. with no deductible.

I know you said they're closed on your trip but water rides with a DSLR are no big deal. That's what plastic bags and giant ziplock baggies are for. You should have one on you just in case it rains anyway. I carried all my gear in one at DHS in the middle of a downpour in 2010 and not a drop got on anything.

Last edited by photo_chick; 01-20-2013 at 10:56 PM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
coloneldebugger
Mouseketeer

Bring it, if you decide not to use it leave it in the safe in your room. At least you'll have it if you want it.
coloneldebugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I always say bring it.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:33 PM   #12
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

I dropped a Pentax K1000 on the concrete 30 years ago and have not dropped a camera since! I bet your hubby will not make that same costly mistake twice in a lifetime. Bring the camera and enjoy it!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
meowmarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh2 View Post
I dropped a Pentax K1000 on the concrete 30 years ago and have not dropped a camera since! I bet your hubby will not make that same costly mistake twice in a lifetime. Bring the camera and enjoy it!
He better not! If I can't afford a new camera I REALLY can't afford a divorce!

Last edited by meowmarie; 01-20-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Do bring it with you. It's a shame to have a good camera and not use it. Insurance is a good idea, though, my homeowner's insurance rider makes me comfortable bringing my DSLR everywhere with me.

I do understand the water fear. DH's point and shoot is known as my Parisian souvenir, acquired after I dropped the one it replaced in the Seine. Good times.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
traylorc
DIS Veteran

To me WDW is one of the most photogenic places on the planet...therefore I want my SLR to record my trip. It can be a pain to haul your SLR around to all of the parks, but once I get home and review/process my shots...it makes it all worthwhile.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: