Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
JimPGH
Earning My Ears

Mommy I'm not feeling the magic.

I was reading a review of one of the resorts on tripadvisor, and the lady said her kid told her she wasn't feeling the magic. The mom wasn't feeling it either. It seemed like their first and last trip to WDW, and they were unprepared and overwhelmed. I felt bad for them, I feel the magic all the time, and I was only there once, last November. I feel it every weekend when I drink from my souvenir coffee cup. I felt it yesterday at the Disney store when I bought that new Tinkerbell movie, (its ummm for my daughter, ok uh sure!) I saved our room keys and just look at them at work, and can't help but smile. Of all the places I've been, I want to go back to WDW the most, and can't wait to go next year. Anybody else ever just not feel it? Why? What killed your buzz?
JimPGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPGH View Post
I was reading a review of one of the resorts on tripadvisor, and the lady said her kid told her she wasn't feeling the magic. The mom wasn't feeling it either. It seemed like their first and last trip to WDW, and they were unprepared and overwhelmed. I felt bad for them, I feel the magic all the time, and I was only there once, last November. I feel it every weekend when I drink from my souvenir coffee cup. I felt it yesterday at the Disney store when I bought that new Tinkerbell movie, (its ummm for my daughter, ok uh sure!) I saved our room keys and just look at them at work, and can't help but smile. Of all the places I've been, I want to go back to WDW the most, and can't wait to go next year. Anybody else ever just not feel it? Why? What killed your buzz?
It comes down to Disney not being for everyone! My BFF (who has 3 young kids) literally throws up in her mouth when I start talking about Disney...she just doesn't understand why we go so often and would rather take her family anywhere else.

We, as a family, just get it, and love it!
But, it's not for everyone...and I feel a little bad for those who don't love it...but for them, they aren't missing anything.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
It comes down to Disney not being for everyone! My BFF (who has 3 young kids) literally throws up in her mouth when I start talking about Disney...she just doesn't understand why we go so often and would rather take her family anywhere else.

We, as a family, just get it, and love it!
But, it's not for everyone...and I feel a little bad for those who don't love it...but for them, they aren't missing anything.

I definitely agree here... We have several friends who don't get why we love it as much as we do. Some of them have gone and they say once was more than enough. Others try to convince us why we shoudn't love it...ummm what?? Disney isn't for everyone, I agree, I just hate when folks who don't like it try to rain on our parade

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
JimPGH
Earning My Ears

So what do they like to do for vacation? What can't you do at Disney?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

I think it also comes back to whether you plan and prepare. The people I know who hated Disney World the most are the ones who go there and arrive in the middle of the day to 90-minute waits on all the rides, don't know how to use fastpass, fail to make restaurant reservations and are disappointed when they can't get in anywhere, etc.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPGH
Please tell me you're kidding . We are locals with APs, but would never dream of vacationing at any of the Disney properties. It's just not my idea of "vacation." On the other hand, we'll be visiting MK tomorrow, so it's not like I'm a Disney hater! WDW is one specific type of vacation, but it definitely isn't one size fits all!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
mommyrosa2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
I think it also comes back to whether you plan and prepare. The people I know who hated Disney World the most are the ones who go there and arrive in the middle of the day to 90-minute waits on all the rides, don't know how to use fastpass, fail to make restaurant reservations and are disappointed when they can't get in anywhere, etc.
exactly! And I "get it" that not everyone wants to plan, plan, plan...it's not for everyone. I just hate to hear them complain to me and try to give me a hard time either b/c we do actually enjoy our trips, have fun and we have plenty of downtime too, imagine that and yes, we planned

mommyrosa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
There's a great big world out there!! I LOVE all things Disney; however, I don't confuse seeing the Eiffel Tower in Epcot with seeing the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:
I've travelled all over the world and there is plenty you cannot do at Disney. While Disney is a fun option for many, it's certainly not the only option.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
JimPGH
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey

I've travelled all over the world and there is plenty you cannot do at Disney. While Disney is a fun option for many, it's certainly not the only option.
I guess I should have said, "what else can you do with a little kid that you can't do at WDW.". I did plenty before I had a kid, (Amsterdam, Sturgis, northern Italy, all through Mexico, etc). That stuff is on hold for now though.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I have 2 (adult now) daughters. We started going when they were teens. They both love Disney, my oldest more then the youngest.
I have friends that have gone, and don't care for it at all. Some were the ones that don't arrive at the parks till noon, didn't research, etc. it's not everyone's idea of a vacay.
Some just want to relax, and sleep in. Wdw is not that type of vacay.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess I should have said, "what else can you do with a little kid that you can't do at WDW.". I did plenty before I had a kid, (Amsterdam, Sturgis, northern Italy, all through Mexico, etc). That stuff is on hold for now though.
Climb the lions in front of Buckingham Palace, swim in the Pacific ocean (or any ocean), float a toy boat in the Tuileries Gardens, ride a horse through the desert, spend the night in a lighthouse....

A very few of the many things I did as a little kid that I couldn't have done at WDW.
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Seriously? That's like going to the Olive Garden and saying you've been to Rome.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Mariep26
DIS Veteran

Agreed that Disney isn't for everyone but I do feel bad for folks who arrive ill-prepared and then decide that Disney isn't for them. Maybe they wouldn't like Disney if they had done all the preparations like many of us do, but maybe they would. It would be sad if they were missing out on the "magic" because they made a rash decision based on one trip.

I imagine there will come a time when the kids will want to go elsewhere for vacation but for now it is Disney!
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
GoofyFairie
DIS Veteran

I am joining you JimPGH. I LOVE Disney. It has brought me so much happiness. I too keep the key cards and enjoy my souvenir mug. My sisters each bought me a Goofy mug and every christmas my wonderful DH gets me many disney things to enjoy throughout the year. I buy into the magic. Life is stressful and the news is depressing, give me a place that caters to my family, delivers happiness, and lets me feel like and be kid again. I only wish we could afford to go every year. Here's to Mickey and the Gang!

I've been Boo'd! Thank you suprgrlx! And agnes!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow and tomorrow's just a dream away!
GoofyFairie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: