Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #31
disneydreamgirl
DIS Veteran

From what I can gather: A mainly existing version of Main Street Bakery, with subtle molding of Starbucks definitely serving Starbucks Coffee.
DCL Fantasy-Oct'14 First-time cruisers!
disneydreamgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #32
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamgirl View Post
From what I can gather: A mainly existing version of Main Street Bakery, with subtle molding of Starbucks definitely serving Starbucks Coffee.
After much research, that is what I think and I hope. A "subtle" thing. But here is the thing, I can't give an honest opinion until I am there and have seen it, if I even notice it. And if it takes or not takes away from Main Street and its feel.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013 *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS - 2013 *TOKYO DL* Offsite - 2014
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #33
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

I'm glad op posted the link so everyone could have an opportunity to sign if they wish. To me, it will be a sad day. I don't envision Main St. Bakery blended with a corporate brand name. As I walk down Main St. I love the transition from gas lamps to electric. There's a nostalgic feeling along Main St. It's a sad day.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #34
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
I don't envision Main St. Bakery blended with a corporate brand name.
Isn't Disney a Corporate brand?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
Isn't Disney a Corporate brand?
Yes...no room for them on Main Street either.

I don't really understand the corporate take over part of the debate. I can't tell you how many pictures I have of the Smucker's Jams & Jellies window on Main Street (my grandad worked for Smucker's) and the ice cream parlor isn't Disney ice cream...it's Edy's complete with Edy's signs. I understand the old time Main Street feel argument, just not the corporate side of it.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #36
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

I signed it. I would be sad to see this happen. I am sad that they already brought it to the DLR. Change is inevitable I guess, but no harm in signing and letting Disney know if you don't like something, whether they are going to listen or not!

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #37
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

For those who haven't listened yet, Pete weighs in on this petition during this week's show.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #38
Golf4food
Mouseketeer
Male pirate last time I checked... yep, still male
Tazicket will always be my sexy penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Yes...no room for them on Main Street either.

I don't really understand the corporate take over part of the debate. I can't tell you how many pictures I have of the Smucker's Jams & Jellies window on Main Street (my grandad worked for Smucker's) and the ice cream parlor isn't Disney ice cream...it's Edy's complete with Edy's signs. I understand the old time Main Street feel argument, just not the corporate side of it.
Amen. Eddy's signs at the ice cream parlor, Coke-a-Cola signs all over the place, etc. The MSB isn't going to change much, it will just start offering Starbucks items in addition to some of the old items. Not the end of the world. At least we'll have something besides Nescrape to drink. Corporate food and beverage partnerships have been a part of the Disney park experience since Disneyland opened in 1955.

People need to go look at how the Starbucks location in DCA is themed and calm the heck down (The Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe). It is very tasteful and not at all obtrusive.

We love the Main Street Bakery but are not at all worried about this change being done in any way that is untasteful or out of place with the location.

Nor do I think it could go anywhere else in the park. It is the only location that is big enough but not too big for a cafe setting that would still fit the location/theme. Can't put it in Tomorrowland, or Fantasyland, or Adventureland, or Liberty Square... only have Main Street left, and a cafe does fit there, as it has for years.

As for the argument that a Starbucks wasn't around in turn of the century Marceline, MO - neither was an Eddy's ice cream parlor or a hot dog stand.
Mar '14 - Offsite; Nov '13 - Offiste; Sept '13-Offsite; Apr '13-POFQ; Jan '13-POR; Dec '12-POFQ:Baby's First WDW Trip; March '11-Offiste; Nov/Dec '10-AKL/CSR; May '10-POR Pre-Dining Review-Dining Report; September '09-ASMu & DxDP Dining Report; December '08-POR; September '08-ASM; June '07-One day surprise park hopping extravaganza for DW; December '06-CBR; March '05-CBR; Many visits as a child

Golf4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #39
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4food View Post
Amen. Eddy's signs at the ice cream parlor, Coke-a-Cola signs all over the place, etc. The MSB isn't going to change much, it will just start offering Starbucks items in addition to some of the old items. Not the end of the world. At least we'll have something besides Nescrape to drink. Corporate food and beverage partnerships have been a part of the Disney park experience since Disneyland opened in 1955.

People need to go look at how the Starbucks location in DCA is themed and calm the heck down (The Fiddler, Fifer, and Practical Cafe). It is very tasteful and not at all obtrusive.

We love the Main Street Bakery but are not at all worried about this change being done in any way that is untasteful or out of place with the location.

Nor do I think it could go anywhere else in the park. It is the only location that is big enough but not too big for a cafe setting that would still fit the location/theme. Can't put it in Tomorrowland, or Fantasyland, or Adventureland, or Liberty Square... only have Main Street left, and a cafe does fit there, as it has for years.

As for the argument that a Starbucks wasn't around in turn of the century Marceline, MO - neither was an Eddy's ice cream parlor or a hot dog stand.
I agree about the corporate logo stuff, but I still don't think it should go in the MSB. I signed the petition because while I'm not opposed to Starbucks, even on Main Street, I don't think MSB is the place for it. An SB is going to need space inside and out...MSB doesn't have it. I understand SB probably wants a spot on Main Street and maybe that was part of the deal, but SB could go into Tomorrowland....Noodle Station or Adventureland...at the mostly closed counter service place next to Tiki Birds. No one would notice or miss either place. Plus it wouldn't mean closing MSB for 6 months to put SB in.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #40
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

deleted

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney

Last edited by EastYorkDisneyFan; 11-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #41
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
So becuse Pete rants and calls someone a cleaning woman we all have to run and sign a petition that will not nd read?

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app
Huh? I think she was just giving an FYI that is was discussed on the most recent show in case people wanted to hear what he had to say. You can do whatever you want.

I just listened and I don't always agree 100% with Pete, but in this case I do.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
Huh? I think she was just giving an FYI that is was discussed on the most recent show in case people wanted to hear what he had to say. You can do whatever you want.

I just listened and I don't always agree 100% with Pete, but in this case I do.
sorry I was just trying to be sarcastic about it, I just don't see why this is so important to people. I will sign a petition if it's important and effects something that can be changed, but like has been said before on this thread Disney isn't likely to read it or make any changes based on a few signatures. Considering that they ignored ones to save toad and to save the adventures club why are they going to care about one to "save the main street bakery".

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #43
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
sorry I was just trying to be sarcastic about it, I just don't see why this is so important to people. I will sign a petition if it's important and effects something that can be changed, but like has been said before on this thread Disney isn't likely to read it or make any changes based on a few signatures. Considering that they ignored ones to save toad and to save the adventures club why are they going to care about one to "save the main street bakery".
Maybe it isn't likely, but for the people that it IS important to there is no harm in trying. It's a petition, it takes a few seconds to sign it, maybe it makes someone feel a little better to express their disappointment. I understand this isn't important to you, but that doesn't lessen it's importance to someone else. Just because Disney has ignored past efforts to save things isn't a reason not to let them know how you feel. Will it work? Probably not, but hey, there's a first time for everything.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #44
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan

So becuse Pete rants and calls someone a cleaning woman we all have to run and sign a petition that will not nd read?

Sent from my Samsung Galexy Ace using the DISBoards app
Not at all. I wanted to let those interested know it was discussed on this week's show.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #45
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

I'm really not understand the hue and cry here about the presence of the Starbucks logo on Main Street. I don't want to be taken as being dismissive of anyone. I just don't understand. Just in the interest of full disclosure, I should admit to being a Starbucks gold card holder.

But my point of view comes from the fact that for years, if not decades, the first thing folks saw upon entering the MK was the Kodak logo (though, I suspect, it isn't there any longer but for reasons that have nothing to do with this issue).

Casey's hot dog stand prominently displays at least five iterations of the Coca Cola logo.

And the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor has at least two Edy's Ice Cream (which, apparently, Nestle owns) signs above the entry way.

And imagine my shock and horror () when I realized that, until recently (when Nestle ended it's sponsorship) the Main Street Bakery sign included the Nestle logo on it.

Here are close ups of the sign from 2008.
from 2006:
from 2001:
The Nestle logo was removed by 2011.

I'm not wanting anyone to be deprived of their favorite pastries. I don't care that some regard Starbucks coffee as "swill." I respect those people and their tastes. That isn't the point.

I'm just not getting the objection to yet another corporate logo on Main Street.

Last edited by jcb; 11-14-2012 at 12:37 PM.
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: