Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

arrival the day before February cruise

We are arriving the day before are cruise on Friday. My DH thinks I am nuts that I wanted to arrive a day early. I told him that I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I want to take the noon or 230pm flight out so there would be more options in case of cancellations. He wants to take the 730pm flight which is the last flight of the day. Opinions?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Well, seeing as weather can be really unpredictable in February, I think you'd be nuts *NOT* to arrive the day before. I've had flights delayed six hours or more due to bad weather (not necessarily where I'm flying to or from; you never know what's going to affect your route). I also agree that you don't want to take the last flight out. If it gets cancelled, you're out of luck until the next day. I think your plans are right on, and totally what I'd do. (Actually, that *is* what I'm doing in December -- flying in the day before, early afternoon. I actually wish I could have flown in 2 days ahead of time...)

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Sunseeker17
Mouseketeer

Same here for our January cruise...arriving the day before. If that flight gets cancelled, there's a chance we can still get to Orlando in time the next morning if need be...!

Sunseeker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

Lol I wanted to do the same thing arrive two days before. But told my mom we would take DS to school before we leave on Friday. Flights are soo much cheaper on Thursday.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The last flight out is better than attempting to fly in the morning of the cruise, but earlier in the day gives you more options.

Yeah, we've done the last flight out in order to leave after work/school. But if 2:30 can work for you, so much the better.

My logic is that if I'm in Orlando, then I'm going to be on that ship. I can't say the same if I'm sitting at my home airport.

Stuff happens, even when it isn't winter. And it doesn't have to happen at an airport you are using to mess up your flight--if it affects the plane that was scheduled to do your flight, you can still be in a mess even though your airport is clear. We departed 7 hours late and missed the last connecting flight of the day when the Indianapolis tower went out of commission (who knew Indy controlled much of the southeast US?) And we had beautiful weather.

The idea of being safe if DCL books your flights doesn't hold up either. It is true that they will hold the ship if you are just a little late (like you're at MCO when you should be on the ship), but they can't do a thing if snow closes an airport. Sure, they can get you to the first port of call, but that's not the way to have a stress free vacation.

One other point is that if I fly in the day of the cruise, I have to be up before dawn to go to the airport. Since we no longer have a direct flight on Sat am, I have to connect--usually thru Atlanta....and I arrive at the cruise terminal later than I'd like, tired, and somewhat stressed. If I leave the day before I can often get a direct flight. Even if not, I'll have a good night of sleep in a hotel, eat a decent breakfast, and get to the cruise terminal in a much better frame of mind.

Last edited by kcashner; 11-12-2012 at 01:56 AM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

I would only consider flying in the day of if we booked air through disney. Otherwise, I'd fly in the day before (or better yet, a few days before!)
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

We sailed from Ft. Lauderdale (non-DCL) back in Feb 06. My brother & SIL, also sailing with us, thought we were crazy to fly down the day before & "have to pay for a hotel stay". Our flight was 10am, theirs was 8 pm. Wouldn't you know we got around 8-10" of snow that started that morning we were due to fly. We finally got my brother to call the airport to have his flight moved up to a sooner one, around 4 or 5 pm. His was one of the last flights out before the airport closed.

I like to minimize any amount of stress surrounding vacation.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixleigh View Post
We are arriving the day before are cruise on Friday. My DH thinks I am nuts that I wanted to arrive a day early. I told him that I wanted to be safe rather than sorry. I want to take the noon or 230pm flight out so there would be more options in case of cancellations. He wants to take the 730pm flight which is the last flight of the day. Opinions?
You are right on-that is exactly what we are doing. It's just better to be safe than sorry, especially when you live in snow country like us!
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Is your name Phoenixleigh because you live in Phoenix? Just wondering, because when we fly from Phx to MCO, even the earliest flight would get us into Florida too late to make a cruise out of Port Canaveral, especially when you factor in two time zone changes.

And that's when the plane is on time.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
canadiancruisers
Mouseketeer

Another one in favour of the early flight the day before the cruise! We flew in from Edmonton (Alberta Canada) in December for our Magic cruise. We planned to fly in the day before, but mechanical (not weather) delays made us miss our connecting flight. We ended up overnighting in Minneapolis. That was stressful enough, but they assured us that we could fly out on the first flight the next morning and still make it. The next morning, another thing went wrong and there was a terrible snow storm in Minneapolis and our plane almost never left. We were the very last flight to get out of Minneapolis (hours late) and we arrived in Orlando in time to catch the last Disney shuttle to the cruise. On top of that, the airline lost our luggage in the process and we were without our luggage until the 4th day of the cruise when it was flown in to Grand Cayman!

If we hadn't had the extra day built in, any one of those problems could have caused us to miss the ship rather than just arrive late without luggage. At least it was a magical cruise and more than made up for the issues!
canadiancruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #11
BeardedDragons
Earning My Ears

Definitely a fan of flying into Orlando at least the day before. Having alternate flight options available to us incase of weather/mechanical/other delays helps keep stress levels down.

---
WDW, Pop Century ~ Jan 2014 | Atlantis ~ July 2013 | Fantasy ~ Jan 2013 | Magic ~ Jan 2012 | WDW, Off-site ~ Dec 2011 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Jun 2011 | Wonder ~ Dec 2010 | WDW, ASSports ~ Dec 2010 | Atlantis ~ May 2010 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Dec 2009 | Quebec City & Nova Scotia ~ July 2009 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2008 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2007 | WDW, Off-site ~ Feb 1987
BeardedDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Stuff happens, even when it isn't winter. And it doesn't have to happen at an airport you are using to mess up your flight--if it affects the plane that was scheduled to do your flight, you can still be in a mess even though your airport is clear.

Yep. DS and I had a flight from Seattle down to Orange County, CA. (it was a flight booked on miles so this "flight" was actually 3 flights...SEA to Portland to San Francisco to Orange County) We walked in 2 hours before the flight, as we always strive to do, to find utter chaos.

There was "weather" on the east coast (note: this was in JULY) which had just obliterated the fleet. We were on United, which takes up a lot of room at Seatac and it's all we noticed, so I'm not sure if it was just United or all of them. Anyway, flights on the west, going only to the west, were completely messed up because the planes they needed could not get there. It was dreadful.

We are on a cruise Feb 7. We're flying on the 5th. This was originally done for my MIL's sake, because she hates what she considers to be "rushing". Now she's not going, but we're sticking with the flights because it just makes more sense. We *want* to stay at the MCO Hyatt, but at $242/night that's NOT happening. But there's the Ramada Suites right near by, which is under $100. Or if we go wild we'll just head to a Universal resort and play at Universal on the 6th. (still cheaper than the Hyatt for those dates) (helps that we have Universal APs)

I like starting a vacation gently, which means taking at least the day off before the flight. DH has been a slow adopter to this idea (especially because it's HIS days off that are being taken, LOL), but he's seeing the light.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
holula
DIS Veteran

I have had far too many airline delays due to weather/mechanical issues/plane not landed to even consider flying in the day of a cruise. The smallest delay can mean missing a connection.

A couple of months ago, I flew from PHL to BNA and ended up landing 12 hours later than I should have thanks to a communication issue in ATL. Fun times.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western

Last edited by holula; 11-12-2012 at 06:43 AM.
holula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #14
phoenixleigh
Mouseketeer

No sorry I don't live in Phoenix. I made this screen name when I was in high school. I like the mythical bird Phoenix. I live in Maryland. I going to tell my DH what I read. He will probably shake his head and say whatever just tell me when to be there. This is why I plan all the vacations :-) If he planned them I would be a nervous wreck before we got there lol. You should see us trying to get to the airport lol.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixleigh
No sorry I don't live in Phoenix. I made this screen name when I was in high school. I like the mythical bird Phoenix. I live in Maryland. I going to tell my DH what I read. He will probably shake his head and say whatever just tell me when to be there. This is why I plan all the vacations :-) If he planned them I would be a nervous wreck before we got there lol. You should see us trying to get to the airport lol.
We always leave home at least a couple of days earlier than we need to because of possible weather problems with flights. We live on a small island 30 miles off mainland UK and our planes cannot land in fog, so to be sure of getting our flight out of London on a Tuesday, we have booked a flight off our island on the Friday before straight after school. Hopefully the weather will be fine so we just get a few days extra to travel to London!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: