Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Veterans Day

Just wanted to recognize Veterans Day and all that served.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
AceDodger
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Thanks to all our veterans for their service!
AceDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

It was a privilege to have served; God bless all my brothers and sisters in arms.

A special word of thanks to our families as well. I know it wasn't easy for my husband, who put his own life and career second to mine for the 24 years I was in the Air Force.

I've eaten at 66 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (27%)
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I'm just curious do they have a moment of silence at 11:00 Am, like we do here in Canada?

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
I'm just curious do they have a moment of silence at 11:00 Am, like we do here in Canada?
I think it depends on the event or part of the country. Some Veterans Day activities include a moment of silence while others do not. It's not something that is done together as a country though which I think is a shame.

My father was in both the Navy and Marines.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
There isn't a general observation like that here in the USA. In some organized events there will be but in most 11:00 am passes without notice. Many people here don't even realize why Veterans Day is on the 11/11, leave alone the 11th hour. When I was growing up Veterans Day moved from being observed on 11/11 to the second Monday in November (to give a 3-day weekend) and only moved back to 11/11 after quite a bit of pressure. I know that many states don't observe Veterans Day as a holiday and many schools around the country do not get the day off.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I think it depends on the event or part of the country. Some Veterans Day activities include a moment of silence while others do not. It's not something that is done together as a country though which I think is a shame.

My father was in both the Navy and Marines.
I think when you have a link to it, it somehow seems different. For example My Dad's Father served in the Canadian Navy and my Mum's Dad was in the British Navy during WWII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
There isn't a general observation like that here in the USA. In some organized events there will be but in most 11:00 am passes without notice. Many people here don't even realize why Veterans Day is on the 11/11, leave alone the 11th hour. When I was growing up Veterans Day moved from being observed on 11/11 to the second Monday in November (to give a 3-day weekend) and only moved back to 11/11 after quite a bit of pressure. I know that many states don't observe Veterans Day as a holiday and many schools around the country do not get the day off.
That's sounds almost shameful to me. I know here in Ontario, Canada, it's only a holiday for the government, but schools and everything else is still open. In fact the Royal Canadian Legion actually encourages the fact that it is not a day off from school they want people to learn what there sacrifice was for "last We Forget"!

n Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Thank you to all our service men and women, and their families for keeping our country safe. I appreciate all you do and all you have to sacrafice to make our country a safer place. Hurrah!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: