Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
maman_et_fille
Just a spoonful of sugar . . .

Yikes - so much has changed in a year!

We have been to WDW a number of times and pretty much had everything down to a science . . . but since we've last been, they've started enforcing FP return times, opened New Fantasyland, and added Photopass Plus. We're not even sure where to begin. We aren't commando tourers but we like to have a plan that minimizes waiting and maximizes time to stop and smell the roses.

First - we are used to pulling FPs for the headliners and returning whenever it was convenient. How should we plan to adjust? I'm primarily thinking of Test Track, Soarin', Big Thunder, the Safari, and TSMM, but welcome any input.

Second - how do the attractions in New Fantasyland change the game plan? (I know it's barely open but I have not kept up with the buzz.) Is Dumbo still the first must-do, or is it Peter Pan or Journey Under the Sea? (We have two little girls.)

Third - I know what Photopass Plus is - but do you think it is worth it?

We are way behind in starting to plan for our January 2013 trip - any tips or info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

June 2009 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge; January 2010 -- Wilderness Lodge; January 2011 -- Contemporary + "Bonus" Days -- Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2011 -- Bay Lake Tower; November 2011 -- Old Key West; January 2012 -- Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House), August 2012 - Disney Magic to Canada; January 2013 -- Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House); January 2014 Saratoga Springs Resort/POP Century; February 2014 --GSC Girls' Weekend at Art of Animation; July 2014 -- 10th Anniversary Trip at Beach Club Villas
maman_et_fille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

First - we are used to pulling FPs for the headliners and returning whenever it was convenient. How should we plan to adjust? I'm primarily thinking of Test Track, Soarin', Big Thunder, the Safari, and TSMM, but welcome any input.

HS has been opening anywhere from 8:30am to 8:45am lately so if you're doing rope drop, get there early. Characters have also been waiting outside the park so you can take photos with Stitch, Daisy, Donald and Minnie before the park has technically opened. For TSM, head there first. You can grab a FP, jump into standby and then return for your FP time.

The other attractions aren't that dissimilar than before. The main thing for the FP's, check the return time before you take the FP. Is it going to clash with the reservation or something else? If it's several hours away, are you going to track back? If it's a sooner return time, are there attractions nearby that will fill the time? We got a Jungle Cruise FP a few months ago that was an hour away. We jumped on Aladdin's Magic Carpets, POTC and watched the Pirate Tutorial to fill in the time. Other FP's, we have just not bothered with as we knew didn't have enough nearby to fill in the time we won't walk back from another area of the park.

Second - how do the attractions in New Fantasyland change the game plan? (I know it's barely open but I have not kept up with the buzz.) Is Dumbo still the first must-do, or is it Peter Pan or Journey Under the Sea? (We have two little girls.)
If you have two little girls and want to do the Belle Storytime, I'd head there first as that has been getting very busy. Dumbo isn't that bad, as you can Fastpass that now but generally, it's not necessary. Peter Pan would be my next choice for a ride, or head for Journey, someone else grab a Peter Pan FP, head for Dumbo and your PP FP might be ready by then. If not, you can do some more rides in Fantasyland while you wait for your Peter Pan FP return time.

Third - I know what Photopass Plus is - but do you think it is worth it?
Photopass+ is different for each family. Are you going to do many character meals and would you be buying the photos from each meal? Do you usually get the ride photos?

Participating attractions:
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Rock 'n Roller Coaster
Expedition Everest
Dinosaur

Character dining locations offering print packages include:
1900 Park Fare
Ohana
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
Chef Mickey's
Cinderella's Royal Table (photo package already included in meal)
Tusker House
Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue
Akershus Princess Storybook Dining (photo package already included in meal)

You need to do a rough calculation to see if it's worth it for your family. You have to order PP+ at least 14 days before you arrive to get the discounted price and there is NO refund on PP+. If you pre order it now, you can get it for $149, instead of $199 at the parks.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: