Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #76
MEK
DIS Veteran

I have made that same mistake on my camera from time to time and it is so frustrating, but at least you got two Illuminations pictures to turn out. Better than none.

Sounds like you had a great day at Epcot and MK. I love going over to MK from Epcot in the evening. Those late EMH's at MK are awesome.

I love that you got a picture on LWTL with the sun coming through one of the panels. That looks cool.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #77
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I have made that same mistake on my camera from time to time and it is so frustrating, but at least you got two Illuminations pictures to turn out. Better than none.
Thanks. I'm surprised ANY turned out because the rest from the entire evening were all out of focus.

Quote:
Sounds like you had a great day at Epcot and MK. I love going over to MK from Epcot in the evening. Those late EMH's at MK are awesome.
We did...food fiascos and all. Our previous trip had the MK open a couple of nights until 3 am. That was a blast!

Quote:
I love that you got a picture on LWTL with the sun coming through one of the panels. That looks cool.
Thanks. Our whole family loves that ride, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it's so cold and snowy and NOT green for so long in Alaska, we just relish in it when we're in Disney.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #78
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Ack, I can't believe that I haven't been keeping up with your gorgeous trip report...off to do some more back-reading. Great, great job - you are such a talented photographer!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #79
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
Ack, I can't believe that I haven't been keeping up with your gorgeous trip report...off to do some more back-reading. Great, great job - you are such a talented photographer!
Thank you!!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #80
Yelloweaver
Earning My Ears

Can't wait to read more.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #81
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 14: “A quick change in plans…”

Andrew and I headed out to the Magic Kingdom. However, we took one look at the bus lines at Pop Century, and made a different plan. We were just tired of crowds and heat.

We are used to coming in the off-season (Late January/early February) and seeing the bus stop at Pop Century like this:

From 2 years ago (January 2010)…

What we saw this morning…

Ugh! So we decided to go to Downtown Disney, have a snack and shop a little (Andrew wanted to look at a specific souvenir) and then head over to a park.

Besides, the line for Downtown Disney was non-existent, and we were “lined out.”

After shopping a bit with no crowds whatsoever, we headed back to “Cookes of Dublin” for some Garlic and Parmesan Skinny Chips...

…and another Dough Bar. Yum!

Feeling rested and ready to tackle a park, Andrew and I headed over to Hollywood Studios. We saw “Lights, Motors, Action!,” which Andrew has always liked. Typical teen boy.

We didn’t spend a lot of time in Hollywood Studios. We headed over to Animal Kingdom instead.

We had some of our favorite counter service food/snacks. That included the egg rolls and fried rice from the Yak and Yeti…

…and a jalepeno cheese pretzel. So amazingly good!

We rode Primeval Whirl, Dinosaur, and Kilimanjaro Safari. Our safari had to stop and wait for some an animal to get out of the road, and it was right in front of the cheetah, who happened to just stand perfectly still for a photo.

We also got to see the lion…

And Andrew got a great shot! These are HIS photo of the lions, and a giraffe, taken with a point-and-shoot. He’s getting to be a pretty good photographer.

We then rode Expedition Everest 7 times in a row, up until the park closed. We LOVE that ride! (Andrew wasn't really bored...he just likes to pose silly for ride photos)

Again, we wandered out slowly, as Animal Kingdom is so beautiful at night.

Getting close to the end of our trip. It’s been great, and we’ve got a lot planned for tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #82
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I have been lurking on your report for a couple of weeks. I keep meaning to come and comment on everything I have read and seen, and there is so much I want to say, but for now...

I am so in awe of your photos. Every single one!

What a gift you have, and I see from that last update that the talent is already flowing down to your son.

I also commend you for traveling along with your 14 year old son, and him for being willing to take the trip with you. Having just (barely) survived a trip in June with 14 year olds, I know the issues a trip with that demographic can present!

Kudos to both of you for enjoying your time together!

Dee
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #83
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I have been lurking on your report for a couple of weeks. I keep meaning to come and comment on everything I have read and seen, and there is so much I want to say, but for now...

I am so in awe of your photos. Every single one!

What a gift you have, and I see from that last update that the talent is already flowing down to your son.
Thank you...what a nice thing to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I also commend you for traveling along with your 14 year old son, and him for being willing to take the trip with you. Having just (barely) survived a trip in June with 14 year olds, I know the issues a trip with that demographic can present!
I think the one-on-one helped a lot. Being the youngest of 5, he doesn't get that a whole lot. We had a blast together.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #84
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 15: "A picture perfect day."

I'm not sure why, but on our last few trips, it seems that one of our best days, is one of our last. And that was certainly the case here. While we had a blast every day, today was just overall a really great day.

We started our day over at the Magic Kingdom. As usual, we rode Pirates first. I dont know how or why that has become our tradition, but it has, when we go to the Magic Kingdom. It was hot (of course!) so Andrew and I headed over to get a beloved Dole Whip.

We also went to Philharmagic, TTA, and Big Thunder. Then, because I love them oh so very much, I got another Fruit and Nutella waffle. I loved it just as much as the last time I had it. Hands down my favorite food on the entire trip.

Finishing up at the Magic Kingdom, we headed back to Animal Kingdom. We really like that park. Sometimes I read people say that they skip Animal Kingdom, or only spend a half-day there. To each their own, but we love this park, and spend a lot of days here.

We rode the usual (Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl), walked the trails, and also rode Safari twice, including the second to last vehicle of the day. As we were standing in line for our first ride earlier in the day, a castmember came by quietly and asked if it were only the two of us. When I said "Yes," she said to follow her. So we by-passed everyone else and she led us through a gate, and over to a safari vehicle already loaded up and waiting, except it was equipped for a wheelchair, and there wasnt anyone in a wheelchair needing to be loaded. So the castmember whisked us into the front row (it can only seat 2, with room next to it for a wheelchair) and away we went. That was quick!

I had on my long 55-250mm telephoto lens, and when the vehicle paused before heading out, I took a picture of the Safari sign. The driver then turned around and said, "Hey, I'm over here!" jokingly, but I surprised him by swinging my camera, telephoto lens and all, in his direction and taking his photo. He was just joking and didn't think I'd actually take his photo. I love Disney castmembers! They're great!!

I really love this next photo... it just reminds me of everything I love about the ride:

This little fella parked himself in the road for a bit, and we had to wait for him to move.

My attempt at an artistic shot ...

This photo shows how empty the vehicle was at the end of the day. We were in the second to last one.

And we were fortunate to see the lion again. We've had good luck on safaris at the end of the day with good views of the animals.

By the time we left the Safari ride, the park was closing, and there weren't many people there.

It had been a great day so far, and we weren't ready for it to end. So off to Hollywood Studios we went! We hadn't seen Fantasmic yet, and I really wanted to. We rode Star Tours, and were surprised to see that the line for Toy Story wasn't long at all. It said 45 minutes, but it ended up being a little less than 30. We then headed over to Fantasmic.

Being my camera was new to me, I wasn't sure how to go about taking photos at night, but I gave it my best shot. I was pretty happy with how my photos turned out, for a DSLR rookie.

It had been a long, but very good, AWESOME day. A picture perfect Disney day!!

Last edited by blestmom; 01-12-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 AM   #85
MEK
DIS Veteran

Well, I have to say that your last two days at the world were wonderful and pictures continue to be lovely! I can't believe you saw the lions two days in a row. Is that even possible? I have to tell you that I have the worst luck with the lions and I am very jealous of your pictures. I may have to "borrow" one for my TR and pretend I took it. Don't worry - I say that to everyone with good lion pictures. My failure rate is so high that I didn't even ride Safari in October because I didn't want to be disappointed - how sad is that.

Nice shots in Fantasmic. Despite the expense, I am taking my brother's family to the dinner package (well - we are actually doing lunch) because I haven't seen it in years.

I know that feeling of being "lined out". It's happened to me a time or two.

So glad you last day was your best day.

Thank you for sharing your trip and your wonderful pictures!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #86
crazycatlady
DIS Veteran

I love your trip report! Your pictures are amazing and make me feel like I am right there at DW.

I would love to visit Alaska someday. I LOVE moose and I have never been able to spot a male moose in the wild (we also like to vacation at National Parks). We've seen a ton of bear, but the male moose just continues to elude me.

I don't care for the F&W Festival either (blasphemy, I know! ) We have gone to DW in October the last four years and I miss how relaxed Epcot is during other times of the year. Even on recommended park days, WS is always crowded and loud.

I look forward to reading the end of your report!

August, 2014- Royal Pacific Resort
November, 2013- Wilderness Lodge
October, 2012- POP Century
October, 2011- POP Century
October, 2010- POP Century
October, 2009- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
October, 2003- Off-site Marriott Grande Vista
February, 2001-Off-site Marriott Royal Palms
October, 1999- Off-site Marriott Cypress Harbour
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #87
jenniferreich
Mouseketeer

Wonderful!

Hi! I just started reading your wonderful trip report, and I'm hooked! Thank you for sharing it with us! I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #88
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't believe you saw the lions two days in a row. Is that even possible? I have to tell you that I have the worst luck with the lions and I am very jealous of your pictures. I may have to "borrow" one for my TR and pretend I took it. Don't worry - I say that to everyone with good lion pictures. My failure rate is so high that I didn't even ride Safari in October because I didn't want to be disappointed - how sad is that.
I've had the best luck seeing the lion, and other animals, out at the later, sometimes the latest, safari ride. I think they're either knowing they are going get fed, or brought in, or whatever, but they've been pretty active that time. Also, I ride the Safari multiple times each trip....it's such a favorite of mine.

Here's wishing you some pixie dust that you'll see lots of animals...especially the lions...on your next trip.

Quote:
Nice shots in Fantasmic. Despite the expense, I am taking my brother's family to the dinner package (well - we are actually doing lunch) because I haven't seen it in years.
Ooh, you'll have such a nice time. Dinner and a show. I really like "Fantasmic!"
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #89
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady View Post
I love your trip report! Your pictures are amazing and make me feel like I am right there at DW.
Thank you! I wish I "was" there right now...LOL!

Quote:
I would love to visit Alaska someday. I LOVE moose and I have never been able to spot a male moose in the wild (we also like to vacation at National Parks). We've seen a ton of bear, but the male moose just continues to elude me.
Alaska is a very beautiful place. I hope you are able to visit some day.

Not a male moose, but this lovely lady was in our front yard a couple of weeks ago...

Quote:
I don't care for the F&W Festival either (blasphemy, I know! ) We have gone to DW in October the last four years and I miss how relaxed Epcot is during other times of the year. Even on recommended park days, WS is always crowded and loud.
Yes! That's it exactly. It just isn't as quiet as I would prefer.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #90
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferreich View Post
Hi! I just started reading your wonderful trip report, and I'm hooked! Thank you for sharing it with us! I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer
Thank you!

I am having a great day...snowing here in Alaska. Hope you're having a wonderful day, too.

You're from Pennsylvania, hm? My son, Andrew, is a HUGE Philadelphia Eagles fan. He wore one of their shirts almost the entire trip. (*See post #81 of Andrew on the Everest ride)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: