Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
I'm seriously considering the White Pass directly through Chilkoot Tours--did you do the one that includes the puppies or the one that also includes the dog kart ride? What were your thoughts on that part and the "town"?
We also used Chilkoot Tours. We did the bus into the Yukon and rode the train back down. You could add on the dog kart ride if you want. There were puppies at the place that you could hold, but sounded like it was all depending on if there was a litter recently. The place for the dog cart ride was very cheesy and touristy...aka built for the sole purpose of tour groups. The lunch was decent, nothing special but served its purpose. We thought we were there for way too long. From what we heard it didnt sound like anyone was super inpressed with the dog kart. Remember its not on snow...just on a dirt/mud track and it can be muddy based on the weather.

Everything else about the tour was great and beautiful and the guide was good too.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
We also used Chilkoot Tours. We did the bus into the Yukon and rode the train back down. You could add on the dog kart ride if you want. There were puppies at the place that you could hold, but sounded like it was all depending on if there was a litter recently. The place for the dog cart ride was very cheesy and touristy...aka built for the sole purpose of tour groups. The lunch was decent, nothing special but served its purpose. We thought we were there for way too long. From what we heard it didnt sound like anyone was super inpressed with the dog kart. Remember its not on snow...just on a dirt/mud track and it can be muddy based on the weather.

Everything else about the tour was great and beautiful and the guide was good too.
Thanks for the feedback! Approx. how much did it cost and do you think it was worth it?
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Approx. how much did it cost and do you think it was worth it?
Can't remember the exact cost...but google Chilkoot Charters and tours...thier prices are on thier website.

DCL did the same exact excursion, just using a larger company, and charged about 30 dollars more.

Personally I thought it was very worth it. The train is the big part of the cost, which was really fun and great sites. They make quite a few photo stops, and if there is something you want to stop at that you see, ask the guide and they will try to accomadate. Our guide was great, he was a local. He lives winters in bigger city in Alaska and spends summer in skagway as a tour guide.

It was nice since it was a small tour...we had like 12 people tops. They use the 17 passenger vans.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
In Juneau, we did the whale watching and glacier. The good part was that my daughter got to see everything on her list, including a mother bear with 2 cubs (ok, her list just said bear). It was actually our second bear experience, but the first was from a bus--the bear was walking along the road!

In retrospect, helicopter to the glacier would be totally amazing, but we really wanted the whale watching.

Shore Tours had most of the same excursions that the cruise line offered at about 30% savings. The only thing we couldn't get thru them was the zip line in Victoria because the ship had purchased all the available slots.
This is funny! We did the helicopter to glacier but when we returned so many people asked if we saw any whales. I kind of regretted that we didn't get to see much wildlife. Mostly bald eagles but no bears or whales.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgasink View Post
1. Book Harv and Marv to go whale watching...

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

and then a helicopter flight to Mendenhall Glacier

John Gasink
I wish we could have squeezed in 2 excursions in Juneau. The sailings from Seattle left very limited times in port.
For Juneau it was around 6:30am - 1pm IIRC. The helicopter didn't finish until around 10:30 and I was afraid to schedule 2 excursions very close just in case one should run late.
There's always 'next time.'
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #21
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
This is funny! We did the helicopter to glacier but when we returned so many people asked if we saw any whales. I kind of regretted that we didn't get to see much wildlife. Mostly bald eagles but no bears or whales.
You mean I made the right choice? It is so easy to second guess yourself on these things.

If you want a "cheapie," in Ketchikan, the cruise line was charging $69 for Totem Bite State Park. I'm not sure what else they had tied into that....we took the public bus (very easy) for $1 per person each way. The entrance to the park is free, and there are multiple guides giving tours. There is also a had out discussing each totem pole. After the tour, you have the option of going into a shop. I think the only difference was that the tour group got cookies and hot chocolate in the shop. Also, if your daughter forgot something absolutely essential, the Walmart in Ketchikan offers a free shuttle to/from the store. We just got off the town bus early, grabbed what she needed, and took the shuttle back to the port. TONS of crew shopping and shuttling.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We rented a Juneau limo in Juneau.
We only rented for 4 hours but wished we had booked longer.

Here is what we did

Driver picked us up at ship
driving tour of city. She explained landmarks, building and interesting facts about city.

Panning for gold ( they provide equipment)

Menenhall Glacier Park- the driver told us how to hike to the falls, where to see bears, etc We saw more bears than we could count.

Many scenic photo stops.

Panning for gold again since the kids really enjoyed it.

There is candy and drinks in the limo. The kids felt like rock stars driving around in the limo.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
KingRichard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
We rented a Juneau limo in Juneau.
We only rented for 4 hours but wished we had booked longer.

Here is what we did

Driver picked us up at ship
driving tour of city. She explained landmarks, building and interesting facts about city.

Panning for gold ( they provide equipment)

Menenhall Glacier Park- the driver told us how to hike to the falls, where to see bears, etc We saw more bears than we could count.

Many scenic photo stops.

Panning for gold again since the kids really enjoyed it.

There is candy and drinks in the limo. The kids felt like rock stars driving around in the limo.
Do you remember the app. cost?

Thanks.

GRAND SLAM COMPLETE! Feb. 11 Dream, April 12 Wonder(Hawaii), Feb. 13 Fantasy, Feb. 14 Magic, June 14 Wonder(Alaska) 36 NOB
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
Can't remember the exact cost...but google Chilkoot Charters and tours...thier prices are on thier website.

DCL did the same exact excursion, just using a larger company, and charged about 30 dollars more.

Personally I thought it was very worth it. The train is the big part of the cost, which was really fun and great sites. They make quite a few photo stops, and if there is something you want to stop at that you see, ask the guide and they will try to accomadate. Our guide was great, he was a local. He lives winters in bigger city in Alaska and spends summer in skagway as a tour guide.

It was nice since it was a small tour...we had like 12 people tops. They use the 17 passenger vans.
The prices are not listed on Chilkoot Charters' web site (http://www.chilkootcharters.com/), so you need to phone or e-mail them, or find someone who has posted the excursion prices at Cruise Critic. I've taken Chilkoot Charters' Yukon Rail & Bus excursion twice (excellent excursion!), although both times I originally booked the Bennett Scenic Journey. Both times the tracks between Frasier and Bennett were washed out before we arrived, so we substituted the shorter excursion. If I go to Skagway again, I may give the excursion with the train to Carcross one more try. Hopefully the tracks won't be washed out a third time!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #25
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRichard View Post
Do you remember the app. cost?

Thanks.
It was about $500 including tip

EtA:
We had the 6 person limo for the four of us. It was a little more than the sedan. But, the kids loved it. The cost was based on the car , not how many people were in the car.

http://www.juneaulimo.com
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #26
LemonPie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prose View Post
In Juneau we did the Taku Lodge Flight and Feast. You fly in small planes over glaciers and land on the Taku River, then have an amazing salmon feast at a lodge. It was the highlight of our cruise.
Did you see bears? We are planning on this tour and really would like to see bears since we will do this instead of whale watching. I have found it is cheaper to book this direct than to go through DCL.
LemonPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
poohgirl71
always planning my next trip!

Harv and Marv's

I second that recommendation, I also sent you a PM about it
There really are no words to describe what an incredible experience it was....
poohgirl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all the great information!!!
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
Prose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonPie View Post
Did you see bears? We are planning on this tour and really would like to see bears since we will do this instead of whale watching. I have found it is cheaper to book this direct than to go through DCL.
Absolutely we saw bears! In fact, a bear the staff called "Lois" hung out at the edge of the woods, waiting for us to go inside...

this is how close she was (that's my daughter in the foreground)....

As soon as we went inside, Lois hopped up to pick the grill clean of tasty salmon bits....

And of course the view from the lodge was amazing....

Disney Cruise on the WONDER March '08
WONDER cruise to Alaska June '11
Awesome trip to WDW October 2012 MNSSHP
Sailed the Eastern on the Fantasy 10/19/13
Sailed the Western on the Fantasy 10/11/14
Prose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
tink,too
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying all the recommendations everyone is making here. There is so many wonderful tours on offer it's really hard to choose!

So far, we've reserved a whale watching trip in Juneau - not through Harv and Marv though as they don't take children under 13 years old. However, we have managed to book another private boat that comes highly recommended for just our family.

My DH wants to go fishing in Ketchikan and our DD wants to try the Disney exclusive tour to Potlatch Park because they have a special activity for just the children. Her other request is to meet lots of husky puppies!

I'm hoping to fit in a float plane trip to the Misty Fjords as well.
tink,too is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: