Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Barbatsea
Earning My Ears

Traveling on Disney Dream with wheelchair bound niece

I will be traveling on the Dream 4 night cruise with my 16 yr old wheelchair bound niece in 3 weeks. Looking for port adventure in Nassau that would accomodate her needs. She cannot bear weight on her legs, but someone could carry her a short distance. Saw the Atlantis Dolphin Cay & Shallow water interaction & Discover Atlantis adventure. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions for us? Thanks!
Barbatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I was on the Wonder with a friend who uses a wheelchair.

I can't specifically address Nassau excursions as we took a "been there, don't need to do it again" attitude and stayed on the ship. I will tell you that the ships are VERY wheelchair friendly. We had an HA cabin as my friend also needed the bathroom adjustments, and she was delighted with the facilities (said that everywhere should be done the way Disney did it). She loved the grab bars that could be raised or lowered as needed--I learned that some people require them but others find that they get in the way......shower drains were also a big hit--there is a drain the length of the shower to prevent any water from entering the sink/toilet portion and another similar drain between the bathroom and the cabin. Perfect.

In addition, dining had already assigned us a table on a main aisle in each dining room to allow my friend to transfer to a regular seat for meals.

The one place that wasn't great was Castaway. I couldn't push the beach wheelchair on the sand (my friend was not surprised) She was fine on the paths.

If you look on the web site, each excursion is coded as to whether it is wheelchair friendly, must transfer, or not able to handle wheelchairs. Also, you'll find more info on the Dis-abilities section of the boards.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Barbatsea
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info! I have no doubt that the ship will accomodate her well. I am thinking that we may have to stick to a land excursion in Nassau. We'd like to spend a little time there as none of us in our group have been there before. Anyway, looking forward to "whatever" we do!
Barbatsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: