Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #346
jsails
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGa View Post
Since DH and I have never cruised before, we have no idea if we will feel the effects of seasickness. Maybe taking a 2 week cruise was not the best way to find out? I don't really anticipate a problem because we have both been on smaller vessels such as ferries and we have not had any problems and neither of us really suffer from motionsickness. But if we do, what do people suggest is the best medication to have on hand for seasickness? I think that I will be so busy during the day that I will forget that I am floating on top of a vast, dark, scary, body of water containing man eating creatures such as sharks (at least, I hope that I will forget)! But I am worried about nightime and lying in my bed. Do you feel the motion of the waves a lot? Does is get worrisome at times? I know we all have to die sometime, I just prefer not to do it by drowning or being eaten by sharks. Any suggestions for combatting panic attacks in the middle of the night?

Stugeron 15 is the drug of choice of sailors around the world for sea sickness. You cannot buy it in the US but I believe you can in Canada. I usually get it in England and it's across the counter. For 90 percent of people it does not cause drowsiness. We give it to everyone that sails on our boat. On my last cruise I had it and gave it to a friend who said nothing worked and it did. I'd be curious to know if you can get it across the counter in Canada. It's not very expensive.
jsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #347
MaryLou1962
LoveMyBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsails View Post
Stugeron 15 is the drug of choice of sailors around the world for sea sickness. You cannot buy it in the US but I believe you can in Canada. I usually get it in England and it's across the counter. For 90 percent of people it does not cause drowsiness. We give it to everyone that sails on our boat. On my last cruise I had it and gave it to a friend who said nothing worked and it did. I'd be curious to know if you can get it across the counter in Canada. It's not very expensive.
I'll check.

ML
MaryLou1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #348
Land Park Tudor
- - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug318ca View Post
I called and we are all still linked. I believe the best thing to do is call if you want a particular rotation. I am not partial to any particular rotation but the less time spent in Parrot Cay the better.
Does anyone know when DCL actually sits down and "puts pen to paper" to come up with the table assignments and rotations? I'm wondering when it becomes too late to put in a request -- or if perhaps it is already. (I know you can try to change when you board, but am hoping someone knows.)
Land Park Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #349
mug318ca
Mouseketeer since 1964

Quote:
Since DH and I have never cruised before, we have no idea if we will feel the effects of seasickness. Maybe taking a 2 week cruise was not the best way to find out? I don't really anticipate a problem because we have both been on smaller vessels such as ferries and we have not had any problems and neither of us really suffer from motionsickness. But if we do, what do people suggest is the best medication to have on hand for seasickness? I think that I will be so busy during the day that I will forget that I am floating on top of a vast, dark, scary, body of water containing man eating creatures such as sharks (at least, I hope that I will forget)! But I am worried about nightime and lying in my bed. Do you feel the motion of the waves a lot? Does is get worrisome at times? I know we all have to die sometime, I just prefer not to do it by drowning or being eaten by sharks. Any suggestions for combatting panic attacks in the middle of the night?
On a MR cruise last year at this time, the return trip to LA was a bit rough. Not that I got sick, but you could see the ship pitch up and down as we were going against the current. I really noticed it when walking up the stairs. As I would position my leading foot above the next step, the step would come up and meet it. No one at our dining table reported any seasickness.

Sleeping during these rough seas wasn't so bad as our bed was positioned front to back. I don't know about the inside cabins that are positioned side to side.

I have been seasick before. Last time was on the Catalina Express. I was heading over to the island at about 40MPH and it was very choppy. Was inside because it was really cold outside. I decided to move outside and take in the sea air. It helped a bit. Didn't loose my breakfast but had a slight headache.
mug318ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #350
decked out
Pirate!

Quote:
Arlene: I am very prone to motion sickness, but being on a large cruise ship is rarely a problem. The best place to be during rough seas is in bed. I would avoid taking sea sickness medication unless absolutely necessary - they make you dopey and sluggish, as far as I can tell. If you have been on smaller vessels, this cruise should be no problem. There will be so much to do that you probably won't have time to think about it. Sharks are a myth and there are huge life jackets in every stateroom. There is nothing to worry about!

01/29/09 Wonder Bahamas; 03/28/09 Magic Caribbean; 12/18/10 Magic Caribbean Holiday ; 09/01/11 Dream Bahamas; 01/19/12 Dream Bahamas; 12/9/12 Wonder EBPC; 4/8/13 Wonder Caribbean; 1/17/14 Magic Bahamas; 5/16/14 Magic Bahamas; 10/11/14 Wonder Caribbean; 12/13/14 Fantasy Caribbean
decked out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #351
ArGa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by decked out View Post
Arlene: I am very prone to motion sickness, but being on a large cruise ship is rarely a problem. The best place to be during rough seas is in bed. I would avoid taking sea sickness medication unless absolutely necessary - they make you dopey and sluggish, as far as I can tell. If you have been on smaller vessels, this cruise should be no problem. There will be so much to do that you probably won't have time to think about it. Sharks are a myth and there are huge life jackets in every stateroom. There is nothing to worry about!
Sharks are a myth?! Huh?!, then what are they filming during shark week on tv? Thanks for all the reassurances and advice everyone.

Arlene
ArGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #352
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It was my DD's birthday on Monday and my DW's on Tuesday. DD was born at 11:59PM as my DW didn't want to share her birthday.
I can't imagine spending my birthday in the hospital, even for as joyous an occasion as childbirth. It always makes me sad to see patients come in to the hospital close to their birthdays, especially if they are very sick.

My DS was born on his fathers birthday, at 12:47am. So while I was pushing, my sister wished my husband Happy Birthday. I don't think anyone else noticed him after that for a couple days
It is a family thing to share birthdays; my FIL, BIL, niece (daughter of BIL) all have the same birthday, as do my twin nephews on my side. DH says he never has to have another birthday gift, since he got the best one ever 5 years ago.
The cruise is sort of a birthday trip for them, departing 5 days after.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #353
skayrobe
Mouseketeer

Seasick

We just finished our first Disney Cruise in October and to my surprise I felt wobbly knees. It was especially notable at the back of the ship (mostly every time we ate at Parrot Cay.) I bought the Seabands that they sell on board and I was just fine. I have ordered the same bands off Amazon for half the price for this cruise. Sherry
skayrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #354
Jeff Spencer
Space & Disney Nut

We've always used Bonine for seasickness. We only take it if the seas are really rough. It has never made me sleepy.

Wonder 15 Night WBPC Cruise May 2014 Web Site

May 2014 - Disney Wonder, 15 Night WBPC
Oct 2013 - Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas
Dec 2012 - Disney Wonder, 14 Night EBPC
May 2010 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
June 2008 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Mexican Riviera
June 2007 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
May 2001 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jeff Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #355
MaryLou1962
LoveMyBoys

Quote:
Sharks are a myth?! Huh?!, then what are they filming during shark week on tv? Thanks for all the reassurances and advice everyone.

Arlene
They're animatronic, of course.
MaryLou1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #356
Relaxin'
Mouseketeer

Hey Arlene,

Rick is prone to motion sickness. That is the reason he buys so much coffee at the Cove. He says it balances off the drowziness of the Gravol. I think it is just an excuse to drink coffee.
March 1977 - first visit to WDW, August 1980 - first visit to Disney Land, May 1981 - WDW, December 1987 - WDW with my DH, July 2003 - Wilderness Lodge first family visit, December 2003 - Cirque du Soleil, December 2007 - Caribbean Beach - NYE in WDW, March 2009 - Wonder 4 day Bahama's, December 2009 - Magic NYE Western cruise, December 2010 - Wonder NYE Eastern cruise, January 2011 - Saratoga Springs - WDW 5K Buzz Lightyear run, December 2011 Dream 3 day Bahama's,Candle Light Processional, MVMCP March 2012 - Fantasy Maiden Voyage Western cruise,December 2012 - East Bound Panama Canal,October 2013 - Dream 3 day and 4 day Bahama's and 10 miler Tower of Terror race, Sept 2014 WBTA Magic,February 2015 Magic Western,September 2015 Wonder - Hawaii
Relaxin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #357
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Good evening Happy Cruisers!

I totally forgot this morning, WHAT a lot to catch up on.

Quote:
. . . Sleeping during these rough seas wasn't so bad as our bed was positioned front to back. I don't know about the inside cabins that are positioned side to side. . .
Actually, that's exactly WHY I only sleep in inside cabins - the little 'side to side' waddle that the ship does played havoc with my brain in an outside cabin witht he bed back to front. With the bed sideways, so I rock head to foot it doesn't bother me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Spencer View Post
We've always used Bonine for seasickness. We only take it if the seas are really rough. It has never made me sleepy.
Bonine! LOVE that stuff! I take it early and often - but for my head not my stomach. After a few days, I don't need it any more. Surprisingly, really rough bothers less than a little choppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952 View Post
I haven't worn a gown in years. And just for the record, I don't wear heels either, but I will do my hair nicely and wear makeup! I'm old enough to do what I want, right?
I'm with you. Done with long dresses AND heels.

Quote:
Dimples (teddybear) can come and stay with you if you're really scared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou1962 View Post
I hear you! On our first (and only other) cruise I could have stocked my own pharmacy I had so many different medications. I was thrilled when shopping at the Cocoa Beach Publix to discover a vast selection of product not available in Canada and bought even more! In the end we didn't use any of it--to my relief. I shall be bringing it all with me again this time--just in case! Actually I'll bring even more since this cruise is twice as long. Just in case.

I also have little twinges of anxiety about the deep, dark ocean. I can't even watch documentaries about the Titanic and movies like The Deep--no way!!!! I found I never even thought of that while on board. And this time I suspect with so many new DIS friends to visit with that these concerns will fade even further.

I deal with nighttime anxiety of the type you mention by taking a sleeping pill. This works like a charm. And has the added benefit of rendering me oblivious to my DH's snoring. He claims that I am the one who snores, but I am sure he is simply mistaken!

