Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #31
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz2notz View Post
Wonderful report so far.
Thank you.

Quote:
I understand the mommy guilt. In June my 2 girls, my sister and I are going on a girl's trip and my DS16 won't be joining us. I have promised him a trip the following year without the girls, so he says he's okay with it.
I hope both your trips are great ones.

Quote:
The food at Le Cellier looks so yummy. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Epcot. I'm hoping to get a reservation for our girl's trip.
We really enjoyed it. I hope you get your reservation.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #32
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
Hi I just found your trip report and I'm loving it.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I'm so glad you and your son seem to be having a great time.
Oh, we did. I'm so glad we had all these fun memories. All too soon he'll be in college just like his brothers. They grow up so fast.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 AM   #33
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Great updates. Your pictures are really beautiful.
Thank you!

Quote:
I love the spider web. Definitely not a Disney picture, but so pretty all the same.
Thanks. I just loved that he noticed that.

Quote:
Was it hot?
Now what makes you think that?

Quote:
I actually tried to reach out and take a piece of that bread.
I could make a meal out of the bread and salad at most restaurants. I eat meat...it's just not my favorite thing. But bread...that is a weakness, for sure.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #34
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Great report and pics.
Thank you!

Quote:
We were there too then. it was warm but the 3 years before this one were incredibly hot. 2009 was 111 degrees.
I admit I am a heat wimp. I really am. One of my favorite trips to Disney was during a record cold spell, and we were wearing winter coats, hats and gloves. It was great! Parks were not crowded at all, and no one wanted to go on the fast rides because they were freezing. I thought it was great! I know...I'm weird.

Quote:
I missed Smash Mouth and Javier. I did see one concert while I was there.
Who did you see?
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #35
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 5: “I won! I won!”

Another gorgeous day at the Magic Kingdom. Except… it’s hot.

Some days I wish I could just transplant myself right here…

I just love this area of the Magic Kingdom.

We also got to tour the New Fantasyland area again. And this time they let us look inside the “Be Our Guest” restaurant (but it wasn’t open for business). Beautiful inside! Can’t wait to try it next time.

But this time, “Gaston’s Tavern” was open!

I was so excited to try LeFou’s Brew…it was SO good! I mean like…so, so, SO good! I really loved it. A lot. It tasted like a green apple slushie with like a toasted marshmallow foam on top. Yummy!!!

We also got the chocolate croissant, and I was surprised how good that was, too. I was expecting a bakery item like I’d get at our local grocery store bakery, but this one was really light and flakey, and really tasty. I was impressed.

I loved all the décor…the attention to detail is done in Disney’s meticulous way. Even down to the signs for the restrooms…even those fit into the décor.

Andrew gave in and agreed to go on the Little Mermaid ride...One. More. Time.

We didn’t do the Belle thing or the Ariel thing. There are only so many things I can get a 14-year-old boy to agree to, and I knew that wasn’t one of them.

So back to the rest of the Magic Kingdom. Spent some time in Tomorrowland, including Space Mountain, Laugh Floor, and Buzz Lightyear. I was excited about Buzz because I really stink at the shooting games, and this time…I won!

I never, ever win, but I must have somehow accidentally hit a large scoring target. I took a photo because this feat will most likely not be repeated.

We then got lunch at Casey’s. I just love it there. When you’re in the mood for Casey’s Corn Dog Nuggets, not even a 5-star restaurant will do. (As if we’d ever get to eat in a 5-star restaurant anyway…LOL!) Andrew opted for the chili dog, and I got the yummy corn dog nuggets with LOTS of mustard.

We also went on Haunted Mansion again. This time, a few of my indoor photos did turn out, and I was pretty surprised. Except I can’t remember at all what settings I used!

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments has always been one of my favorite counter service restaurants just because of it’s décor…

I love the colonial look of the place. But now it has moved up even more because of this wonderful creation…

Oh. My Word. This was my favorite food item from the entire trip, and I got two of them over the course of two weeks. I could have gotten more…it was that good.

Even though it was HOT, I really enjoyed the fall decorations. Very beautifully done.

Spent some time taking photos of the castle, and exploring the shops on Main Street…and especially enjoyed the candy store.

At this point, since it was so HOT, Andrew asked if we could go back to the hotel and watch some football. Sounded good to me. Once we left for the day, we were waiting for our bus to Pop Century and this little gal was following us in the line. We were half surprised she didn’t hop on the bus with the rest of us!

We like the food court at Pop Century, so that’s what we did for dinner. We better get good rest tonight, because we've got a long day planned for tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #36
FancyNancy
Princess

That new drink looks YUM!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #37
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Just found this TR and I'm joining in.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #38
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Just found this TR and I'm joining in.
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #39
MEK
DIS Veteran

Your food pictures should be in a magazine because I am drooling. Do you use manual settings for the food pics or photoshop them or both? I am terrible at food pictures. In fact, now I just take them with my phone and they turn out better than my pathetic camera attempts.

Be Our Guest looks lovely. We did not get to see it in October, but did get to ride the Little Mermaid and go inside Gaston's Tavern. What a pretty area. Loved it.

Wait - was it still hot outside?

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #40
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Joining in. I was there with a friend at the beginning of Oct this year. We also made use of the Chase Visa Lounge. Loved it! My friend loved getting the chocolates at every entry! Wish we'd known we could get the wrist band for Illuminations early on in our trip. We'd have scored some for the 40th anniversary fireworks. We did the one for the Eat to the Beat concert.

Speaking of the Ghiradelli pumpkin spice chocolates...my DD loves that flavor and as you've said, they are very difficult to get. I have only located them here in the lower 48 in the holiday pack-comes with eggnog, peppermint bark and the pumpkin spice.. It's a limited edition collection and probably only available now. I found them at Target and Wal-Mart.

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip. It was hot this year. I have been to WDW 4 times in Oct (early, middle and very end). It has been HOT -this year and the year we went at the end Oct/start of Nov, cool in mid Oct when I went in 2009, and nice when I went in 2006. You just never know.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #41
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do you use manual settings for the food pics or photoshop them or both?
I mostly used my close-up setting, with the flash turned off. I'm brand-new to the world of DSLR photography, so learning as I go. And I post-process my photos with a free online photo editor.

Quote:
Be Our Guest looks lovely.
I'm really excited to see it next trip.

Quote:
Wait - was it still hot outside?
:
Old 11-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #42
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Joining in.
Yay! Welcome.

Quote:
Wish we'd known we could get the wrist band for Illuminations early on in our trip.
We got wristbands for Illuminations, but that night Andrew was tired so we didn't end up staying. The day we did stay and watch the fireworks, we didn't get to the Lounge. Go figure!

Quote:
Speaking of the Ghiradelli pumpkin spice chocolates...my DD loves that flavor and as you've said, they are very difficult to get. I have only located them here in the lower 48 in the holiday pack-comes with eggnog, peppermint bark and the pumpkin spice.. It's a limited edition collection and probably only available now. I found them at Target and Wal-Mart.
Ooh...thanks for the tip! I'm going to look for that when I do my shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.

Quote:
It was hot this year.
Yes...yes it was.

Quote:
I have been to WDW 4 times in Oct (early, middle and very end). It has been HOT -this year and the year we went at the end Oct/start of Nov, cool in mid Oct when I went in 2009, and nice when I went in 2006. You just never know.
If I can swing it, I'd like to go back to my January/February time frame. I really do prefer less heat. Although, I'd rather go with the heat than not at all!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #43
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blestmom View Post
I mostly used my close-up setting, with the flash turned off. I'm brand-new to the world of DSLR photography, so learning as I go. And I post-process my photos with a free online photo editor.
Well, you must not be new to the art of photography because you pictures are beyond good. Your eye is excellent, but the quality of the picture itself is really great!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 11-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #44
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, you must not be new to the art of photography because you pictures are beyond good. Your eye is excellent, but the quality of the picture itself is really great!
Thank you. I did have a 'bridge' camera before getting this new one...but I couldn't change lenses, etc.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #45
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Day 6: Green vs. Orange

Today was a Hollywood Studios Day. We wanted to make sure to ride Toy Story Mania, so that’s where we headed first.

I almost had a “don’t-cause-a-scene, Mom” moment (I did have one later in the trip…) when we were waiting in line for a Fastpass. There were several lines, about 6 or 7 people deep. We were almost up the front of our line when the machine in our line started not working. We waited a while, but it still wasn’t working. In the meantime, the other lines were moving along at a good pace. So I decided to get out of that line, and get in the back of one of the other lines. I guess I didn’t communicate that Andrew clearly enough because instead of stepping out of the line, he stepped backwards…and right on to the foot of the person behind him (and she was wearing flip flops.) I’m sure it didn’t feel too good, and she really protested loudly. “Ouch!”…and then proceeded to make a really big deal about how badly it hurt. Really, it was my fault and an accident. I apologized to her, but she was pretty darn grumpy about the whole thing. As it was, after we got out of that line and in the back of another, the original Fastpass machine was working again, and the lady had her Fastpass before we did and then we both got in the stand-by line, except she was ahead of us. I was feeling pretty stupid and sheepish at this point, and really just wanted to crawl under a rock, but I sucked it up and just smiled at her as best I could. I think she was happy she was ahead of us in line, and seeing as we caused her so much injury ( ) it just seemed right.

Andrew ended up beating my score… but not by much. I am significantly more skilled at this ride than Buzz.

After this, Andrew and I headed over to Starring Rolls. We love this place. I had another chocolate croissant. I really do like these!

We then rode Star Tours, the Great Movie Ride, and then visited “One Man’s Dream.” Andrew and I both really love this. We see it every trip. We both love the history behind the parks. Think of how many things were dreamed up in Walt’s office.

We visited some shops on the main street, and then...because we were hot...we decided to head over to Epcot for a little while. We had never taken the boat from Hollywood Studios to Epcot, so we decided to do that. On the way, I kept stopping to take photos.

We were outside the gate area, and I stopped to take more pictures. I kept shooting away, while Andrew was saying, “Mom…come ON!” I told him to hang on, I just wanted to get a few photos. Finally I understood his urgency. The boat was there, and the driver was waiting for me. When I finally figured this out, I ran over to the boat, but I was SO embarrassed as I boarded the boat with everyone waiting for me. Oops. Sorry, people. My bad.

The boat ride took a LONG time, but we were in no hurry. It was fun to see the Boardwalk area, etc. We entered Epcot through the International Gateway area.

Please don’t hate me for this, but if I’m being completely honest, I have to admit…I don’t like the Food and Wine Festival much.

There. I’ve said it. I know a lot of people love it. I do think the food from different counties is really neat. But I just don’t like the crowds it brings. One thing I’ve always loved about the World Showcase is the ability to meander at a relaxed pace through each pavilion, taking in the sights and sounds of each one. To me, the Food and Wine Festival just makes the whole place more congested and fast-paced…even on a ‘quieter’ weekday.

Andrew was really looking forward to trying “Mission Space: Orange” this trip. On our last trip, my younger daughter did NOT want to do the “Orange” version, so we all decided to go on the “Green” side. Since it was just the two of us, and I’d been on the “Orange” side before, he was excited to try it. And………

he LOVED it! Really loved it. I’m so glad he got a chance to try it. We then rode Spaceship Earth, and visited the Chase lounge again (read: free pumpkin chocolate …I cannot get enough of it…I am addicted to it…and free soda for Andrew.)

In the Ghirardelli area, they had these sculptures constructed of all chocolate. They were amazing.

My daughter thinks that the Fairy Godmother resembles E.T. here.

It had been a great day…but it wasn’t over yet! We had a dinner reservation at Trail’s End over at Fort Wilderness. If money were no object ( ), I would stay there in the cabins. Our first two family trips were in the cabins, and I think it is so beautiful over there. So now we stay at Pop Century, and visit the campground.

We took the monorail from Epcot to the Magic Kingdom, then got off to catch a boat over to Fort Wilderness. It was time for the sun to set, and wow…was it beautiful!

Also, I thought this was cool…I got a photo of a silhouette of Andrew and me in a little girl’s Mickey balloon.

Once we got to Fort Wilderness, we had a little time to explore around a bit.

We really love visiting the horse barn. The Disney horses really are such gorgeous animals!

Another cool thing we saw were all these deer. They were just roaming free around there.

We really, really enjoyed the buffet at Trail’s End. We though the food was really good, there was hardly anyone there, and the price was right. I would definitely do that again.

And it was so relaxing and quiet. What a great break from the busy parks. I also had a good conversation with our waiter. We talked for almost half an hour about Alaska. Another thing I thought was really neat was that when we came in, the manager there said “hi” and asked us our name, and told us to have a nice dinner. Near the end of our meal, he came back and asked us if everything was good…and he remembered my name! I thought that was really nice.

And…the night still wasn’t over! We went back to the boat dock, to catch a boat back to the Magic Kingdom. While we were waiting, we got to watch “Wishes.” That was cool…they pipe in the music over there. When we got to the Magic Kingdom, we were just in time for the Main Street Electrical Light Parade. I do love parades!

Afterwards, we rode a few rides, and saw the new Fantasyland at night (beautiful!)

Andrew was patient while I took some nighttime photos.

After getting back to the hotel, I called the family back home...

...then we crashed! Wow…This was a long, but fantastic, day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: