Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
mrsdrum
Earning My Ears

Question POR or AKL

We currently have a 7 night reservation at AoA in the LM section. Of course this wasn't included in the new discounts. We are thinking of upgrading to POR or AKL. If we do POR we can stay at 7 nights but will probably have to go to 6 for AKL. How do they compare? I am not really crazy about the alligator bayou rooms. Thoughts?
mrsdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdrum View Post
We currently have a 7 night reservation at AoA in the LM section. Of course this wasn't included in the new discounts. We are thinking of upgrading to POR or AKL. If we do POR we can stay at 7 nights but will probably have to go to 6 for AKL. How do they compare? I am not really crazy about the alligator bayou rooms. Thoughts?
We've never stayed at POR so I can't comment on that resort, but we loved AKL. We are probably in the minority, but we would go for less nights (if needed) and stay deluxe over more nights at a mod. We love AKL for the theme/decor, Boma, and the ability to watch animals from several places around the resort. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
Carlyzmom
AXIOM Crew Member
I see naked people all the time that are NOT pretty

Our most recent trip was AKL and it was absolutely amazing!! I would only stay there if I could have a savannah view again. BUT, my only complaint was the location. It's a 30 minute bus ride to MK! We felt we wasted a lot of time traveling because of the location.

You could ask for a different section at POR. It's truly a beautiful resort. We are staying there in June. All rooms have been refurbished and have queen beds. Not sure if I would pay a ton more for a deluxe again.
1995 Disneyland Hotel - California
1997 Fort Wilderness
1998 Fort Wilderness
2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 Port Orleans Riverside

Me DH DD 13 DS 11
Carlyzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
CoolPool
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1

We've never stayed at POR so I can't comment on that resort, but we loved AKL. We are probably in the minority, but we would go for less nights (if needed) and stay deluxe over more nights at a mod. We love AKL for the theme/decor, Boma, and the ability to watch animals from several places around the resort. Good luck.
Also a member of the AKL fan club. Very biased. We use deluxe amenities like balconies and restaurants. But frankly its the most singular resort on property; unique and rare. It is a vacation within a vacation. However if you spend most of your day at the parks, then all of this will be lost on you and you might resent the choice.
CoolPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I've stayed at both and like them both. AKL is probably our favourite deluxe resort- of all of them, AKL gives one the feeling of being really away from it all- in your own very special world. It is (to us) the most unique of all and we really enjoy all of the amenities that the resort has to offer. We've never felt that transportation was that big a deal- it is no more than 10 minutes further from MK than the Epcot resorts.

We have also stayed at POR multiple times and think that it is a very nice resort. Providing you have fewer than 5 people in your group, you can always request a room in the Mansions section if you don't like the AB rooms. Of course this can't be guaranteed, but they do whatever they can to meet requests.

Picking one over the other can be difficult. I would tend to vote for AKL, all things being equal. But I think I would prefer to go with POR if it meant I could have one extra day at WDW.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Shaden
DIS Veteran

I would pretty much always pick a longer stay ... including in this case.

An extra night and day is an extra night and day at Disney. Both are fantastic resorts no doubt and you will have a great time at either one.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #7
mrsdrum
Earning My Ears

Smile

Thanks everyone! We ended up upgrading to POR. We are going to stay in the Royal Guest Room. Our DD is 6 and will love the princess theme. In the end we decided the extra day beats the deluxe resort.
mrsdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everyone! We ended up upgrading to POR. We are going to stay in the Royal Guest Room. Our DD is 6 and will love the princess theme. In the end we decided the extra day beats the deluxe resort.
I agree! We love both resorts, but an extra day will always win with me! I'd request Oak Manor, closest to main pool location.
Love POR. Be sure to take the boat to DTD, and see Bob Jackson's show, a lot of fun. Food court is great, our fav is the make your own pasta bar. Yum.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolPool View Post
Also a member of the AKL fan club. Very biased. We use deluxe amenities like balconies and restaurants. But frankly its the most singular resort on property; unique and rare. It is a vacation within a vacation. However if you spend most of your day at the parks, then all of this will be lost on you and you might resent the choice.
Pretty much sums up what I was going to say!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Headed4Fun
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Can't speak for AKL but we stayed at POR in a Royal Room in December. My kids (DS5 and DD2) both enjoyed it. I'm sure you'll have a great stay there!
Headed4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

Have a great stay!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: