Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
Did you book the ziplining excursion through DCL, or independently? We would love to take our 9yo DD (who has been ziplining near where we live), but she doesn't meet the minimum weight requirement. I don't want to try to get around a requirement if it's a real safety issue, but I think she'd have a blast!
No, we booked via DCL, and that might be the only way you can do it via this company. If there are other ziplining companies I don't know about them and can't comment.

The minimum weight is pretty important...smaller folks don't build up enough momentum to get to the other side.
Moxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom View Post
we are scheduled to do the zipline excursion next week so I'm thrilled to see your positive review. We saw John Charles on our magic cruise in June and he was very funny. I hope he and the ventriloquist are on our cruise.
Some suggestions...

Bring a backpack with 2 bottles of water for each person doing the excursion. I cannot begin to tell you how hot and humid it is in the jungle there. I literally was soaked in sweat from head to toe halfway through. We bought 2 bottles of water and ran out halfway through.

Wear clothes you're ok with getting dirty.

Wear comfortable shoes with good grip...hiking boots or KEAN waterproof sandals (that's what I used, and the guides had them too). Also, the first part of the excursion is on kayaks, and your butt WILL get wet. One guy fell in the water on our trip.

Bring tips for the guides as well. I think they all share in the tips, as there are about 6 of them, I just gave one guy a $20, but others gave much less. I also gave the bus driver a few dollars.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #18
maw5089
Earning My Ears

Did you bring backpacks on this excursion? I want to bring my nice camera because would be a great picture opportunity but would not want it to get banged around or wet? Maybe bringing the smaller digital camera would be a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Was the trip from the boat to the excursion long? I hope it is not sold out for our cruise once I have an opportunity to book
maw5089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
Some suggestions...

Bring a backpack with 2 bottles of water for each person doing the excursion. I cannot begin to tell you how hot and humid it is in the jungle there. I literally was soaked in sweat from head to toe halfway through. We bought 2 bottles of water and ran out halfway through.

Wear clothes you're ok with getting dirty.

Wear comfortable shoes with good grip...hiking boots or KEAN waterproof sandals (that's what I used, and the guides had them too). Also, the first part of the excursion is on kayaks, and your butt WILL get wet. One guy fell in the water on our trip.

Bring tips for the guides as well. I think they all share in the tips, as there are about 6 of them, I just gave one guy a $20, but others gave much less. I also gave the bus driver a few dollars.
Thanks so much for the review! We have the Campo Rico ziplining booked thru DCL for our upcoming cruise. I'm nervous, but DH and DS are excited. Great tips about the water and footwear. So what were the hanging bridges like to cross?
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maw5089 View Post
Did you bring backpacks on this excursion? I want to bring my nice camera because would be a great picture opportunity but would not want it to get banged around or wet? Maybe bringing the smaller digital camera would be a better idea.

Any thoughts?

Was the trip from the boat to the excursion long? I hope it is not sold out for our cruise once I have an opportunity to book
I think the smaller digital camera would be a better option, but that's up to you. I did bring a backpack, and was happy I did. Held the water and our personal items instead of our pockets where they would have been soaked. Good to carry water as well.

It was about a 35 minute drive in the bus from the boat...not bad at all.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDisneyLover View Post
Thanks so much for the review! We have the Campo Rico ziplining booked thru DCL for our upcoming cruise. I'm nervous, but DH and DS are excited. Great tips about the water and footwear. So what were the hanging bridges like to cross?
Let me see if I can post some pics here...

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #22
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Wow, awesome pics! Looks like a very cool experience!
*Disney Wonder 2010
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Canadiancruiser2
Mouseketeer

dining rotation

Could you please clarify when is formal night? I was getting different info from DCL reps as to when formal night was. Which dining rotation did you have and can you comment which is better for the Eastern itinerary... RAERAER, AERAERA or ERAERAE ?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #24
maw5089
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin

I think the smaller digital camera would be a better option, but that's up to you. I did bring a backpack, and was happy I did. Held the water and our personal items instead of our pockets where they would have been soaked. Good to carry water as well.

It was about a 35 minute drive in the bus from the boat...not bad at all.
Did your backpack get wet at all kayaking? That is what I'm worried about but if only that one person got wet because he flipped over maybe it was kind of a freak thing.

How was the lunch afterwards?

What time was the excursion offered? I thought I read something about morning and afternoon times but I could be wrong. I can't see yet because my window did not open. What time were you back on the ship?

Thanks so much!
maw5089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #25
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancruiser2 View Post
Could you please clarify when is formal night? I was getting different info from DCL reps as to when formal night was. Which dining rotation did you have and can you comment which is better for the Eastern itinerary... RAERAER, AERAERA or ERAERAE ?

Thanks
Formal night for us was Sunday, and I'd imagine that sticks.

All three restaurants are nice, but Animators is awesome, especially if you're near a screen to interact with Crush, so if your rotation includes 3 visits there, you'd be well off.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maw5089 View Post
Did your backpack get wet at all kayaking? That is what I'm worried about but if only that one person got wet because he flipped over maybe it was kind of a freak thing.

How was the lunch afterwards?

What time was the excursion offered? I thought I read something about morning and afternoon times but I could be wrong. I can't see yet because my window did not open. What time were you back on the ship?

Thanks so much!
No, the backpack stayed dry, other than getting wet from sweat. Yeah, that one guy just slipped getting out of his kayak is all.

Lunch was just ok...rice, chicken, beans, salad, pineapple, and free water. Beer and soda's are $2.

We left the ship at 9:45 and were back at 2. I am pretty sure it was only 1 time for the excursion. Maybe they added a second one?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No, the backpack stayed dry, other than getting wet from sweat. Yeah, that one guy just slipped getting out of his kayak is all.

Lunch was just ok...rice, chicken, beans, salad, pineapple, and free water. Beer and soda's are $2.

We left the ship at 9:45 and were back at 2. I am pretty sure it was only 1 time for the excursion. Maybe they added a second one?
We were offered two times, 7:45 and 9:45 I believe. We decided on the earlier time so we would have time to visit Old San Juan after the excursion. I was a bit surprised at the earlier time, as I didn't know we could get off the ship that early. Is Old San Juan within walking distance of the ship? What is withing walking distance? Thanks!
*Disney Wonder 2010
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDisneyLover View Post
We were offered two times, 7:45 and 9:45 I believe. We decided on the earlier time so we would have time to visit Old San Juan after the excursion. I was a bit surprised at the earlier time, as I didn't know we could get off the ship that early. Is Old San Juan within walking distance of the ship? What is withing walking distance? Thanks!
I found it odd they offered two times, as there's only 1 group going...1 excursion.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
gaporee
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The shows left something to be desired though, in particular the opening show and Wishes. I get that Disney wants to appeal to the teens in the world, but doing it on a cruise ship in which teens, especially at the shows, are the lowest represented demographics is not the smartest idea in the world. The musical numbers from the movies was a nice break from the storyline, which only really appealed to high schoolers. The opening show also focused on a teen learning about how cool the Disney cruise was.

Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy being 42, but I was hoping for better in the show category.

!
Yes to this! Honestly, I'm surprised when I read that DCL entertainment is considered by many as "second to none'. I remember telling my DH during Wishes that I feel like they are insulting our intelligence. DH commented back that he felt like it was high school level theatre.

Out of all the shows we enjoyed seeing "Genie" the most.

And perhaps I'm an old 'fuddy duddy' at 37!

All Star Movies January 2011
Pop Century October 2011
Disney Fantasy "Hurricane Sandy cruise" October 2012
Pop Century/ Disney World October 2013 before our cruise
Disney Fantasy October 2013
DCL Fantasy Oct 2014
Oasis -- October 2015
gaporee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #30
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaporee View Post
Yes to this! Honestly, I'm surprised when I read that DCL entertainment is considered by many as "second to none'. I remember telling my DH during Wishes that I feel like they are insulting our intelligence. DH commented back that he felt like it was high school level theatre.

Out of all the shows we enjoyed seeing "Genie" the most.

And perhaps I'm an old 'fuddy duddy' at 37!
I think you nailed it. The "storyline" part of the show was exactly that...high school theater about high school kids. I really hope they reassess the shows on Fantasy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: