Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I'm really not understand the hue and cry here about the presence of the Starbucks logo on Main Street. I don't want to be taken as being dismissive of anyone. I just don't understand. Just in the interest of full disclosure, I should admit to being a Starbucks gold card holder.

But my point of view comes from the fact that for years, if not decades, the first thing folks saw upon entering the MK was the Kodak logo (though, I suspect, it isn't there any longer but for reasons that have nothing to do with this issue).

Casey's hot dog stand prominently displays at least five iterations of the Coca Cola logo.

And the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor has at least two Edy's Ice Cream (which, apparently, Nestle owns) signs above the entry way.

And imagine my shock and horror () when I realized that, until recently (when Nestle ended it's sponsorship) the Main Street Bakery sign included the Nestle logo on it.

Here are close ups of the sign from 2008.
from 2006:
from 2001:
The Nestle logo was removed by 2011 (but note the additional Edy's logo in the bottom left corner of this photo).

I'm not wanting anyone to be deprived of their favorite pastries. I don't care that some regard Starbucks coffee as "swill." I respect those people and their tastes. That isn't the point.

I'm just not getting the objection to yet another corporate logo on Main Street.
I agree with you completely. Who know maybe Disney may decide to keep the cinnamon rolls at the new bakery after this, but I doubt this will change their deal with Starbucks.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #47
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Not at all. I wanted to let those interested know it was discussed on this week's show.
good point I think I went a little to far with the statement and decided to delete it, from my original post.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #48
dkostel
Future owner at CRV? VCR? I don't care lets call it Bob as long as it happens!
I have great appreciation for anything that can make me laugh when I'm out in 10 degree weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844 View Post
There's a guy that frequents my local S'bucks that drives a Lotus.

All I can say is "Who drives a LOTUS??"
James Bond circa 1977

At our airport there is a Starbucks counter in the Potbelly without much branding at all. Hopefully it can be like that. If a sub shop can maintain its theme, certainly Disney can.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #49
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

I'm curious if people would still be upset if there was an empty store front on Main Street that SB was going into? Say that poster/art shop had been closed for awhile, would there be objection to SB's going in there? I wouldn't have a problem with that at all....as Jack said, there has long been and still are corporate logos on Main Street, so would a well themed SB on Main Street be okay if it wasn't taking over MSB? (which I agree is a terrible idea)
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #50
shawy1269
Mouseketeer

I signed the petition and attached the link to facebook and tweeted the link to some people in the Disney community. The petition has over 2000 signatures at this point. Use the link on the podcast page to the appropriate petition as there are two. Perhaps OP should dismantle the link to the petition with fewer signatures, to avoid confusion.

We as a community have a voice, this is an opportunity to show Disney that we care about the parks and that their decisions affect us. Let your voice be heard!!! Sign the petition.

http://www.**********************walt...th-a-starbucks
shawy1269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #51
GrumpyFan
Mouseketeer

OMG! Just listened to Pete's rant about this. How much can this be blown out of proportion? I normally like and agree with Pete's rants, but this is just ridiculous. The one they put in DCA was done very tastefully and they have a huge selection of foods. They're not going to ruin Main Street. Can we not just wait and see what they do before we start with the complaints? I mean, give them a chance.

Besides, this is no different than what Walt himself did when he built the parks. There were actual stores on Main Street selling non-Disney merchandise!

Just wait and see, that's all I'm suggesting. It might actually be something we come to love. Besides that, they will now be offering something more than the "swill", as Pete says.

Last edited by GrumpyFan; 11-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.
GrumpyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #52
MarkerMouse
Earning My Ears

Cool

I am most definitely NOT a fan of the idea of replacing the Magic Kingdom’s Main Street Bakery with Starbucks.

In my opinion, it’s just “Bad Show”. Main Street USA is meant to be an escape for the real world, taking the guest to another time and place. But what is more Real World than a Starbucks. It does not fit the theme at all.

I also fear what this could lead to, McDonalds replacing Casey’s? Walmart replacing the Emporium? Before long it’ll look more like a strip mall.

First we have alcohol introduce to the Magic Kingdom, now a Real World modern day retail shop right in the middle of the 19th Century theming of Main Street. I see little bit by little bit the Magic Kingdom losing some of what makes it so special. If it loses enough it will also lose its “Magic”.

Theming and Show have always been what distinguished from the others. In my opinion, this choice is in direct opposition to both Theme and Show.
~ Friend of IASW's Happy Little Dolls (but don't hold that against me)

02/83 off site -- 11/83 off site -- 12/85 DLR --
07/97 DL -- 08/00 ASMo -- 04/02 CBR --
05/03 POFQ -- 06/04 DLR -- 07/06 Pop --
03/07 POR -- 09/07 ASMu -- 04/08 ASSp --
09/08 Pop -- 09/09 CSR -- 04/10 POR --
05/10 SSR -- 10/10 CSR -- 12/10 SSR & VBR
--> NEXT - TBD
MarkerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #53
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Why don't we wait until it is opened and see how well it is or isn't done before we decide whether or not Walt will roll around in his grave again?
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #54
wdwbecky
Earning My Ears

Glad to see some reasonable comments about this "unimaginable" change. I think this whole topic is overblown just to get people talking -- people love a good controversy.
wdwbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #55
aspen37
Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes.

I'm excited about Starbucks coming to the MK. I also think there are better places to put it. I'm not sure the Bakery is a large enough space. When I was at DCA the second longest line I stood in was for Starbucks. The only line longer was for Radiator Springs Racers.
I think they could have put the Starbucks in New Fantasyland. I would walk back there for my latte, but I would not for a cinnamon roll.
I've been to the MK countless times, but have only been in the bakery three times. Once Starbucks is there I will go in every time.
I'll be interested to see where the Starbucks will go at in DL. There is going to be one in each park. The parks left are DHS, AK and DL.

Backstage Magic Tour April 2010 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2408048
aspen37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #56
GrumpyFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen37 View Post
I'm excited about Starbucks coming to the MK. I also think there are better places to put it. I'm not sure the Bakery is a large enough space. When I was at DCA the second longest line I stood in was for Starbucks. The only line longer was for Radiator Springs Racers.
I think they could have put the Starbucks in New Fantasyland. I would walk back there for my latte, but I would not for a cinnamon roll.
I've been to the MK countless times, but have only been in the bakery three times. Once Starbucks is there I will go in every time.
I'll be interested to see where the Starbucks will go at in DL. There is going to be one in each park. The parks left are DHS, AK and DL.
I think they almost have to put it on Main Street, just to "lure" everyone in and get them to buy something. Plus, I think people almost expect something like this in the front of the park. I would anticipate another location to be added if this turns out to be like DCA.
GrumpyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #57
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Why don't we wait until it is opened and see how well it is or isn't done before we decide whether or not Walt will roll around in his grave again?
The question should never ever be about what Walt wanted; the man died 50 years ago. Yes, intent is important, but nobody knows what he would have thought or believed in 2012. All we can do is try to retain the spirit of the reason DL/WDW were created in the first place.

I’m definitely up for “wait and see”, but if Main St. smells like a Starbuck’s, it’s going to be ugly.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #58
cherokeemamma
DIS Veteran

I must say I agree 100% with Pete. Sure it seems silly in the scheme of things to be upset over this but Pete is right...it is a slippery slope.

There are SO, SO many other locations in the MK to put Starbucks. My family...kids included, enjoy Starbucks but we all love the MSB and would love for it to remain just that. It is a place of tradition and fond memories for us and I know it is for so many others.

I say just change the coffee and nothing else!

Check out my first trip report: The Hill Family's Surprise Vacation(w/ a ton of pics):
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1234215
cherokeemamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #59
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I really don't get what Pete means by it being a slippery slope by putting Starbucks in the parks, by that logic we should get rid of coke from the parks and dole whip too and any other combines that have they branding in the parks too.

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app

- Walt Disney
Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #60
kuzco-like
Mouseketeer

I'm curious about the Starbucks in the Disneyland resort. In my local Starbucks, I've been admonished, and so was a young mother with children, for taking photos inside the store. Has anyone else experienced this? The baristas were in a bit of a panic. They claimed they would get in big trouble with Head Office. Something to do with Starbucks being very protective of their brand, etc. they asked me to delete my photos. Is this an issue in the Starbucks at the Disneyland resort?
kuzco-like is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: