Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
socababy
DIS Veteran

How many leave rental car parked at PC port?

I'm trying to figure out what the best plan of action should be used for our August trip. We will be flying in and renting a car to be used for the 6 days we are at WDW. We will be bringing a car seat, booster seat and a stroller with us, all of which we will not need once we are on our 5 night cruise immediately following our 6 days at WDW. I'd like to make the best financial decision but regardless of what that is, the idea of leaving the rental at the port sounds good because we can leave the car seats, the stroller and any other bags that won't be needed on the cruise in the car. What have others done in this situation? BTW, we wll have 6 of us in our party.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med

Last edited by socababy; 03-27-2012 at 03:59 PM.
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

We've done it on a 4 day cruise since we were there for 2 days prior and it was cheaper to rent the car for a week and pay for parking than to do 2 rentals. You really need to price everything out to see which makes the most financial sense.
Parking at PC for your cruise will be $90 ($15 x 6 days). You can park at Park and Cruise for $36+tax if reserved in advance.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
Disneyhenry
DIS Veteran

We did

We went to WDW for 10 days before going on DCL, what we did was booked a hotel that had a stay and cruise package. We stayed the night before the cruise, they took us to the ship at the time we requested and then they picked us up after our cruise. It went pretty smooth and it just cost us the 1 night hotel stay.

DH DSME

Disneyland 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008,2007, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1994
WDW Split stay AKV-Kinadi and POP 2011
DCL - DREAM 2011, Wonder to Hawaii 2012
Dec 2013 Family Reunion at WL!
Disneyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, I'm going to ask some "stupid" questions here because they play into the decision.

Do you NEED a vehicle for 6 days at WDW, and if so, why? If you are doing WDW and not going off property, your car will spend most of that time sitting in a parking lot. You will find it easier and quicker to use WDW transportation (which is free) when you go from a resort to any of the parks, Downtown Disney, water parks, etc. The WDW buses run about every 15-20 minutes; depending on where you are staying there are also boats and the monorails. While parking at WDW is free for resort guests, it is NOT easy to drive from a resort to a park parking lot and walk a long distance in--it is easier to use a WDW bus and be dropped a lot closer to the entrance.

The only times a car is nice is when you plan to go off property or if you are going from one resort to another (like you are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and going from there to the Boardwalk for dinner. You can do this on a bus, but you must transfer--for instance, from ALK to the Contemporary you would take the bus from AKL to Magic Kingdom and then either walk or hop the monorail to the Contemporary.

Magical Express will get you FREE from MCO to any WDW resort.

You can pick up a rental car from several different companies at the hotels near Downtown Disney (for instance, Budget is in the Doubletree, Hertz in the Hilton, etc). We usually get our car the afternoon before we leave WDW. This allows us a store stop if needed as well as an easy trip for dinner at a resort other than where we are staying.

We do one way car rentals--drop off near Port Canaveral (the car codes will be CAPE Canaveral or Cocoa Beach depending on the company. Budget is CC5...and it's sad that I don't have to look that up! On the way back, we get another one way car rental. Budget will store your car seat for you if you are renting from them both before and after your cruise--you place it in a big garbage bag (if desired) and label it. It's there waiting when you get back. Not sure what else you will want to store--if you can sit it IN the car seat, I'm sure it could stay in the bag with the seat. I wouldn't be storing luggage if I were flying from California. I'd do laundry the last night at WDW (easy), and get on the ship with everything clean--allowing me to take about 1/2 the amount of clothing.

Unless you are getting an amazing deal, I can't see paying to rent a car and paying to park it while I am cruising. For a one way full size car, I pay under $50, for a minivan, I've paid $34 and $93 per day (had a great code for the $34) These are FULL cost including taxes and fees. Use discount codes at rentalcodes.com or mousesavers.com. Same sort of deal--unless I am using the car while at WDW, I can't see why I'd want to pay for it there.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
wmharley
DIS Veteran

Location: Central-ish Florida. Roughly under an hour to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
OK, I'm going to ask some "stupid" questions here because they play into the decision.

Do you NEED a vehicle for 6 days at WDW, and if so, why? If you are doing WDW and not going off property, your car will spend most of that time sitting in a parking lot. You will find it easier and quicker to use WDW transportation (which is free) when you go from a resort to any of the parks, Downtown Disney, water parks, etc. The WDW buses run about every 15-20 minutes; depending on where you are staying there are also boats and the monorails. While parking at WDW is free for resort guests, it is NOT easy to drive from a resort to a park parking lot and walk a long distance in--it is easier to use a WDW bus and be dropped a lot closer to the entrance.

The only times a car is nice is when you plan to go off property or if you are going from one resort to another (like you are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and going from there to the Boardwalk for dinner. You can do this on a bus, but you must transfer--for instance, from ALK to the Contemporary you would take the bus from AKL to Magic Kingdom and then either walk or hop the monorail to the Contemporary.

You can pick up a rental car from several different companies at the hotels near Downtown Disney (for instance, Budget is in the Doubletree, Hertz in the Hilton, etc). We usually get our car the afternoon before we leave WDW. This allows us a store stop if needed as well as an easy trip for dinner at a resort other than where we are staying.

We do one way car rentals--drop off near Port Canaveral (the car codes will be CAPE Canaveral or Cocoa Beach depending on the company. Budget is CC5...and it's sad that I don't have to look that up! On the way back, we get another one way car rental. Budget will store your car seat for you if you are renting from them both before and after your cruise--you place it in a big garbage bag (if desired) and label it. It's there waiting when you get back. Not sure what else you will want to store--if you can sit it IN the car seat, I'm sure it could stay in the bag with the seat. I wouldn't be storing luggage if I were flying from California. I'd do laundry the last night at WDW (easy), and get on the ship with everything clean--allowing me to take about 1/2 the amount of clothing.

Unless you are getting an amazing deal, I can't see paying to rent a car and paying to park it while I am cruising. For a one way full size car, I pay under $50, for a minivan, I've paid $34 and $93 per day (had a great code for the $34) These are FULL cost including taxes and fees. Use discount codes at rentalcodes.com or mousesavers.com. Same sort of deal--unless I am using the car while at WDW, I can't see why I'd want to pay for it there.
I disagree. Many times the lines at a hotel are long and you miss a bus and have to wait an extra 15-20 minutes. then, depending on what hotel you are in, there may be other stops before yours.

With a car, i pop in, drive the same distance to the lot, and can walk or tram fairly quickly to resort. I think the only place with an advantage is the MK as the buses bring you right up front to the main entrance area.

i like the flexibility of a car, alhtough I am fairly local so i have a car anyways. I don't want to be locked into all Disney, and like the option to get out and do other things. If you don't want to get out, fine..
the lack of using a smilie in any post of mine does NOT automatically mean the post was mean or in any way meant to offend you. Please do not be offended by anything I say and by the lack of a smilie.
wmharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
mybeachbabies
Mouseketeer

We have 4 kids...2 of which are in carseats and 2 in boosters. Installing, uninstalling, reinstalling carseats is exhausting so we chose to rent a minivan for our entire stay and leave it parked at the port during our cruise. It was very convenient and not that much more expensive. For us, the extra cost was worth it for the convenience factor.

Dream 11/6/11 ~ Wonder MR 3/18/12 ~ Wonder Pacific Coast 10/7/12 ~ Fantasy Eastern 6/15/13 ~ Wonder San Diego 5/17/14 ~ Fantasy Western 6/7/14
mybeachbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
socababy
DIS Veteran

Yes we will need the car for WDW as we are staying offsite. I would rent carseats from the car rental place but last time we did that, we had a hard time installing this seat we were unfamiliar with and it didn't have a manual with it. I guess we will try to crunch the numbers and see if it makes more sense either way. I just don't want to cram our inside stateroom with carseats and a stroller.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner

We have done WDW 9 times now with kids...and have rented a car all but ONE of those times. That one time?... Our first trip! Hahaha... Never again. We stay on site (DVC), and I like having to not rely on Disney's busses to make my dining reservations... I like being able to throw the stroller in the trunk without holding up a line of people waiting for me to collapse it... I like being able to hop over to DTD for a meal at Wolfgang Puck or last minute craving from Goofy's candy shop without a ton of planning (and waiting) involved... And most of all i love that after a long day in the parks, my kids can be passed out in their car seat on the way back to the hotel while others are in massive lines for trains and busses after the fireworks, with cranky tired kids in tow!

This upcoming trip we are arriving night before, staying at SSR, then heading to the Dream for 3 nights AND parking rental car at the port....then returning for 7 nights at WDW. I priced out a zillion different scenarios, but ended up finding a great deal with Alamo and am keeping the rental car the whole trip as the lowest cost option! It's the right choice for us hands down!!
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.
DbleTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We always rent a car for WDW, we rather walk to the parking lot than take the bus

Both times we cruised it cost the same, (or less), to keep the car while were on the cruise as it would for 2 one way rentals, and parked at the Park n Cruise. It was great that we were able to leave things we didn't need like the stroller and car seats behind.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

I totally agree that it is nice to have a car at WDW (that's why we pick up our rental the afternoon before heading to the cruise). I'm just too cheap to pay for a rental the whole time. When we've driven down, I've found that I really don't like driving around WDW except when going from one resort to another.

However, OP is staying off site, making a car almost a necessity. As others have said, you'll have to look at the numbers. The Hyatt Place NW has a Stay and Cruise package that includes an overnight at the hotel, breakfast, and round trip transportation for up to 4 people (so with 6, you'll need 2 rooms). Our cost was $121, but I've seen it as high as $150 for different dates. Leaving the car in the lot saves the parking fee at port. Obviously, you'd also save the gas and toll costs as this hotel is in the MCO area. I have no idea how the cost of this hotel compares with the place OP is already planning to stay, but this is a good deal for a one night stay.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: