Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #61
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Maybe we just go a times when the CS places aren't busy. We've been going to WDW at least once a year fro 20 and eat CS once a day and we've never had anyone tell us that we can't sit down before we get our food. Most of the time there are rooms or other levels roped off. I've even seen folks at Columbia Harbour House eating food from Pecos Bills and visa versa. I just can't take all of this too seriously.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
Old 11-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #62
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I'd rather have my family sit down and get all the food at once as well. And we did on our last trip before I even knew there was a problem. Once the other side was presented, I'm more than happy to bring everyone through the line.

Personally, I think the wish for a survey is silly. I don't think Disney would make this kind of change without researching the issue. Nothing with Disney tends to happen without purpose. If it wasn't a problem, or wasn't happening often, I don't think they'd implement an entirely knew procedure in doing things.
Yes, the wish was silly - but only hypothetical. And I do think they have researched it but I don't think it is a problem. I think they based it on what almost all their decisions are based on - MONEY. They have researched that they'll be able to turn over some tables more quickly so they'll end up with more money in their pocket. But I don't believe it was an actual issue that they were trying to resolve. At least not for many people.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #63
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah View Post
This is interesting. I know that at Pecos Bill, when you order a Taco Salad, you have to go over the the "fixin's bar" to get the lettuce,tomatoes, etc for the salad. I actually like the taco salad that I get there--one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, it could have been us (probably wasn't). It could look that way to an uninformed observer, that a person who ordered a Taco Salad was "stealing" from the fixin's bar.
No this couple did not order anything for the wife. They did not have a paper tray with a shell and meat, just one paper thingy with a hamburger in it. After putting the fixins on his hamburger, the husband put his hamburger on a bunch of napkins, then handed the little paper tray the hamburger came in to his wife and rather rudely told her to go get her a salad in it. She made three trips up there refilling that little paper container his hamburger had came in. I like their taco salads too, but this was definitely the little paper thingy his burger came in. What made me mad, was the way he slapped her hand and snapped at her when she reached for one of his french fries. He just appeared to be a big, cheap, bully.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #64
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
Maybe we just go a times when the CS places aren't busy. We've been going to WDW at least once a year fro 20 and eat CS once a day and we've never had anyone tell us that we can't sit down before we get our food. Most of the time there are rooms or other levels roped off. I've even seen folks at Columbia Harbour House eating food from Pecos Bills and visa versa. I just can't take all of this too seriously.
It is a new policy so just don't be surprised if you encounter it, or unpleasant to the CM who has this odious task.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #65
gwmort
DIS Veteran

I think it makes more sense if you picture the through-put per table.

For a given table, you will serve more patrons per day if you only serve eating patrons and not also host patrons waiting to eat (who will then need to take time to eat).

It just seems logical its a more efficient use of table space when it is at a premium.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #66
nanalisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baler31 View Post
It is a new policy so just don't be surprised if you encounter it, or unpleasant to the CM who has this odious task.
Just because I don't like to be micro-managed doesn't mean I'm going to be unpleasant to a CM.

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #67
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
I think it makes more sense if you picture the through-put per table.

For a given table, you will serve more patrons per day if you only serve eating patrons and not also host patrons waiting to eat (who will then need to take time to eat).

It just seems logical its a more efficient use of table space when it is at a premium.
Exactly. Think of it this way... Let's say there are 10 tables. If it takes 10 minutes of waiting time for your family member to get the food (very optimistic) and 20 minutes to eat the food, each table would be taken up for 30 minutes per family eating if all those families were to sit down at a table before getting their food. So in the course of an hour, those 10 tables would be able to accommodate 20 families. Now assume that no one sits at a table before they get their food. Each table is now only occupied for 20 minutes per family. Suddenly, instead of 20 families getting to eat at a table, there is now table space for 30 families.

Every report I've seen from someone who has been there when this policy is in place has said they had either no wait or just a couple minutes wait before getting a table to eat. So you don't have to worry that you won't have a place to sit to eat if the restaurants are enforcing this policy.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #68
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Wow, if they want whole families waiting in those CS lines, they need to make them more spacious. There is no room there. I can't picture the nine of us (eight plus a stroller) standing in that line. But more so, once you have the food, moving a large group past all the other families waiting in line.

Also, how fast do you all eat anyway! And once you get the table then, everyone has to get settled (even though you already have the food) and then everyone has to go over to get condiments and napkins and straws. We usually have the drinks and carry them over to the table first. It seems so inefficient and not much of a time safer either. Then again, we do go in September and tend to eat at off times so it may be much different during peak times - yet during peak times when it is really crowded how do all the people wait in line?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #69
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

When our family goes through the line, DH or I order and the other one stands back with the kids out of the way. It's not like you have to drag your whole family through a line if you don't want to. The concept is simple, people who have food get to use the tables first. I really don't get why this is such a big deal. If Disney wants to use this system, just do what they ask.

Three Broomsticks at IOA uses this system and it works great. It would be nice if Disney is using CMs to help locate a table the way Three Broomsticks does. And BOG has the best system of all. When we went, there was a massive line. All I could think of was what a nightmare finding a table would be. And it was so simple and efficient!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #70
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Let me begin by saying that I usually steer clear of any controversial issues on these boards. I try to always be nice in my replies and only comment if I can say something nice or helpful. I'm not even sure why I'm making an exception here, and I will try to be as nice as I can while expressing my opinion. But you did say make you a believer, so I'm trying to address each comment in an effort to explain why I think it's a good policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
We do this too....It's just way more efficient to combine them - instead of having us all stand around waiting for the food.

So, people who love this policy - make me a believer. I would hope that the CM's verify that there IS, actually, available seating for everyone here, right. I would not be happy if when I take my whole family through line and have full trays of food to then be told 'oh - sorry, no tables available, please wait'.

Bingo! Those who don't save tables have to do EXACTLY that because people are sitting at the tables without food.

As I would MUCH prefer to wait my turn for a table with no food before getting into line for food rather than wait afterward with trays in hand.

But if I'm in line getting my food 10 minutes ahead of you, you are NOT waiting your turn for a table. Waiting your turn means you don't sit down before the people in line ahead of you. They were there first.

If this is the case and there is ALWAYS a table available with no waiting with this new policy - well then I might be convinced.

This is unreasonable. ALWAYS can't be guaranteed. This just evens the playing field. If you go at a busy time of year, you will likely have a wait. The wait is less if this policy is in force. It's been proven.

But, I have waited for a table (sans food) several times for 5 - or 10 minutes before. And I am not positive that this policy really frees up tables that much more that there is zero wait times at all times.

Okay, here's a senerio: you are waiting (sans food) for a table for 10 minutes. One opens up and you snag it. Someone who has a tray of food has been waiting for a table as well. Why do you think you should have the table ahead of the person who was clearly at the restaurant before you? How is that right?

Also - CM's (for me to be a believer) would also have to strictly enforce 'first served food, first seated' - as in, if I'm waiting a minute or two for a table and someone else comes from a different line and swipes the table I've been waiting for - here again, with food in hand I would be a LOT less happy about this. So basically - no line cutting allowed.

Unless it's you saving a table (sans food)?

CM's who have done this - does it really free up that many tables? Are the food ordering lines even more out of control because for every one order there are 4 - 5 people now standing in line?
Quote:
I understand that totally. That's why I am happy to wait my turn - I just prefer to do it pre-food. And the only people that have to wait with food are either singles or MAYBE single parents with very small children

So they don't count, right?

(I went solo with my 2 kids when they were 3 and 4 and purposefully brought lots of food in the stroller to avoid this AND chose the CS place we went carefully to allow me to set them up at a table that was right next to the CS line so I could have them and our stuff and our stroller right at a table already and I could wait in line, chat with them, and watch them the whole time).

While I can see it reducing wait times a bit...I still think many will linger longer while they eat to get the needed break time in...And I think it stinks to have to force people to eat cold food if they're waiting longer than 60 seconds for a table once food is in hand.

I do agree with this statement. Unfortunately people who sit down before getting food, make people to just that.

I wish they would do a survey of people who wait for tables with food and find out how many actually are forced into it vs. people who choose to do it (as in - only one adult in the party and no kids/friends/etc old enough to hold a table themselves). If the vast majority are just choosing it (as in - too rushed/impatient to actually wait their turn for a table before they get into line to order) then I say HEY - they're CHOOSING to be standing there holding their food with no tables. But, again, I might be convinced if that is wrong and the vast majority are actually forced into it. I just think that of the population visiting WDW the percentage of parties that are a single person or only one person over the age of 13 (assuming this is old enough to hold a table for most people) in the group is very small, I would guess. And many of these might not have issues anyway (many of the singles might be find just grabbing a single seat at an otherwise occupied table and many of the single parents might do what I did and just plan around it). Anyway - seems to me like the number of people for which this is an actual problem would be very small.
This entire last paragraph just boggles my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
When our family goes through the line, DH or I order and the other one stands back with the kids out of the way. It's not like you have to drag your whole family through a line if you don't want to. The concept is simple, people who have food get to use the tables first. I really don't get why this is such a big deal. If Disney wants to use this system, just do what they ask.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #71
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As I would MUCH prefer to wait my turn for a table with no food before getting into line for food rather than wait afterward with trays in hand.
The problem with that is that not every guest can do that, because they cannot reserve tables without an extra adult or enough older children around to "hold" the table for them, while every guest can get their food first, and then go search out a table. I want the system to work the same for all guests, not better for those of a specific size and composition and worse for others.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #72
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, the wish was silly - but only hypothetical. And I do think they have researched it but I don't think it is a problem. I think they based it on what almost all their decisions are based on - MONEY. They have researched that they'll be able to turn over some tables more quickly so they'll end up with more money in their pocket. But I don't believe it was an actual issue that they were trying to resolve. At least not for many people.
I don't think it's a money issue at all. The tables aren't turning to get them more money as they would in a TS restaurant. People are ordering and paying for their food AND THEN going to use the tables. They get the same money regardless if those tables are turned over. The issue is people waiting AFTER they've paid and/or having to sit elsewhere. But the money remains the same.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #73
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
If there are areas roped off, then I would agree that you're there during a less busy time.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #74
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

DH and I were at MNSSHP back in Sept and ate dinner at Pecos Bill. And it was PACKED.
I knew about the new policy but here's the thing. While waiting to order, I realized my blood sugar was dropping very quickly and I needed to sit down. (I have type 1 diabetes and am on an insulin pump). I did adjust my insulin but it takes a little while for that to have some effect and I was so panicky and not feeling well (about to pass out) that I even forgot I had some candy on me from trick or treating!..so I went to find a table. I figured I would just explain my situation if asked by a CM to move. But I was nervous etc. I don't do well with confrontation when my sugar is that low. I tend to cry uncontrollably...I was actually scared to be confronted....
Anyway, I managed to find a chair or a ledge somewhere and sat there instead and waited for DH to find me so then we could grab a table. It was then I remembered I had candy, so ate a Tootsie Roll....

We don't have kids but have come to WDW with my mom who was 85 at the time and most CS meals, she'd go grab a table because she couldn't stand and wait. And I would never expect her to.
I didn't like this policy when it came out and I still don't. I didn't like having to worry about being asked to move when my blood sugar was like 30 or 40 something, when that really was the first priority.
And if a CM asked my mom to move, I would have had a hard time with that as well. (Don't get me started when people wouldn't give up their seat to her on a WDW bus once during our wedding trip).

My parents have used the holding table technique since I was little, so back to the 70's. If I was a CM, I would never have asked a father with 3 children to move, even if it was policy.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #75
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Good grief. All the angst over this. Just remember that if you go to a large CS in the parks at a very crowded time it is possible that they will not let your party sit down before you have your food. Yes, even if you have children. They do it to expedite the time it will take guests who already have food to find a table, eat and leave. They do NOT do it all the time, except at Be Our Guest which is set up so that you order before any of your party is seated. There isn't any choice there, even if you have children.

If you have a medical condition that requires you to sit down immediately, ask a cast member. If that is the case they are going to find you a place to sit down. They are not going to say "no you can't sit down until you have your food, you will just have to pass out right here." If you have an elderly party member who cannot stand, ASK if they can sit down. I don't know what to say if you don't want to ask for whatever reason.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: