Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Need help with an iPhone problem

I have an old iPhone 3. Yesterday morning, I restarted it and after I did, one of my game apps (Farkle Live) stopped working. It just won't launch. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it but when I tried, I got a message that the app requires iOS 4.3. I have iOS 4.2.1. I plugged in and tried to sync and update but was told that I have the most up-to-date version of the OS. So if 4.2.1 is the most current version according to iTunes, what do I do now? Is it possible that the app is no longer compatible with the older iPhones? I've e-mailed the app customer support and am waiting to hear back from them.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

I have an iphone 4 which does not have the latest operating system and my mac is so old I can't synch with itunes. I am going to the verizon store to have them upload it (since verizon is my carrier). Apple store or you cell phone carrier perhaps? Good luck!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 3. My Chase app (which I use to pay bills) no longer works. I've had a few stop working over the last few months. The phone works fine so I don't want to pay to upgrade. Annoying!

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
I'm having the same problem with my iPhone 3. My Chase app (which I use to pay bills) no longer works. I've had a few stop working over the last few months. The phone works fine so I don't want to pay to upgrade. Annoying!
It is planned obsolescence. Little by little, they make it so that you are almost forced to upgrade. I have been planning to get an iPhone 5 but I wanted to give them a few month to work out the bugs that always accompany a new product and new OS release. If I'm going to start losing apps, I may need to upgrade sooner than planned. That won't be a terrible thing, of course, since the 3 is so darned slow. There are things I can't do on there anyway just because of that.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
disneysteve

I just did a search and at Apple's site, I found info on the iOS 4.3 update. It is not compatible with the iPhone 3, only with the 3GS, so I guess I'm out of luck until I upgrade my phone.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Gregawsk8
Mouseketeer

If you have an iPhone 3 you should be due for an upgrade and I think you can still get an iPhone 4 for free or $1.

Me DW DD(5) DS(1)
'97 Disneyland (Solo with family)/'06 CBR- Our Honey Moon/April '10 CBR- Daughter's 1st Trip/Aug '10 CBR- Mom's 1st Trip/May '11 CBR/Feb '12 AKL/Nov '12 BWV/April '13 DL/Sept '13 WLV
Gregawsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregawsk8 View Post
If you have an iPhone 3 you should be due for an upgrade and I think you can still get an iPhone 4 for free or $1.
That's true. I am due for an upgrade, but that doesn't mean I should be forced to do so. I realize technology is constantly changing but something should be useable for more than a couple of years before I have no choice but to replace it if I want to continue to use it. That's what annoys me.

As I said, I do intend to upgrade but it should be on my schedule, not theirs.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve

That's true. I am due for an upgrade, but that doesn't mean I should be forced to do so. I realize technology is constantly changing but something should be useable for more than a couple of years before I have no choice but to replace it if I want to continue to use it. That's what annoys me.

I assume you mean an iPhone 3G. There is no iPhone 3. If so, that phone came out in 2008, which is forever ago in technology, especially mobile technology.

You're not being forced to upgrade, and even if you were, THE PHONE IS 4 YEARS OLD! You're talking about an industry that measures generations in months, not years. It's as if you're complaining your computer from 1984 isn't supported anymore.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

This is a person with multiple skill sets
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
disneysteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjevans View Post
I assume you mean an iPhone 3G. There is no iPhone 3. If so, that phone came out in 2008, which is forever ago in technology, especially mobile technology.

You're not being forced to upgrade, and even if you were, THE PHONE IS 4 YEARS OLD! You're talking about an industry that measures generations in months, not years. It's as if you're complaining your computer from 1984 isn't supported anymore.

Yeah, I know. And yes, it is a 3G. Of course, even though the model was launched 4 years ago, I haven't had it 4 years and it hasn't been 4 years since Apple stopped selling it. So support is starting to drop off for a product that they were still marketing in mid-2010. Something just seems wrong with that to me. Maybe I'm being too old fashioned but the lifespan of a product ought to be more than 2 years even when we're talking about high-tech stuff.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Spaceace5150
Mouseketeer

Quote:

It is 4 years old. So what? A product that cost at least $199 (subsidized - who knows what the full price is) should be able to be used for more than 4 years. The fact that it is not able to be used is ridiculous. You are right, the original poster isn't complaining that a 1984 computer (28 years old) isn't still working, they are complaining about a 4 year old product.
Spaceace5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post

Amen! I am already losing a lot of apps on my iphone 4 because I don't have the upgrade, but I'm glad to know I will eventually get around to it. Well, on second thought, I probably shouldn't wait too long!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #12
tjevans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceace5150

It is 4 years old. So what? A product that cost at least $199 (subsidized - who knows what the full price is) should be able to be used for more than 4 years. The fact that it is not able to be used is ridiculous. You are right, the original poster isn't complaining that a 1984 computer (28 years old) isn't still working, they are complaining about a 4 year old product.
Yes, it's 4 years old. A product that's on a yearly release cycle, so it's 4 generations ago in a market where probably 90% or more of the market is on a yearly or bi-yearly purchase cycle.

I assume from OP's remarks he bought the phone in 2010, when it was already outdated. Now, in my opinion, I don't think it should have still been sold at that point because in technology, the emphasis isn't on when the last one was sold, it's on when did it first come out. Nevertheless, if you buy a technology product two years after it debuted, you have to expect diminished capacity much sooner than if you buy the most recent model. That's the trade off you make for getting it at a reduced price.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree, because to me, it's unreasonable to have support for a product that is four generations old.

This is a person with multiple skill sets
tjevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Euphscott
DIS Veteran

It's more of an issue of Apple has no resources (and no financial benefit) to support the old technology. Someone actually has to do the extra work to make the old units compatible. If they all had the same capabilities - then the software updates could be applied ad inifinitum..
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
disneysteve

Quote:
I assume from OP's remarks he bought the phone in 2010, when it was already outdated.
I did buy my phone in 2010. So what? At the time, there were only 2 available models of the iPhone - the 3G and the 3GS. To say the 3G was outdated is really an overstatement. The 4 didn't exist yet. Feeling no burning desire to own the latest, most expensive model, I opted for the 3G. I did so after interviewing staff at the store and learning that the differences between the two were rather minimal and not really worth the added cost. The salesperson actually advised getting the 3G, not the 3GS.

I'm happy to agree to disagree because I'm not going to change my mind here. A phone that was being actively marketed in 2010 as one of only two available models shouldn't be unsupported in 2012.

BTW, I just discovered this evening that I can no longer use the ebay app either. I see a 5 in my near future.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #15
cslittle999
DIS Veteran

This isn't really Apple's problem. They can't have the latest OS on the older devices because they are physically incapable of running them in any acceptable way.

Your problem is that app developers have stopped supporting the older OS's. It's definitely a choice on there part. From the app developer perspective people with newer devices, or devices on the latest OS's, tend to buy more apps so that's where they put their focus. that same focus also let's them minimize the number of device/OS combinations they need to test on.

CBR November 2003
WL December 2005
First Trip Home - BWV August 2007
MNSSHP - VWL October 2008
BWV/AKV Kidani August 2009
BWV November 2009 - 20th Wedding Anniversary
BWV/HHI August 2011
BWV August 2013, BCV October 2013
BWV August 2014
cslittle999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: