Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill

Sometimes you cannot order off the child's menu if you are not nine or under. Sometimes they may let you, but they may also charge you an adult price for that meal. However, buffets have set prices based on the age of the guest. Most buffets offer more than just food for the price, so you are also paying for the entertainment. And if you choose not to pay the price, you can always dine elsewhere.

No, we haven't all done it.
Whatever!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360

Well, i was hesitant but come on we've all done it.
I did it once.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360

oops, double post!

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360 View Post
You should really just speak for yourself. It will go over better.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #20
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If she doesnt eat that much just tell them she's 9
A child that age is very aware of teaching them to lie if it's a *convenient* thing to do. It could back fire. Sometimes the wait staff, just being nice and friendly to a child will ask something about their birth date, etc. The child could very well say that really I'm 10, but my mom told me I'm 9 for this meal. Children can be so innocently honest - should teach parents a lesson
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

Justify it however you like but its lying and cheating and no, I havent ever done it.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
SarahKate
DIS Veteran

Not true that "we have all done it." my daughter is 10 and I have never, ever lied about her age to save a buck. And the excuse that Disney is making money either way is just a cop out. It is wrong, plain and simple. There's really no way to justify it. It's not Disney's problem that your child eats like a bird. They set the rules. At a regular restaurant, yes, you can absolutely buy a kids meal. Adults even order them. But at a buffet it's based on age.

It may seem like a little white lie that's harmless but kids are like sponges. I'm not a perfect parent at ALL but lying is non negotiable in our family. If us paying adult prices is a deal breaker, then we just don't go.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Can 2 kids say 12 and 10 split an adult meal at a TS restaurant, when paying OOP?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #24
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

It's so hard to be honest these days

I get it. It sucks to pay an adult price for someone that eats a small amount. But, IT SUCKS. It doesn't mean you don't do it.

You're going to be uncomfortable lying (at least I'd hope so... unless this is a regular occurrence), your daughter will be uncomfortable hearing it.

Big believer in if I don't like the rules I stay away. If you don't like the price, go somewhere else. I'm not looking forward to the day my 7 year old hits 10. She's in the 5% range for height and weight. Tiny. I'll still be paying the prices she should be paying.

Don't they put ages on the KTTW? I can't remember. But if they do, and someone asks to see it, wouldn't it be embarrassing if you lied?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I agree 10 is still too young to charge for an adult. Now my 13 yr old son I would have no problem paying adult price. I buy him adult meals now. Now my 10 yr old dd eats just as much as her 7 yr old sister. I can understand the ticket prices the way they are but I think they should change the policy for the DP and buffets. Just like the age for the resorts is older they could do the same for this too.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
Maggie'sMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldiz View Post
Does this go for all restaurants or just Buffets???

Meaning can I go to Flying Fish etc....and order off the kids menu??
WDW can't enforce 10yr olds only ordering off adult menu.....dosent even make sense
Thanks
Kerri
At most non-buffet/non-family style meals, it won't be a problem for a 10 year old to order off the kids' menu. There may be a few exceptions though. At most of the non-buffet restuarants, they probably won't even ask your DD's age.

Quote:
Um... no, we haven't ALL done it. I haven't.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #27
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
Can 2 kids say 12 and 10 split an adult meal at a TS restaurant, when paying OOP?
If you're paying out of pocket you can get whatever you want. There may be one or two restaurants that have an issue, but general consensus is that it is fine
Old 11-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKate View Post
Not true that "we have all done it." my daughter is 10 and I have never, ever lied about her age to save a buck. And the excuse that Disney is making money either way is just a cop out. It is wrong, plain and simple. There's really no way to justify it. It's not Disney's problem that your child eats like a bird. They set the rules. At a regular restaurant, yes, you can absolutely buy a kids meal. Adults even order them. But at a buffet it's based on age.

It may seem like a little white lie that's harmless but kids are like sponges. I'm not a perfect parent at ALL but lying is non negotiable in our family. If us paying adult prices is a deal breaker, then we just don't go.
I agree. My dd eats like a bird, but age 10 = adult prices so starting at age 10 we knowingly paid for more food than we knew she'd eat or just skipped some buffet meals. There are plenty of non-buffet places to eat if you don't want to pay the appropriate price for your family at a buffet.

Many buffets at WDW are character meals, and if we did pay for one I would think of it as an entertainment fee as well as a food fee.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #29
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellietony View Post
My son will also be 9 again this year. As a matter of fact, he knows that to be his answer if asked. And I have no problem with that. I think 10 is too young. It should be 12 or 13.
Yikes! So you have literally taught your child to lie because you don't agree with the rules? I can't see that being a problem in his teen years... When you catch him lying during the later years, remember this thread!

Oh and I totally agree that 10 is too young to be considered an adult. With that said, the rule is the rule and I don't want my child learning, especially from me!, that it's okay to lie to get around the rules.

Last edited by NHKristy76; 11-11-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

So the answer to your question would be: Yes, even if you are not on the DDP you still have to pay the adult fee for your 10 year old.

But last December we were at Cape May Cafe for dinner and our server put in our DD who was 10 at the time as a child on our ticket. We had to make him change it because we were on the DDP and our credits had her as an adult.

Maybe pixie dust will come to you.

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 AKV Kidani June 2016

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: