Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #76
jcarter29
DIS Veteran

My point was specifically in reference to posts, as I stated. I read nearly 300 of them before I came here to post my opinion. Of the 300, nearly all were against the current plan. Again, my experience with similar "deals" leads me to believe that there will be a fully logo'ed Starbucks, that serves some of the items previously available in the bakery, right in the middle of Main St. I'm glad that they have decided to have decent coffee. I'm not glad that they couldn't use one of the hundreds of other sensible places to put it. I don't want to be looking at a Starbucks logo when I walk down Main St. I have no problem with Starbucks coming to WDW. I have a huge problem with it replacing the bakery. I appreciate having the board to voice that kind of opinion. It is my personal opinion. I would have the same issue with McDonald's taking over Casey's or Target taking over the Emporium. I didn't even like the "Nestle" or "Coca-cola" tie-ins of old.
-Kim
jcarter29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #77
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter29 View Post
My point was specifically in reference to posts, as I stated. I read nearly 300 of them before I came here to post my opinion. Of the 300, nearly all were against the current plan. Again, my experience with similar "deals" leads me to believe that there will be a fully logo'ed Starbucks, that serves some of the items previously available in the bakery, right in the middle of Main St. I'm glad that they have decided to have decent coffee. I'm not glad that they couldn't use one of the hundreds of other sensible places to put it. I don't want to be looking at a Starbucks logo when I walk down Main St. I have no problem with Starbucks coming to WDW. I have a huge problem with it replacing the bakery. I appreciate having the board to voice that kind of opinion. It is my personal opinion. I would have the same issue with McDonald's taking over Casey's or Target taking over the Emporium. I didn't even like the "Nestle" or "Coca-cola" tie-ins of old.
-Kim
As I said in the post to which I linked, I respect people who base their decision on the fact that the change will remove their favorite pastry or who don't like Starbucks coffee. While I don't share the view, I try never to challenge someone's taste, well, unless they like baroque music. But what I am trying to figure out is why folks, as you have done, are so highly offended by the presence of a Starbucks logo on main street when there are already - and were historically - so many other commercial logos on Main Street. Where is the petition to get Disney to remove those logos?

I'm sorry that it seems my question is impertinent or disrespectful. I do not mean to be attacking you for having a personal opinion, but when folks voice their "personal opinion", that doesn't mean asking the basis for it is off limits.

A lot of people I count as good DisBoards friends are against this. It doesn't mean I think they are nuts or bad people. It just means we see things differently.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #78
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
How many times does it have to be said that Starbucks is not replacing the bakery, but that Starbucks products are going to be sold in the bakery? Read post #63.
If this was true why would MSB be closing for 6 months to achieve adding Starbucks products? Disney said it would close in January and re-open in early summer. No way Disney closes a money maker like MSB for 6 months for it to re-open just like it was except for some added coffee making equipment.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #79
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
If this was true why would MSB be closing for 6 months to achieve adding Starbucks products? Disney said it would close in January and re-open in early summer. No way Disney closes a money maker like MSB for 6 months for it to re-open just like it was except for some added coffee making equipment.
That was my thinking, too. Replacing a few items and putting up new signage does not take six months.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #80
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
That was my thinking, too. Replacing a few items and putting up new signage does not take six months.
According to this post on easywdw.com, the interior is in need of a refurb. And it recently underwent an exterior refurb that took 7 months. (Which is also a pretty good argument that they're not going to turn around and re-do the exterior again.) And maybe some of that time is going to be used for barista training.
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #81
jcarter29
DIS Veteran

jcb...
I guess my main issue boils down to this, Main St. in WDW is a representation of America at the turn of the century. It is a compilation of architecture from the midwest, New England and etc. It is a snapshot of what the average "Main St" looked like in the average American town. There was an emporium, a hat shop, a bakery, etc. There was no corporate logo outside of maybe Kodak (RIP, Kodak) and I'd like it to stay that way. There was no "branding" outside of Disney. Now, I realize this seems kind of ridiculous when Disney is nothing BUT marketing/branding but somehow bringing these other companies in just puts a crack in that facade for me. Will they still pipe in the chocolate chip cookies baking over Main St. so that I get that combination of popcorn, cookies and a little citrus scent when I walk through that tunnel or will it now be Starbucks coffee? Ick. I guess I feel that Main St. theming was sacred and now...not so much. If it were really about "guest demand" they would have signed an agreement to be "proudly serving" Starbucks throughout or small stands in various spots. I don't like it. I don't like liquor in the MK either but at least there's not a Budweiser sign on Main St. Thanks for listening. (and I don't like coffee either, but that has nothing to do with my reaction)
-Kim
jcarter29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #82
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
The Starbucks that will be in MK is going to be called "Main Street Bakery," according to the most recent press release. However, I highly doubt that there won't also be a Starbucks sign there. I can't see them not advertising Starbucks products by not having one. Otherwise, how will guests know? I can't see Starbucks not requiring some type of signage out front.
I'm guessing that they will simply replace the old Nestle logo.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #83
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I'm guessing that they will simply replace the old Nestle logo.
Perhaps, but I think it'll be a rectangular one like in DCA. I highly doubt the Starbucks logo will be used, just the wording.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #84
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because they're also refurbing the inside. Probably making the seating area larger and changing a few things around to accommodate SB's. If they're going to close it down for even a small amount of time, why not take the opportunity to update everything at once? Makes sense.

There's no reason in the world to think they'll handle this addition any differently than they did in Disneyland when they added SB.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #85
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Because they're also refurbing the inside. Probably making the seating area larger and changing a few things around to accommodate SB's. If they're going to close it down for even a small amount of time, why not take the opportunity to update everything at once? Makes sense.