ML
That's what I need! Meanwhile, if you have the pharmacy, I have the tool kit - super glue, eyeglass tools, duct tape . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
It totally slipped my mind that my friend/co-worker in the PIT office is from Colombia until she was talking about being home for Christmas. Anyway, she isn't form Cartagena but has been often. She gave some good advice and looked at all the Disney excursions. She said the best overall excursion appears to be the "Best of Cartagena" and she feels the best one for kids is the carriage tour and the best adults only is the Chiva Bus, which she says are awesome and so much fun! She said the beach at Las Americas Hotel is amazing and Rosario Islands are a must see if you are a sea/water loving family. She said she wouldn't suggest a mangrove tour and that the bugs will be horrible on that tour.
Other info:
There is a gold muesum, which she remembers being free and is a "can't miss". She said to have lunch at a Juan del Mar resturant, there are three total and are in the same block or get coffee/have lunch on Plaza Santo Domingo. You can get a carriage for a tour at the Plaza de Bolivar, she said its similar to getting on at central park and you can also get a carriage tour of the modern city. For a beach, Playa Blanca is the best and do not go to Bocagrande beach, this beach is muddy. You must eat coconut rice and fried plantains. She wrote more notes for me but since she was thinking about Colombia, she wrote them in Spainsh, she plans on rewriting them for me tomorrow. Also, she will be in Colombia while we are there and will leave me her contact info for any emergancies. She said if you have any questions for her, she can answer them tomorrow. She wants everyone to give Colombia a fair shot and that it isn't any more dangerous than any other large city in the world.
Exactly. Just use your common sense, is the big thing. don't go down a dark alley alone with a stranger. Or put your purse on the floor by your chair in MacDonalds, Like a tourist in my group did in London. OR leave your wallet under the mattress in the hotel like a hotshot fighter pilot did in Paris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
Sounds like great info. One question...do we need local currency (as I suspect) or will USD be widely accepted? I'm thinking of shops in the old city or restaurants in the area.
Local currency should be available at guest services - and they will buy back the bills you don't spend. You *can* spend dollars in Mexico, but the exchange rate might not be as favorable. Colombia too, but remember you have to think about how to translate the cost of what you're buying. Signs in Colombia will say $xxx - be sure you know whether it really means Dollars or Pesos or whatever their money is.

One of the big caveats is not to change money with some 'guy' who comes up to offer to change money with you. Even the Cambios (money exchange booths) aren't as 'safe' as getting the money on the ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyar View Post
We'll be in San Pedro (Doubletree) but given the time change, we probably won't get out for a M&G that evening.

Is anyone else staying at the Doubletree - do you know how the shuttle works? I'm curious. Thanks!
I'm there too. Thinking of going to Ports of Call for dinner. You sign up for the shuttle when you check in at the hotel.

HAve a good night, all!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #358
socababy
DIS Veteran

I am assuming that DCL transfers will have me to the airport by 10 ish if all goes smoothly. Will I be able to check in at the airport even if my flight isn't until 2? I am already stressed about the flight since the seats I reserved when the flight was booked last Feb are no longer available. I called to verify all the flight ino today only to learn that we didn't have any seat assignments and that they didn't have 4 seats near each other. I don't want my 7 and 9 year old sitting away from me for a nearly 6 hour flight! Hopefully I can swap with some others once at the airport.
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #359
tessa67
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone and Happy Thanksgiving!

I am working the holiday BLAH but someone has to heal the world!

Starting to wrap the Christmas presents, just need to finish picking up stocking stuffers and that will be all done.

Then on to PACKING!!!

Spent some time this evening watching YouTube videos of people missing their ship after a port call. Oh my! Nightmare!
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #360
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbangel View Post
For the women who are dressing up for formal nights - are you doing a full gown on both nights or are you getting more "dressed up" on one night or the other? I have one long gown that I would like to wear and one shorter gown but I can't decide which to wear on what night. People have talked about one night being a Prince and Princess night - which of the formal nights is that? Might make more sense to wear the long gown that night...
I have floor length dresses for both formal nights. One is a straight dress and the other has a bit of a ball gown bottom - tho not especially poofy. I have a shorter dress for semi-formal night. I *think* the Prince and Princess night is the second of the formal nights and I'll be wearing my fuller dress that night.

But, as other have said - do what you want! Decide on the night if you feel like wearing one over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Spencer View Post
I've also read that if you actually start taking your motion sickness meds a couple of days before getting on the ship, you'll have an easier time acclimating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socababy View Post
I am assuming that DCL transfers will have me to the airport by 10 ish if all goes smoothly. Will I be able to check in at the airport even if my flight isn't until 2? I am already stressed about the flight since the seats I reserved when the flight was booked last Feb are no longer available. I called to verify all the flight ino today only to learn that we didn't have any seat assignments and that they didn't have 4 seats near each other. I don't want my 7 and 9 year old sitting away from me for a nearly 6 hour flight! Hopefully I can swap with some others once at the airport.
In the past, most airlines wouldn't check you in for a domestic flight any more than 4 hours before flight time. Not sure if that's still what they're going by but, even so, you'd be in that window and I would assume you'd be fine. You could double check with your particular airline if you wanted to be sure they'll check you in once you reach the counter to make changes.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: