Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #46
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigepmike View Post
People lose their minds at DisneyWorld!
I get my best stories from scary WDW guests
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #47
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater
 
MickeyNicki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Naples Florida
Posts: 21,479

Yes that is very common at Peco Bills..you have to be seated by a CM
MickeyNicki is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #48
brymolmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,767

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
Or perhaps you could sit outside on one of the many benches so that the kids little legs can get some much needed rest as opposed to taking up table space while others are looking for a spot to sit and eat - just a thought.

Yes, I'm a fan of the policy. Restaurants are for eating; taking up extra table time to lounge is IMHO rude.
We do this too....It's just way more efficient to combine them - instead of having us all stand around waiting for the food.

So, people who love this policy - make me a believer. I would hope that the CM's verify that there IS, actually, available seating for everyone here, right. I would not be happy if when I take my whole family through line and have full trays of food to then be told 'oh - sorry, no tables available, please wait'. As I would MUCH prefer to wait my turn for a table with no food before getting into line for food rather than wait afterward with trays in hand. If this is the case and there is ALWAYS a table available with no waiting with this new policy - well then I might be convinced. But, I have waited for a table (sans food) several times for 5 - or 10 minutes before. And I am not positive that this policy really frees up tables that much more that there is zero wait times at all times.

Also - CM's (for me to be a believer) would also have to strictly enforce 'first served food, first seated' - as in, if I'm waiting a minute or two for a table and someone else comes from a different line and swipes the table I've been waiting for - here again, with food in hand I would be a LOT less happy about this. So basically - no line cutting allowed.

CM's who have done this - does it really free up that many tables? Are the food ordering lines even more out of control because for every one order there are 4 - 5 people now standing in line?
brymolmom is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #49
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo
 
miprender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: RI (Home of the Big Blue Bug)
Posts: 4,689

I remember reading about this in 2011 and not liking the policy.

But it really wasn't as bad as I had read. They were enforcing it at Pinnochos Hause (sp) but we were able to find a table as soon as we had our food.
__________________
--- DD10 , DS8 , DS5 , DH, me(Michelle)
FBStore: Mi Creations Trip Years: 1996,1997,2001,2006,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
miprender is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #50
nanalisa
DIS Veteran
 
nanalisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
We do this too....It's just way more efficient to combine them - instead of having us all stand around waiting for the food.

So, people who love this policy - make me a believer. I would hope that the CM's verify that there IS, actually, available seating for everyone here, right. I would not be happy if when I take my whole family through line and have full trays of food to then be told 'oh - sorry, no tables available, please wait'. As I would MUCH prefer to wait my turn for a table with no food before getting into line for food rather than wait afterward with trays in hand. If this is the case and there is ALWAYS a table available with no waiting with this new policy - well then I might be convinced. But, I have waited for a table (sans food) several times for 5 - or 10 minutes before. And I am not positive that this policy really frees up tables that much more that there is zero wait times at all times.

Also - CM's (for me to be a believer) would also have to strictly enforce 'first served food, first seated' - as in, if I'm waiting a minute or two for a table and someone else comes from a different line and swipes the table I've been waiting for - here again, with food in hand I would be a LOT less happy about this. So basically - no line cutting allowed.

CM's who have done this - does it really free up that many tables? Are the food ordering lines even more out of control because for every one order there are 4 - 5 people now standing in line?
I'm not a believer either. It makes perfect sense to me to have one person get in line for food and everyone else can find a table, get condiments, napkins, straws and be ready to eat when the food comes. For all of us to stand around and wait. I'm more of an every man for himself kind of person rather to be met with more rules and regulations.
__________________

91 off prop; 92 CBR; 93 DL; 95 DL & WL; 96 WL; 97 CSR & WL; 98 (Nov) DL; 99 CBR, Poly & BC; 01 AKL & Contemp; 02 (Jan) WL; 02 POR & Poly; 03 AKL; 05 POFQ, WL & SSR; 06 (July) Boardwalk & Contemporary; 07 (Oct) AKL; 09 (August) ASMU & WL; 10 (Oct) POR; 11 (Dec) POR; 13 (Jan) POR; 14 (July) CSR
nanalisa is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #51
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie'sMom
As a single mom who takes DD to WDW by myself, I whole-heartedly support the policy of you can't sit at a table until you have your food. I wish they'd enforce it all the time.

It's not as much of a problem not that DD is older, but I remember how frustrating it was on our first trip by ourselves when she was 3. I'd be holding her hand with one hand and balancing a tray of food with the other hand as I weaved through tables looking for an open place to sit. All the while I'd be walking past tables of people sitting waiting on another family member who was still in line to order and bring their food over. There was one time in Cosmic Rays where I just felt like crying after I'd spotted an empty table, but by the time DD and I made it over to the table, someone without food had grabbed it.

Even when WDW isn't enforcing the policy, I don't send DD ahead to find a table while I order. But since she's older, once we have our food, I can point out an empty table and she will hurry to grab it before someone else takes it. One a few occassions when tables were seriously at a premium, I've had people offer to let DD and I sit with them if they had empty seats at their table, and I've also extended the same offer to others if we have a table with empty seats.
You're an awesome mom! You rock and your daughter is so lucky to have a mom like you!

To the OP, we have seen this in place since 2009 i want to say. If not, 2007. We eat at CHH in mk quite a bit and that was where we noticed it. I can see it being a challenge for families with multiple little ones, but in the end it does really help with the non paying guests who just come to sit in ac for free. We are a party of 2 for now, so we can snag a seat most times. But i have definitely seen times back in the day where many tables of non eaters were taking up space while families stood there with full trays of food waiting for tables. THAT sucked.
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 PM   #52
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee

I've posted on here before about being favor of this policy. As an AP holder, I go to WDW 4-6 times a year and since my family is not as big a Disney fan as I am, alot of those trips are solo trips. It gets really old walking around looking for an empty table, holding a tray of rapidly cooling food, seeing most of the tables taken up by people not even eating. I've posted on here before about once at Tusker House (back when it was still a CS restaurant). I had my food and was looking for a table, when I spotted one in the back. I walked to it, put my tray down, and had just started to get the stuff off the tray, but was still standing, when some lady suddenly rammed me really hard in the back of the legs with a stroller and actually demanded that I give the table up for her. Her family was waiting in line and she had came into the dining area pushing her grand daughter to scout out a table. When she saw no tables were available and me getting ready to sit down, she demanded I give the table up, saying that since I was by myself that I could just go outside and sit on the wall to eat. I informed her I had just as much right to that table as her, in fact more so, since I had claimed it first and already had my food. She continued to insist that I give the table up since I was solo and she had a family that needed it. I informed her no way was that happening and about that time saw an elderly couple (with their food) looking for a table. I smiled and asked if they'd like to join me. They did and the other lady angrily huffed off, while I made some new friends. What was funny was that as I was leaving, I walked past the woman and her family. They were a larger group, so no way would they have fit at that table for four anyway (it was one of those in the back of the last room, where the end is pushed up against the wall). If dining solo or if we have any empty seats, we always offer to share, if we see someone with a tray of food looking for a seat. In fact, we shared a table at Earl of Sandwich just a couple of weeks ago with a couple from Illinois, when we were down there.
WOW! The nerve of her! Well, we call it something else here in NY ;-) You rock too!
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 PM   #53
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney
 
princessallegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender
I remember reading about this in 2011 and not liking the policy.

But it really wasn't as bad as I had read. They were enforcing it at Pinnochos Hause (sp) but we were able to find a table as soon as we had our food.
Wow that short! I thought it was way longer! Guess not! Thanks!
__________________

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 02:34 AM   #54
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better
 
aubriee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Dallas
Posts: 14,811

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNutMary View Post
Hopefully, the next crackdown will be on outside meals being eaten in CS restaurants, taking up of valuable tables and not spending a dime in that establishment. Before the flames start, I'm not talking about the pack lunch for a picky child, I'm talking about the families who buy nothing at all, not even a soda, yet take up tables while those who made a purchase end up standing in a corner leaning on a trash bin to eat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigepmike View Post
People lose their minds at DisneyWorld!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I get my best stories from scary WDW guests
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Yes that is very common at Peco Bills..you have to be seated by a CM
One of the saddest, but funniest things I ever saw was at Pecos Bills a few years ago. A couple in their 60's sat down at the table right across from me. He had ordered a hamburger, fries, and one soda. After going over to the fixins bar and piling his hamburger up, then filling up alot of those little cups with more pickels, mushrooms, onions, and etc, he dumped his hamburger out onto some napkins, then gave the little cardboard container it came in to his wife and told her to go fix herself a salad. They had not bought her anything, not even a soda, but she made three trips to the fixins bar to make her a salad. I thought that was funny, but what hit me as sad, is that she reached over to get one of his french fries and he slapped her hand and told her those were his and to keep her paws away from them, she had her lunch. He also allowed her only a few sips of his soda and gave her a mean look everytime she reached for it. I wanted to slap him, like he'd slapped her hand. He was a really big man and she was a little tiny thing. The least he could have done was share his hamburger and fries with her. Instead all she got was food she stole off the fixins bar. I guess because he had paid for his meal, that they didn't consider feeding her off the fixins bar as stealing.

Last edited by aubriee; 11-15-2012 at 02:39 AM.
aubriee is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #55
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 22,369

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanalisa View Post
I'm not a believer either. It makes perfect sense to me to have one person get in line for food and everyone else can find a table, get condiments, napkins, straws and be ready to eat when the food comes. For all of us to stand around and wait. I'm more of an every man for himself kind of person rather to be met with more rules and regulations.
It does work. The tables turn over faster when only the people who have food are at them, actually eating. Instead of having someone sitting at them without food for 10 or 15 minutes, and then eating their meal. That is what causes the back up.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #56
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
We do this too....It's just way more efficient to combine them - instead of having us all stand around waiting for the food.

So, people who love this policy - make me a believer. I would hope that the CM's verify that there IS, actually, available seating for everyone here, right. I would not be happy if when I take my whole family through line and have full trays of food to then be told 'oh - sorry, no tables available, please wait'. As I would MUCH prefer to wait my turn for a table with no food before getting into line for food rather than wait afterward with trays in hand. If this is the case and there is ALWAYS a table available with no waiting with this new policy - well then I might be convinced. But, I have waited for a table (sans food) several times for 5 - or 10 minutes before. And I am not positive that this policy really frees up tables that much more that there is zero wait times at all times.

Also - CM's (for me to be a believer) would also have to strictly enforce 'first served food, first seated' - as in, if I'm waiting a minute or two for a table and someone else comes from a different line and swipes the table I've been waiting for - here again, with food in hand I would be a LOT less happy about this. So basically - no line cutting allowed.

CM's who have done this - does it really free up that many tables? Are the food ordering lines even more out of control because for every one order there are 4 - 5 people now standing in line?
I don't think they'll ever be a GUARANTEE that you'll get a seat immediately. But it certainly diminishes the time that people are standing around with food, just waiting on a table.

You don't like standing there waiting on a table and neither do other people. That's why it was put in place; to avoid someone standing there with food while your family is sitting at a table waiting 20 minutes for you to get through the line to order.

That time you are ordering, someone else can be seated and eating and get out of there. A table is taken by someone for 30 minutes instead of 1 hour, and then it can be turned over.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #57
brymolmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,767

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I don't think they'll ever be a GUARANTEE that you'll get a seat immediately. But it certainly diminishes the time that people are standing around with food, just waiting on a table.

You don't like standing there waiting on a table and neither do other people. That's why it was put in place; to avoid someone standing there with food while your family is sitting at a table waiting 20 minutes for you to get through the line to order.

That time you are ordering, someone else can be seated and eating and get out of there. A table is taken by someone for 30 minutes instead of 1 hour, and then it can be turned over.
I understand that totally. That's why I am happy to wait my turn - I just prefer to do it pre-food. And the only people that have to wait with food are either singles or MAYBE single parents with very small children (I went solo with my 2 kids when they were 3 and 4 and purposefully brought lots of food in the stroller to avoid this AND chose the CS place we went carefully to allow me to set them up at a table that was right next to the CS line so I could have them and our stuff and our stroller right at a table already and I could wait in line, chat with them, and watch them the whole time).

While I can see it reducing wait times a bit...I still think many will linger longer while they eat to get the needed break time in...And I think it stinks to have to force people to eat cold food if they're waiting longer than 60 seconds for a table once food is in hand.

I wish they would do a survey of people who wait for tables with food and find out how many actually are forced into it vs. people who choose to do it (as in - only one adult in the party and no kids/friends/etc old enough to hold a table themselves). If the vast majority are just choosing it (as in - too rushed/impatient to actually wait their turn for a table before they get into line to order) then I say HEY - they're CHOOSING to be standing there holding their food with no tables. But, again, I might be convinced if that is wrong and the vast majority are actually forced into it. I just think that of the population visiting WDW the percentage of parties that are a single person or only one person over the age of 13 (assuming this is old enough to hold a table for most people) in the group is very small, I would guess. And many of these might not have issues anyway (many of the singles might be find just grabbing a single seat at an otherwise occupied table and many of the single parents might do what I did and just plan around it). Anyway - seems to me like the number of people for which this is an actual problem would be very small.
brymolmom is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #58
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,627

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
I understand that totally. That's why I am happy to wait my turn - I just prefer to do it pre-food. And the only people that have to wait with food are either singles or MAYBE single parents with very small children (I went solo with my 2 kids when they were 3 and 4 and purposefully brought lots of food in the stroller to avoid this AND chose the CS place we went carefully to allow me to set them up at a table that was right next to the CS line so I could have them and our stuff and our stroller right at a table already and I could wait in line, chat with them, and watch them the whole time).

While I can see it reducing wait times a bit...I still think many will linger longer while they eat to get the needed break time in...And I think it stinks to have to force people to eat cold food if they're waiting longer than 60 seconds for a table once food is in hand.

I wish they would do a survey of people who wait for tables with food and find out how many actually are forced into it vs. people who choose to do it (as in - only one adult in the party and no kids/friends/etc old enough to hold a table themselves). If the vast majority are just choosing it (as in - too rushed/impatient to actually wait their turn for a table before they get into line to order) then I say HEY - they're CHOOSING to be standing there holding their food with no tables. But, again, I might be convinced if that is wrong and the vast majority are actually forced into it. I just think that of the population visiting WDW the percentage of parties that are a single person or only one person over the age of 13 (assuming this is old enough to hold a table for most people) in the group is very small, I would guess. And many of these might not have issues anyway (many of the singles might be find just grabbing a single seat at an otherwise occupied table and many of the single parents might do what I did and just plan around it). Anyway - seems to me like the number of people for which this is an actual problem would be very small.
I'd rather have my family sit down and get all the food at once as well. And we did on our last trip before I even knew there was a problem. Once the other side was presented, I'm more than happy to bring everyone through the line.

Personally, I think the wish for a survey is silly. I don't think Disney would make this kind of change without researching the issue. Nothing with Disney tends to happen without purpose. If it wasn't a problem, or wasn't happening often, I don't think they'd implement an entirely knew procedure in doing things.
__________________
aaarcher86 is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #59
delilah
DIS Veteran
 
delilah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 2,242

I am on the side of those who believe that it is rude to hold a seat for your party when you don't yet have your food. On our trip last May, we were caught in that bind at Pecos Bill. I was carrying a tray of food all through the restaurant with my husband and son in tow. Finally, a REALLY nice couple from Brazil told us that we could share the table with them, which I greatly appreciated. It is hard to run faster and not spill drinks than it is for an unencumbered preteen/teen, and, unfortunately, that happened while we were looking for a seat. I tried to reason with the kid that if his mama just got in line to buy their food, the restaurant is so crowded that likely, we will be done eating by the time we got back. No dice. And, guess what. I was right. The kiddo was still waiting for mama when we were done with our meal. When all was said and done, we made new friends, had nice conversation, learned something about Brazil, and had a nice meal.
delilah is offline  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #60
delilah
DIS Veteran
 
delilah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 2,242

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
One of the saddest, but funniest things I ever saw was at Pecos Bills a few years ago. A couple in their 60's sat down at the table right across from me. He had ordered a hamburger, fries, and one soda. After going over to the fixins bar and piling his hamburger up, then filling up alot of those little cups with more pickels, mushrooms, onions, and etc, he dumped his hamburger out onto some napkins, then gave the little cardboard container it came in to his wife and told her to go fix herself a salad. They had not bought her anything, not even a soda, but she made three trips to the fixins bar to make her a salad. I thought that was funny, but what hit me as sad, is that she reached over to get one of his french fries and he slapped her hand and taold her those were his and to keep her paws away from them, she had her lunch. He also allowed her only a few sips of his soda and gave her a mean look everytime she reached for it. I wanted to slap him, like he'd slapped her hand. He was a really big man and she was a little tiny thing. The least he could have done was share his hamburger and fries with her. Instead all she got was food she stole off the fixins bar. I guess because he had paid for his meal, that they didn't consider feeding her off the fixins bar as stealing.
This is interesting. I know that at Pecos Bill, when you order a Taco Salad, you have to go over the the "fixin's bar" to get the lettuce,tomatoes, etc for the salad. I actually like the taco salad that I get there--one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, it could have been us (probably wasn't). It could look that way to an uninformed observer, that a person who ordered a Taco Salad was "stealing" from the fixin's bar.
delilah is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.