There's no reason in the world to think they'll handle this addition any differently than they did in Disneyland when they added SB.
They already are handling it differently. The SB in DCL did not go into their MSB...it's not even their MK.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #86
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They already are handling it differently. The SB in DCL did not go into their MSB...it's not even their MK.
I'm not sure I even understand what you just said...

Are you saying that they are handling it differently because DCA does not have a Main Street Bakery nor did the SB go into their Magic Kingdom-esque area?

Obviously they are two different parks, with two different establishments getting a SB location added to them. They're going to add SB to the best place for the park it IS going into. If that's the best location to put it, then that's where they'll put it. The point was, that the theme and SB representation kept in tune with that of the original establishment. You don't walk past the DCA SB location and feel like you're walking past a SB and there is no reason to assume they won't keep it the exact same way when they add SB to the Bakery.

You'll have a logo, and a bit of mild signage to let guests know that SB is in that establishment and inside you'll be able to order it. It's not as if you're going to walk past big green Starbucks location that you'd see on the corner of your local area.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #87
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I'm not sure I even understand what you just said...

Are you saying that they are handling it differently because DCA does not have a Main Street Bakery nor did the SB go into their Magic Kingdom-esque area?

Obviously they are two different parks, with two different establishments getting a SB location added to them. They're going to add SB to the best place for the park it IS going into. If that's the best location to put it, then that's where they'll put it. The point was, that the theme and SB representation kept in tune with that of the original establishment. You don't walk past the DCA SB location and feel like you're walking past a SB and there is no reason to assume they won't keep it the exact same way when they add SB to the Bakery.

You'll have a logo, and a bit of mild signage to let guests know that SB is in that establishment and inside you'll be able to order it. It's not as if you're going to walk past big green Starbucks location that you'd see on the corner of your local area.
Yes, I know DCA doesn't have a bakery. My point was it's hard to compare DCL's way of doing it because they didn't put it in the same place that WDW is. Let me be clear......I have NO problem with SB going into MK. I don't even have a problem with it going onto Main Street. I just don't think it should be the MSB. If there were an empty store on Main Street they wanted to put SB into I'd say go for it. I just don't understand why it has to go into an already popular location that I don't think has the space SB is going to need. There are closed or mostly closed locations in MK that it could go into, why the MSB?
Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #88
msteddom
We always wait in line in California, just like we sit in traffic

She meant that there is no Starbucks in Disneyland Park. It is in California Adventure. The entire Buena Vista St. area was being built, so there was no shutting down an existing store. It simply opened as a Starbucks when the rest of Buena Vista St. opened.

Melissa
Aug. 1986- Off Site, Feb. 1992- Off Site, Nov. 2000- Off Site, Aug. 2003 POR, April 2004- POFQ, Aug. 2004- YC, Feb. 2005- POFQ, Aug. 2005- BWV,Jan. 2006 BCV,Aug. 2006 POP, Dec. 2006 POR, Aug 2007-YC, Dec. 2007- BWV, Aug. 2008 4 night Wonder Double Dip, Jan. 2009- BWV, Aug. 2009 BWV/Dolphin, Jan. 2010 BLT/BWV, Aug. 2010 WL/BWV, Aug. 2011 5 night Dream/ WLV, Jul. 2012 POR/BVV, June 2013 BWV/Fantasy Eastern/YC
msteddom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #89
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, I know DCA doesn't have a bakery. My point was it's hard to compare DCL's way of doing it because they didn't put it in the same place that WDW is. Let me be clear......I have NO problem with SB going into MK. I don't even have a problem with it going onto Main Street. I just don't think it should be the MSB. If there were an empty store on Main Street they wanted to put SB into I'd say go for it. I just don't understand why it has to go into an already popular location that I don't think has the space SB is going to need. There are closed or mostly closed locations in MK that it could go into, why the MSB?
Maybe that's why they're closing it down and refurbing it. To make the space they need.

And honestly, why not MSB? Why have a SB a few stores over selling coffee and pastries and a Bakery selling coffee and pastries? Why not just combine them since they both offer a similar service?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #90
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter29 View Post
jcb...
I guess my main issue boils down to this, Main St. in WDW is a representation of America at the turn of the century. It is a compilation of architecture from the midwest, New England and etc. It is a snapshot of what the average "Main St" looked like in the average American town. There was an emporium, a hat shop, a bakery, etc. There was no corporate logo outside of maybe Kodak (RIP, Kodak) and I'd like it to stay that way. There was no "branding" outside of Disney. Now, I realize this seems kind of ridiculous when Disney is nothing BUT marketing/branding but somehow bringing these other companies in just puts a crack in that facade for me. Will they still pipe in the chocolate chip cookies baking over Main St. so that I get that combination of popcorn, cookies and a little citrus scent when I walk through that tunnel or will it now be Starbucks coffee? Ick. I guess I feel that Main St. theming was sacred and now...not so much. If it were really about "guest demand" they would have signed an agreement to be "proudly serving" Starbucks throughout or small stands in various spots. I don't like it. I don't like liquor in the MK either but at least there's not a Budweiser sign on Main St. Thanks for listening. (and I don't like coffee either, but that has nothing to do with my reaction)
-Kim
Corporate sponsorship is what built Disneyland and Disney World from the beginning. Without having a logo visible somewhere at some point the parks just plain wouldn't exist.

I dont think its fair for everyone to get all out of whack about a change we have not even seen concept art for. Lets give disney the benefit of the doubt and see what they might come up with.

With any change there will always be a group of people that are not happy with it, but disney attempts to satisfy the masses and not the 1% of Disney Fans who happen to follow this sorta news.

I guarantee that once it opens that 99% of people will just walk on by without even notice the change.

I agree though that this was not about guest demand. This was a way for Disney refurb a building and pass the bill along.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: