Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Question Pets?

We are approaching DH's retirement. We are DVC owners, and last year I spent January using DVC points, DH still was working, and will be through April this year, and I missed my dog so much. This January I cut my DVC stay by a week. DH will still be home with Belle. We had always thought we would use our DVC points to stay in WDW & Vero Beach for 6 weeks every winter. However, after last year's experience, we have decided to look for other options for 6 weeks in winter.

If we could rent an RV unit that allows pets, are the pet permitted areas in FW very hard to rent in January? Staying at Disney with our pet would be ideal, but if it would be next to impossible, we will begin to look for other options for January 2014.

Bobbi
Old 11-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

There are plenty of pet friendly sites at FW. The tougher part will be finding a pet friendly rental unit. I'd say for 6 weeks, some will do it with a pet deposit.

What kind of rental do you want?

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

There are some RV rental companies that will rent for pets too - may be an extra fee though, not sure.

As for the FW sites with pets, the largest majority of loops are pet loops, with an extra fee per day.

Last edited by North of Mouse; 11-11-2012 at 03:21 PM.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

Thank you both. So, getting a site is an option. I've a relative planning to buy a suitable RV and will be discussing this with her!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
MIannie
Mouseketeer

pets

I made a reservation last week for a site in January for our motorhome with cat, and had my pick of days, so it can't be that hard. We are also DVC , and my husband retired at the end of Sept. We have all these points, but don't want to board the cat for long times, so we bought the RV. Not the best use of points, but at least we'll be at WDW.
MIannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
We are approaching DH's retirement. We are DVC owners, and last year I spent January using DVC points, DH still was working, and will be through April this year, and I missed my dog so much. This January I cut my DVC stay by a week. DH will still be home with Belle. We had always thought we would use our DVC points to stay in WDW & Vero Beach for 6 weeks every winter. However, after last year's experience, we have decided to look for other options for 6 weeks in winter.

If we could rent an RV unit that allows pets, are the pet permitted areas in FW very hard to rent in January? Staying at Disney with our pet would be ideal, but if it would be next to impossible, we will begin to look for other options for January 2014.

Bobbi
You seem to be on the right track.

I've taken my dog to Disney when the boarding kennel was at Fort Wilderness. It was more reasonable to bring her with us then to leave her here. The price at the new boarding facility is more expensive, but my experience with the old facility was excellent.

We walked our dog a couple of times a day, took her for a ride or two, brought her treats, and generally spoiled her. We were able to have access from early morning until nine or ten at night. The staff was excellent, friendly and seemed to love my dog. (Hopefully that was the experience for every pet!)

So...not familiar with the new facility at all, but will be trying it sooner or later. Even though I spend several weeks each January, so far I'm lucky to have family at home doing the pet sitting

But the time is coming when I will be purchasing an RV so pets can come along. I'm constantly shopping on craigslist and at the Rv dealers and will be educated when I am ready. I already have a pop up but know that it will not suffice for retirement...it is an introduction to camping however.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: