Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #151
JessicasMom
Working to Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogue View Post
Wow you guys have been busy.... Our cruise plans gave been out on hold. If you remember I was using crutches due to hip pain. Well it turns out I had a stress fracture in my femur . This morning I fell in the shower and fractured it. Having surgery today, but dr says I can't fly . I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't go
And we will all be disappointed, too! I hope all goes well with surgery and you can figure out alternate transportation, if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952 View Post
Sorry I have been missing in action for a few days. A "knitting emergency" broke out...my favorite niece is having her first baby, the shower is the day we leave for LA (no, I'm not going to the shower). My SIL suggested that, since I made beautiful afghans for each of her children (and they still have them!), perhaps I could find the time? Well, I've been knitting my poor fingers off, and it's 3/4s finished. I have to get it in the mail no later than Thanksgiving weekend! I'd like to have it finished by Friday, and then I can mail it early next week. I also want to find a copy of "The Poky Little Puppy". It was DH's favorite story as a child, and we've given a copy to every baby born in the family for 37 years!
What a nice tradition...and impressive knitting skills .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Can't your lawyer do the papers for you? Let her FAX them to you and she can represent you at the close.
Exactly what I was thinking. When my husband bought our home (prior to "us", 34 yrs ago), he was traveling for long periods and had an attorney handle the closing for him. I think it was just a matter of giving him limited POA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socababy View Post
I wish that was guaranteed! I'm still waiting. I, for one, would like to go back to 25. Such a simpler, happier time. College was done, my husband was still here and I wasn't raising kids alone. I became widowed at 31... so far 30's suck!

Regarding birthdays...I don't celebrate my own but I do celebrate my kids, although for me their birthdays are truly bittersweet now. It's hard not to focus on what their dad has missed out on and they truly show just how much time has passed. For them though, they are just kids and like most kids, LOVE their birthdays. Kid's parties can get really out of hand financially and I don't want to fall into that x 3. So my kids get parties every other year.
Sometimes, life just sucks, no matter what age you are . Feel free to vent as much as you need to .
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #152
ChipperMerlin
Mouseketeer

For Emily

This is your birthday song...
It isn't very long...
YAY!

I love birthdays ... But then, I'm only 6 years old. I picked an age and am sticking with it! It's also my favorite age in the A A Milne poem "Now I Am Six."

And you could also have lots of Merry Unbirthdays, too.
Disneyland — January 1960 — & many, many, many times since ~~~ WDW — June 1975 — honeymoon & many times since ~~~ Disneyland Paris — January & July 2003 ~~~ Tokyo Disneyland — April 2005 ~~~ Grand Opening of Hong Kong Disneyland — September 2005 ~~~ Renaissance Cruise Line: 2; Carnival Cruise Line: 1 ~~~ 1st Disney Cruise — November 2004 (DH won 3-day Bahamas cruise at DCa by answering the million point question at "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" ~~~ DCL Eastern Caribbean — November 2007 ~~~ DCL Western Caribbean — October 2008 ~~~ DCL 4-day Bahamas — October 18, 2009 ~~~ DCL's DVC Member Cruise — September 2010 ~~~ DCL Panama Canal — January 6, 2011 ~~~ DCL 3-day Bahamas — September 29, 2011 ~~~ DCL 4-day Bahamas — October 2, 2011 ~~~ DCL 3-day Bahamas — October 6, 2011 ~~~ DCL Mexican Riviera — December 11, 2011 ~~~ DCL California Coast Repo — May 14, 2012 ~~~ DCL Pixar Cruise — October 7, 2012 ~~~ DCL Panama Canal — December 9, 2012 ~~~ DCL Halloween Cruise — October 27, 2013 ~~~ DCL 4-day Bahamas — November 10, 2013 ~~~ DCL Alaska — September 1, 2014 ~~~ DCL California Coast Repo — September 8, 2014 ~~~ DCL Panama Canal — September 12, 2014 ~~~ DVC members since 2008 ~~~ Premier Pass Holders for DL & WDW
ChipperMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #153
ChipperMerlin
Mouseketeer

For Tammy

So sorry to hear about your fall. Hope the surgery went well and that you will be up and about in time for the cruise. Wishing you a very speedy recovery!
Disneyland — January 1960 — & many, many, many times since ~~~ WDW — June 1975 — honeymoon & many times since ~~~ Disneyland Paris — January & July 2003 ~~~ Tokyo Disneyland — April 2005 ~~~ Grand Opening of Hong Kong Disneyland — September 2005 ~~~ Renaissance Cruise Line: 2; Carnival Cruise Line: 1 ~~~ 1st Disney Cruise — November 2004 (DH won 3-day Bahamas cruise at DCa by answering the million point question at "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" ~~~ DCL Eastern Caribbean — November 2007 ~~~ DCL Western Caribbean — October 2008 ~~~ DCL 4-day Bahamas — October 18, 2009 ~~~ DCL's DVC Member Cruise — September 2010 ~~~ DCL Panama Canal — January 6, 2011 ~~~ DCL 3-day Bahamas — September 29, 2011 ~~~ DCL 4-day Bahamas — October 2, 2011 ~~~ DCL 3-day Bahamas — October 6, 2011 ~~~ DCL Mexican Riviera — December 11, 2011 ~~~ DCL California Coast Repo — May 14, 2012 ~~~ DCL Pixar Cruise — October 7, 2012 ~~~ DCL Panama Canal — December 9, 2012 ~~~ DCL Halloween Cruise — October 27, 2013 ~~~ DCL 4-day Bahamas — November 10, 2013 ~~~ DCL Alaska — September 1, 2014 ~~~ DCL California Coast Repo — September 8, 2014 ~~~ DCL Panama Canal — September 12, 2014 ~~~ DVC members since 2008 ~~~ Premier Pass Holders for DL & WDW
ChipperMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #154
Nat Tucker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGa
I still haven't received my cruise documents and I haven't heard from my TA about them either. Should I be worried? I checked the DCL site last night and we still haven't been assigned a room yet. We booked a GTY so I realize that we might not find out yet. However, my dad booked the same deal as us, months after us and when I checked his reservation, he has been assigned a room on Deck 5. What's up with that?

Also, I see lots of people making plans to travel together from the Miami port to the Fort Lauderdale Airport, what about those of you who are flying out of Miami? We are flying out of MIA at 1:25 pm. Will there be transportation available at the port, as in a taxi, or do I need to make arrangements with a shuttle company? Anyone know how far it is from the port to the airport?
We're leaving out of Miami. Not sure how far but I booked the Disney transfers for $20 pp. I think our flight back to Baltimore is after 1 as well.

• Wonder Eastbound Panama Canal December 2012
  • Dream DVC Member Cruise Bahamas September 2012
  • Dream Bahamas April 2012
  • Magic Eastern Caribbean October 2011
  • Wonder Bahamas December 2010
Proud DVC Member since 2011 | Home Resort: Saratoga Springs
Nat Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #155
Land Park Tudor
- - -

Quote:
Wow you guys have been busy.... Our cruise plans gave been out on hold. If you remember I was using crutches due to hip pain. Well it turns out I had a stress fracture in my femur . This morning I fell in the shower and fractured it. Having surgery today, but dr says I can't fly . I'm going to be so disappointed if I can't go
I, too, am sending positive thoughts your way -- I hope you recover quickly enough so that you can make it!
Land Park Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #156
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
For them though, they are just kids and like most kids, LOVE their birthdays. Kid's parties can get really out of hand financially and I don't want to fall into that x 3. So my kids get parties every other year.

I love this idea of parties every other year. Last year, we did the Chuck-e-cheese thing, but we only had the minimum number of kids, the rest adults and young teens, so it wasn't much more than $100 total. This year, I figured the cruise was his birthday party, and we would do our traditional restaurant dinners during the week before we depart (Benihana and Red Robin for the free meals)
By getting DS used to an EOY party at his young age, we can give him bigger ones when they do happen and not feel so overwhelmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise View Post
It's less than 10 miles from the port to MIA. Disney is offering transfers for $20/person. According to the Port of Miami website (http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/p...sportation.asp), there should be taxis waiting there and the fare to the airport is a flat fee of $24. So it seems like that would be the cheaper option for two people.
Thanks for that info. I am still trying to figure out the cheapest/least difficult way to get a rental car to return to FLL on Monday late morning. Will check rentals from MIA-FLL.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 AM   #157
Jeff Spencer
Space & Disney Nut

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your fall. Wishing you a speedy recovery too!

Wonder 15 Night WBPC Cruise May 2014 Web Site

May 2014 - Disney Wonder, 15 Night WBPC
Oct 2013 - Disney Dream, 4 Night Bahamas
Dec 2012 - Disney Wonder, 14 Night EBPC
May 2010 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
June 2008 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Mexican Riviera
June 2007 - Disney Magic, 11 Night Med
May 2001 - Disney Magic, 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
Jeff Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #158
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Happy Global Health & Safety Day!

Well at least it is at my company but as I am sending out my office's email, I thought I would remind everyone as well. Health & Safety needs and deserves our full attention every day in everything that we do. So be careful everyone, we don't want anymore injuries leading up to the cruise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
I know, I'll ADOPT you!
Overnights in the dump? IS THAT SAFE, young lady?????
Well since you sound like my mother, I would say you already have adopted me! And don't worry, since we already established that I am a Republician, I will be packin some heat. Haha J/k, I have only held a gun once but don't worry, the Army is with me onsite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Arjay View Post
John and I will be volunteering at the half and full Disney Marathons in January, as we have annually for about 5 years. We will be checking the runners' bags. If you are running it, come say hello!
Emily - happy birthday, but I feel the same as you about the celebrations. Enjoy the landfill! I think that would be quite interesting.
Liz
Just think, we might have run into each other at last year's marathon, maybe you took my bag! The landfill is actually interesting, I am not complaining about the work. I am very thankful that the debris I am checking is not coming from my house!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
I work overnights, so if you are bored and able to log on, we can chat. I often stay logged on and check periodically during my shift. I know it is morning on the East Coast when Lindababe signs on for her morning hello. That is also my warning to get all my work done before the morning staff start showing up.
I have an aircard so we can chat all night! As long as we both get our work done! What do you do that has you working overnight?
Quote:
I wish that was guaranteed! I'm still waiting. I, for one, would like to go back to 25. Such a simpler, happier time. College was done, my husband was still here and I wasn't raising kids alone. I became widowed at 31... so far 30's suck!
Here's to hoping your 30's improve and that the start of your 40's will make up for the horrible start to your 30's. 25 started off the best and ended the worst and was my worst year ever. I would like to go back to 23. I was still in college but knew I would graduate with an engineering degree, had a job that I loved and didn't care about the horrible pay, not having money wasn't an issue to me then, I had the world's crappiest apartment but I was so happy and surrounded by friends who lived close by and not scattered all over the country and was in great shape. I really didn't have any major worries and I made it to every home WVU football and basketball game!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArGa View Post
Happy Birthday Emily. Back (way back), when I turned 30, my husband planned a surprise party for me. However, that day my daughter came down with the stomach flu and spent the day throwing up so the party was cancelled. I got to spend my 30th bday cleaning up vomit so I'd say your day is going better than mine did. Besides, who wants just a one day celebration when we can all have 14 days of celebrations on the Wonder
So true, I love how everyone always puts things into perspective for me. DH made me a nice dinner with homemade crab cakes and lobster bisque. It was sweet. My sister's now ex-husband threw her a huge black tie "Hollywood" Themed 30th birthday party and well, that marriage didn't last so...I'll happily eat my crabcakes .
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #159
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

GOOD Morning, Happy Cruisers!

DTHogue, sure hope your surgery went well and you are on the mend.

Socababy, Someday, the sun *will* shine for you again. "Just keep swimming."

WVURunner, PLEASE be extra careful at the dump tonight.

Another round of my favorite activity this morning - shopping - NOT. Hoping to bag a LBD.

There was frost on the pumpkin this morning, but the sun is shining, and for that, I am thankful.

Happy Day, all!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #160
socababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Tucker View Post
We're leaving out of Miami. Not sure how far but I booked the Disney transfers for $20 pp. I think our flight back to Baltimore is after 1 as well.
We are leaving out of Miami as well and we are also taking Disney transfers. I have a feeling we will have a few hours at the airport to kill before our 1:40 flight.

For those who have used the onboard flight check in, I have a couple questions. Does DCL actually check you in for your flight or do you still have to do that on your own? I know they collect your luggage the night before and then you don't see it again until you get to your home airport but what about customs? I thought you had to be with your luggage when you go through customs in Miami?
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #161
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I am still trying to figure out the cheapest/least difficult way to get a rental car to return to FLL on Monday late morning. Will check rentals from MIA-FLL.
This summer we wented a car from Budget after our cruise got back into the Miami terminal...had to take a cab to the Budget office (about $12) but we used the Westjet code I found on the DIS budget board and we only paid $42 for the car (intermediate and that included taxes). We had a early evening flight back out of FLL, so we were able to go and have lunch and look around a little while before heading to the airport. If you are interested in that code let me know and I'll try to find out what it is again.
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #162
DindelsPA
Pour the clown juice in my dirty banana
Has disturbing images of groundhogs

Quote:
We are leaving out of Miami as well and we are also taking Disney transfers. I have a feeling we will have a few hours at the airport to kill before our 1:40 flight.

For those who have used the onboard flight check in, I have a couple questions. Does DCL actually check you in for your flight or do you still have to do that on your own? I know they collect your luggage the night before and then you don't see it again until you get to your home airport but what about customs? I thought you had to be with your luggage when you go through customs in Miami?
Unless they changed it, DCL will check you in for your flight, tag your bags and leave boarding passes in your stateroom for you. I think you are briefly reunited with your luggage for customs as well, but I cannot remember for the life of me.
Western Double Dip, November 12-19, 2011 Canada, September 7-12, 2012
Disney Dream: Bahamas, August 11-15, 2013 Bahamas, November 10-14, 2013

DindelsPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #163
mug318ca
Mouseketeer since 1964

Again, unless they changed it, the last time we used this service the luggage was placed outside our cabin door the last night of the cruise and we didn't see it again until after we landed in LA.

I'm a bit bummed this time as we are using the service again but cannot take advantage of the luggage service since our flight leaves at 1PM from MIA and the cutoff is 1:31PM.
mug318ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #164
socababy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DindelsPA View Post
Unless they changed it, DCL will check you in for your flight, tag your bags and leave boarding passes in your stateroom for you. I think you are briefly reunited with your luggage for customs as well, but I cannot remember for the life of me.
Fingers crossed that it goes exactly like this! I like simplicity and even better, I like things being done for me, especially on vacation!
MAGIC July 2014 Med, Aug 2015 Dover to Barcelona, Aug 2015 Med
socababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #165
Travelbee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicasMom View Post
Sometimes, life just sucks, no matter what age you are . Feel free to vent as much as you need to .
Well put.

Quote:
I love this idea of parties every other year. Last year, we did the Chuck-e-cheese thing, but we only had the minimum number of kids, the rest adults and young teens, so it wasn't much more than $100 total. This year, I figured the cruise was his birthday party, and we would do our traditional restaurant dinners during the week before we depart (Benihana and Red Robin for the free meals)
By getting DS used to an EOY party at his young age, we can give him bigger ones when they do happen and not feel so overwhelmed.

Next year and thereafter her birthdays will be low key sleepovers with a few close friends. One reason our tab ran so high was because some parents stayed and we paid for their laser tag games, food, and beer too.

We are doing exactly what dededisney is doing - taking a cab from the port to Budget, renting a car for the day, and dropping off at FLL Monday morning. We used a coupon from retailmenot and the 1-day rental for a full size car was $46 with taxes included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVURunner View Post
Well Happy Birthday to your sister! You know what 9 months from today is, right? Valentine's Day! Lucky for me, I was born a few weeks early so I wasn't a Valentine's Day baby! If your sister is anything like my sister, we are complete opposites!
Your stories about booking her airfares, making her FE gifts, etc. mirrored my experience on our Alaska cruise this summer. Funny I'm also the engineer in the family - I'd like to think we'd just more grounded!

April 19, 2014: 7-Day Eastern Caribbean Disney Fantasy
June 15, 2013: 12-Day Mediterranean with Greece & Turkey Disney Magic
December 9, 2012: 14-Day Panama Canal Disney Wonder
July 2, 2012: 7-Day Alaska Disney Wonder
April 17, 2011: 10-Day Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder
May 15, 2010: 11-Day Mediterranean Disney Magic
November 14, 2009: Double Dip Delight (7-day Western Disney Magic)
April 26, 2008: 7-Day Eastern Disney Magic
May 17, 2007: 3-Day Bahama Disney Wonder
Travelbee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: