Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
mrslamb
Mouseketeer

Where can I refill water bottles in the parks?

Are there any places in either park where I could refill water bottles with filtered water?
Old 12-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
bcla
DIS Veteran

Not that I know if. They do have standard refrigerated water fountains. If you really need filtered water, Brita has a filtered bottle that works great on chlorine. I used to use it at the office because the municipal water just reeked of chlorine.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
DLRfan31
A Pirate's Life for Me!

There are some, here is a thread that tells you the locations:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....filtered+water

Even though the thread is a few years old, I'm pretty sure they are still there.
DLRfan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

All you will need to do is go to any counter service location that sell fountain drinks and ask for the applicable number of cups of water to fill your water bottle. They will give them for free, the water is filtered (Incidentally, this filtering is done using the same method as Dasani uses, except it comes out of the Lemonade or Ice Tea spout at most locations).

I know it's not very environmentally friendly, but they can't refill water bottles (or cups for that matter). But they can give you as many water cups as you need.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
All you will need to do is go to any counter service location that sell fountain drinks and ask for the applicable number of cups of water to fill your water bottle. They will give them for free, the water is filtered (Incidentally, this filtering is done using the same method as Dasani uses, except it comes out of the Lemonade or Ice Tea spout at most locations).

I know it's not very environmentally friendly, but they can't refill water bottles (or cups for that matter). But they can give you as many water cups as you need.
There are some self serve fountain drink locations like Plaza Inn. So you're saying the water from the fountains is prepared with reverse osmosis? I know some restaurants use it, but it's kind of tough to use for high volume applications unless they have a gigantic system. Most restaurants tend to use cartridge/UV systems because they can handle higher volumes.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

There's a lovely water refill fountain in the seating area of Rancho del Zocalo. It's in the "cart" where they also keep the hot sauce.

And there's a similar fountain right next to the Mint Julep/beignet window, though I haven't used it. It just looks exactly the same as the Rancho one.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
kayleigh83
Plotting my return...

We used the ones at restaurants like Royal Street Veranda and Plaza Inn. We did have the Brita filter bottles but the tap water was so much worse than what we're used to drinking that even that didn't cut the odd taste and we still got a bit of a sore stomach. So we stuck to filling our Brita bottles with filtered water anyways! If you are used to that kind of water (we noticed it smelled very sulphurous) it may not bother you and you could just fill a Brita bottle from any drinking fountain.
kayleigh83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh83 View Post
We used the ones at restaurants like Royal Street Veranda and Plaza Inn. We did have the Brita filter bottles but the tap water was so much worse than what we're used to drinking that even that didn't cut the odd taste and we still got a bit of a sore stomach. So we stuck to filling our Brita bottles with filtered water anyways! If you are used to that kind of water (we noticed it smelled very sulphurous) it may not bother you and you could just fill a Brita bottle from any drinking fountain.
http://www.anaheim.net/utilities/wat.../LatestWQR.pdf

Quote:
Anaheimís Sources of Supply

Anaheimís water supply is a blend of groundwater from our
ownwells, and water imported from Northern California and the
Colorado River by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern
California (MWD).

The source water for our wells is a natural aquifer that is
replenished with water from the Santa Ana River, local rainfall, and
imported water. Managed by the Orange County Water District, the
ground water basin is 350 square miles in area and lies beneath
most of northern and central Orange County. Anaheim and more
than 20 cities and retail water districts pump from the ground water
basin to provide water to homes and businesses.

Your water source depends on where you live or work within the
boundaries of our community. Generally, the source of water for
areas east and south of the 57 and 91 freeway inter change is
imported water. The central and western portions of Anaheim
mostly receive ground water or a blend with imported supplies.
Customers may also receive water from Anaheimís owned and
operated Lenain Water Treatment Facility.
The 2008 report has a pie chart that says 71% of the city's water is from city wells. I have some experience with groundwater. It may be safe to drink, but the smell is unpleasant and the minerals left behind are nasty. I'm pretty sure that Disney would at least soften their water before using it (you'll see a nasty crust in sinks and toilets if it isn't), although it wouldn't necessarily get rid of the smell without other filtering.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
There are some self serve fountain drink locations like Plaza Inn. So you're saying the water from the fountains is prepared with reverse osmosis? I know some restaurants use it, but it's kind of tough to use for high volume applications unless they have a gigantic system. Most restaurants tend to use cartridge/UV systems because they can handle higher volumes.
No, I am saying that various investigative reports have found that all that Dasni does is put the water through a filter similar to what is used on the soda fountain. This is actually true of most bottled water, some don't even get filtered at all.

They actually found that Dassani had more contamanents (sp?) than straight tap water. So, my point was don't be afraid of the water from the soda fountains.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No, I am saying that various investigative reports have found that all that Dasni does is put the water through a filter similar to what is used on the soda fountain. This is actually true of most bottled water, some don't even get filtered at all.

They actually found that Dassani had more contamanents (sp?) than straight tap water. So, my point was don't be afraid of the water from the soda fountains.
Most of the descriptions of Coca-Cola's process for their Dasani brand is that it undergoes reverse osmosis with municipal tap water as the source. Then they add a small amount of minerals back so it doesn't have a flat taste like distilled water.

http://www.dasani.com/faq/

Quote:
How is DASANI made?

To create DASANI water, we start with the local water supply, which is then filtered for purity using a state-of-the-art process called reverse osmosis. We then add a special blend of minerals for that pure, crisp, fresh taste.
There is of course the possibility that there's some sort of contamination in the bottling line. They have many different bottling lines, and the only report I heard was some of what they sold in the UK was contaminated. Apparently the reason for that was because the supply of calcium did something that formed bromate. I'm not sure where the bromine would come from, but that's what they claim.

Reverse osmosis water without anything else added is close to distilled, and should be almost pure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3550063.stm

Quote:
In a statement, Coca-Cola said the contamination had been initially caused by its regular practice of adding calcium to Dasani, calcium which in this case "did not meet our quality standards".

As a result, bromate went on to be formed during the manufacturing processes.

"Immediately after we identified this issue we consulted with the Food Standards Agency," said Coca-Cola.

"The FSA has confirmed that there is no immediate health or safety issue. The withdrawal is a precautionary measure."

The firm added that the withdrawal only affected Dasani in the UK.
I found something that describes the issue. The calcium chloride they used in that UK bottling plant had excessive levels of bromite.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0320-08.htm
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

An informative an entertaining episode of Penn and Teller BullSh*t about Bottled Water
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
duckwife
Mouseketeer

There is also one at Tomorrowland Terrrace by the condiment station. It has nice cold water so we refill whenever we are in the area.

Disneyland trips 1982, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, May 2011, Nov 2011, March 2012, November 2012, May 2013, Oct 2013
duckwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Most of the descriptions of Coca-Cola's process for their Dasani brand is that it undergoes reverse osmosis with municipal tap water as the source. Then they add a small amount of minerals back so it doesn't have a flat taste like distilled water.

http://www.dasani.com/faq/

There is of course the possibility that there's some sort of contamination in the bottling line. They have many different bottling lines, and the only report I heard was some of what they sold in the UK was contaminated. Apparently the reason for that was because the supply of calcium did something that formed bromate. I'm not sure where the bromine would come from, but that's what they claim.

Reverse osmosis water without anything else added is close to distilled, and should be almost pure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3550063.stm

I found something that describes the issue. The calcium chloride they used in that UK bottling plant had excessive levels of bromite.

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0320-08.htm
They can claim all they want, pretty much all of the local newscasts in the L.A. area have done investigative reports on bottled water over the past few years and have found them all to be no better (in many cases worse) than tap water. The real bottom line is tap water is safe and free, at least for most people who live in the U.S.

NOTE: Tap water is not safe for those that are traveling from other countries in many cases, because our tap water has different things in it than theirs does, the same is true if we visit their countries, the water may be safe for them, but not for us.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

FWIW, I cannot stand the taste or smell of Anaheim water, but the water that comes from the Rancho area is perfect and delicious. There IS something different about it.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They can claim all they want, pretty much all of the local newscasts in the L.A. area have done investigative reports on bottled water over the past few years and have found them all to be no better (in many cases worse) than tap water. The real bottom line is tap water is safe and free, at least for most people who live in the U.S.

NOTE: Tap water is not safe for those that are traveling from other countries in many cases, because our tap water has different things in it than theirs does, the same is true if we visit their countries, the water may be safe for them, but not for us.
I never said that US municipal tap water wasn't safe. However, at the very least some treatment methods leave things in the water that can be objectionable. I mentioned one workplace where the water came from a treated source that had noticeable chlorine. It was as close as possible as smelling like pool water as I'd image would be legal. A simple carbon filtration system took care of the taste/odor issue. Otherwise the water was very good.

And well water is another issue. Disneyland gets well water from the City of Anaheim. It's a lot cheaper and doesn't involve a myriad of rights issues. It is safe to drink, but there's all sorts of stuff in there that smells and tastes odd even after being softened.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: