Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #3241
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Well I don't know .... are they going to mess with Social Security and Medicare????
My understanding is that those programs are exempt:

https://www.cwla.org/advocacy/Exempt...rationCuts.pdf
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #3242
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'm really fuming about how sequestration has been handled. It was due to take effect 2 JAN and then was delayed and is due to take effect Friday and federal agencies are still acting as if they have no idea what will happen. They've known about this law for many months. DH's agency has been only notified that IF they are personally contacted in coming weeks (which may not happen as he might be deemed 'mission essential'), then they will be advised of the details of the one day a week, 22 week furlough of most federal (non-active duty) employees.

I have to admit that I feel a little silly coming home from an extra additional overcharge WDW spring break trip with possible sequestration beginning the next day for DH. I even mentioned the C-word yesterday - cancelation, because I felt so guilty about going on this trip. This threw DH for a loop. I even thought it would be more prudent to maybe vacation in-state instead and save thousands. Why am I being so pragmatic?

Any other possible sequestration victims out there?
Oh yes, my Mission Impossible friend... I've been thinking of the C-word too for the October trip should the furloughs take place. I've been thinking of a few other words for the D.C. Menagerie of Morons. There were rumblings of lay-offs along with the furloughs at my hub's work. Kinda just in a holding pattern for now, I can't really justify the APs if the proverbial poo hits the fan. Meh.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #3243
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Just wanted to pop in and say hello. I spent the weekend playing SW:tOR with the DH. Today, I'm just all foggy headed. I didn't get much sleep last night and when I finally drifted off, a bottle of mostly empty shampoo fell off the shelf in the shower and hit the shower floor on the cap of the bottle. It was loud enough to wake both the DH and I up. Then I didn't go back off to sleep for like an hour.

Well, I'm back off to study for my final, and research stuff for our San Antonio trip. I thought we were going in May, but nope we're going at the end of March. The DH said we may even do a penguin tour (they are my favorite animal).

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #3244
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm really fuming about how sequestration has been handled. It was due to take effect 2 JAN and then was delayed and is due to take effect Friday and federal agencies are still acting as if they have no idea what will happen. They've known about this law for many months. DH's agency has been only notified that IF they are personally contacted in coming weeks (which may not happen as he might be deemed 'mission essential'), then they will be advised of the details of the one day a week, 22 week furlough of most federal (non-active duty) employees.

I have to admit that I feel a little silly coming home from an extra additional overcharge WDW spring break trip with possible sequestration beginning the next day for DH. I even mentioned the C-word yesterday - cancelation, because I felt so guilty about going on this trip. This threw DH for a loop. I even thought it would be more prudent to maybe vacation in-state instead and save thousands. Why am I being so pragmatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Oh yes, my Mission Impossible friend... I've been thinking of the C-word too for the October trip should the furloughs take place. I've been thinking of a few other words for the D.C. Menagerie of Morons. There were rumblings of lay-offs along with the furloughs at my hub's work. Kinda just in a holding pattern for now, I can't really justify the APs if the proverbial poo hits the fan. Meh.
Ah....the dreaded Sequestration word....count us in as watching closely as to what goes on with that....

As of right now, DH has been advised that they are not part of the initial 800,000 people to get furloughed. He explained something about the 800,000 being title 5 employees, and he is a title 32, meaning a military/civilian and they have put in a request for waiver since they support both federal and state missions.....I dunno...it's all mumbo jumbo to me and it makes me sooooo angry that these idiots in DC can't get over themselves and actually do something for the good of the country....and that's not a political statement because BOTH sides are to blame for this mess.

Anyway, the plan is that if DH does end up getting furloughed, he will take it all in July (because they can basically choose how to spread it out) since he will be deployed in July and making a lot more overseas anyway.

I just think the whole situation is assanine and there is no indication that anyone is even talking about fixing it.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #3245
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

K, just got off the phone with my BFF. She was concerned because she is trying to compile a drink list for drinking around the world at Epcot and when she pulled up the map she could not find the World Showcase food court where this takes place!!!

Food court?!?!?!? Oh boy. I explained World Showcase to her and she was baffled by this.....I really can't wait until they experience the real Disney and not what horrible monstrosity they have conjured up in their heads!!!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Old 02-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #3246
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
K, just got off the phone with my BFF. She was concerned because she is trying to compile a drink list for drinking around the world at Epcot and when she pulled up the map she could not find the World Showcase food court where this takes place!!!

Food court?!?!?!? Oh boy. I explained World Showcase to her and she was baffled by this.....I really can't wait until they experience the real Disney and not what horrible monstrosity they have conjured up in their heads!!!
To me it's so funny that most people have no idea what WDW is .... just think it's a regular old amusement park!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #3247
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:

Thanks for posting the link

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 02-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #3248
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My computer is being wonky today so I haven't been able to take a look but thanks for posting it!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #3249
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
Me and hubs
Jeanette: This sounds amazing!!

Quote:
That is EXCELLENT, Jeanette! <--- My face is actually this shade at the moment, too.
Miss: ME TOO!!! and also this... but mostly this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
I love F&G and now that they've added the food booths .... perfect!
Linda: I can't wait to check it out too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
I cant believe I forgot to post this.....I had a dream last night that my family was on vacation with Jeanette's and Jen's families! We all rented a big house somewhere, not sure where! How strange is that???????

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Melissa: This is hilarious!! We are haunting your dreams!! But in a good way! Maybe someday...an RC family get together in the works! Love your blog start!

Quote:

Me too!!!

That would be so amazing do you think all of our DHs would run away fishing The kids would have a blast
Jeanette: THere is no doubt about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
So as I mentioned to pas, I had to scale down the August trip. We just can't afford 10 nights then on top of the April trip. Plus I know I will still want to try to sneak in a quickie in Dec/Jan before the AP's expire.

We are now booked for 6 nights Poly CL in August and 5 nights YC CL in April. No splitting on either trip feels weird. I'm not sure if I can handle that.

Have a great Monday all!
IHeart: Your trips still sound amazing...I think we will be following a similar pattern with our new AP's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Jen, Linda and I stayed at POR in January and it is a lovely resort. Think you all will enjoy the resort and the savings... happy DD is better.
Janet: Yay! more good words about POR! How did you find the buses when you were there?

Quote:
As of right now, DH has been advised that they are not part of the initial 800,000 people to get furloughed. He explained something about the 800,000 being title 5 employees, and he is a title 32, meaning a military/civilian and they have put in a request for waiver since they support both federal and state missions.....I dunno...it's all mumbo jumbo to me and it makes me sooooo angry that these idiots in DC can't get over themselves and actually do something for the good of the country....and that's not a political statement because BOTH sides are to blame for this mess.

Anyway, the plan is that if DH does end up getting furloughed, he will take it all in July (because they can basically choose how to spread it out) since he will be deployed in July and making a lot more overseas anyway.

I just think the whole situation is assanine and there is no indication that anyone is even talking about fixing it.
Candace: You lost me at squestrian??? Sorry ignorant Canadian over here....what the heck is your government trying to do???

Quote:

I am sorry but this is hilarious!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 PM   #3250
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post

Miss: ME TOO!!! and also this... but mostly this!

Linda: I can't wait to check it out too!

Melissa: This is hilarious!! We are haunting your dreams!! But in a good way! Maybe someday...an RC family get together in the works! Love your blog start!

IHeart: Your trips still sound amazing...I think we will be following a similar pattern with our new AP's!

Janet: Yay! more good words about POR! How did you find the buses when you were there?

Candace: You lost me at squestrian??? Sorry ignorant Canadian over here....what the heck is your government trying to do???

I am sorry but this is hilarious!
In a nutshell, because the two major political parties of our country cannot come to an agreement on our budget and refuse to compromise, they are basically going to allow a series of cuts (known as the sequestration) in federal spending happen that will result in many federal and state agencies to lose funding. It's really pathetic and I wish there was a way to get rid of all of the politicians in Washington and start all over again...maybe with me as president...

And yes, the food court comment resulted in my jaw immediately hitting the floor....

PAST TRIPS:
Old 02-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #3251
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In a nutshell, because the two major political parties of our country cannot come to an agreement on our budget and refuse to compromise, they are basically going to allow a series of cuts (known as the sequestration) in federal spending happen that will result in many federal and state agencies to lose funding. It's really pathetic and I wish there was a way to get rid of all of the politicians in Washington and start all over again...maybe with me as president...

And yes, the food court comment resulted in my jaw immediately hitting the floor....
Politicians stink. Here too.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #3252
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse View Post
pas - Fabulous news! I was the same way when I started reading up on this year's F&G. Had.to.go! Too bad it now ultimately means I have to shorten the August trip, but whatevs.

So as I mentioned to pas, I had to scale down the August trip. We just can't afford 10 nights then on top of the April trip. Plus I know I will still want to try to sneak in a quickie in Dec/Jan before the AP's expire.
We are now booked for 6 nights Poly CL in August and 5 nights YC CL in April. No splitting on either trip feels weird. I'm not sure if I can handle that.
I spent all evening with DH picking out snacks we want to try And both trips sound great to me! So it's a split stay still..split into two trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
WOOOHOOOOO for adults trip!
I know!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet B View Post
Pas!! Have to make use of those APs, right?? YES!!!

Well....It's a tough thing, but someone's has to make sure you stay out of trouble.... but I have a feeling that Brian will be able to go.
I hope he can. He just called me, his supervisor was fired, and they are very aggresively wanting to promote him immediately! More money, plus they want to work with him!!! And I've also been called to interview Monday (name mentioned from an old supervisor) to help start up a new endeavor locally I am going to interview...but who knows what exactly I am getting into
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Jeanette 36 Days? I have to hurry up now and read the next 2 pages

Quote:
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOray!!! I still can't figure out where you're staying - do you even know?

I know where I booked....does that count...All Star Sports

Does Brian know yet? If you don't tell him he won't ever know he was uninvited and that Janet took his place

He does know..now I wait..impatiently for MIL to find out if she can watch the kids

I could move in with my in-laws and live in the same town as Melissa

Is it far from my in-laws?
Mass exodus to Florida...poor Melissa, there goes the neighborhood
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Jeanette Super! fantastic! Green with envy here! I saw that about the Food booths and wished we were going to F&G this year.

I keep saying I am moving to Florida after this Winter
I am moving there...eventually...like 15 years eventually..but it's a dream!!

Quote:

It's hard to justify any "extra" spending. But I am sure your DH wants you all to have this trip. The government they know what will happen, they choose not to disclose it. The hospital system is directly affected from all these "cuts" I know those with low income won't lose Medicid or Medicare BUT the Doctors and Hospitals are losing reimbursement. This is leading hospitals to close, merge, etc. And many Doctors are choosing to no longer accept any insurance leading to out of pocket medical expenses for many. My own insurance has changed vastly since 2013 started

Our hospital isbeingbought, to a bidder...any bidder. The last merger fell through. The system is broke...it is scary! Ugh!

Quote:
Kinda just in a holding pattern for now, I can't really justify the APs if the proverbial poo hits the fan. Meh.

Quote:

We would have to get a hugemungous house...a compound perhaps for our RC family...with a nice Tiki Bar in the back

I am surprisingly not having Mommy guilt yet, it IS only 2 nights after all

Quote:
In a nutshell, because the two major political parties of our country cannot come to an agreement on our budget and refuse to compromise, they are basically going to allow a series of cuts (known as the sequestration) in federal spending happen that will result in many federal and state agencies to lose funding. It's really pathetic and I wish there was a way to get rid of all of the politicians in Washington and start all over again...maybe with me as president..
You'll have my vote Candace

Aug 14 TR: Go with the flow dudeJungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #3253
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

More than you ever wanted to know about Sequestration!

Quote:
You lost me at squestrian??? Sorry ignorant Canadian over here....what the heck is your government trying to do???
You're not ignorant at all, most Americans are confused as well and I've had to help explain it to many friends.

Our sequestration is a package of automatic spending cuts that’s part of the Budget Control Act (BCA) of 2011, which was passed in August 2011. The White House, with the help of Jack Lew (the Budget Director) proposed the idea back in 2011, (Mr. Lew has been nominated to be our next Treasury Secretary), and congressional leaders ultimately agreed to the BCA.

The cuts, which are projected to total $1.2 trillion, are scheduled to begin Friday and end in 2021. Yes, they last 9 years, which most don't realize. The cuts are evenly split between our defense spending — with spending on wars exempt — and discretionary domestic spending, which exempts most spending on (non-discretionary) entitlements like Social Security and Medicaid, which Linda and Sheila asked about yesterday. The total cuts for 2013 will be around $109 billion, give or take. This is a minuscule forced 2% spending cut.

Under the BCA, the cuts were triggered to take effect beginning 2 JAN if the supercommittee didn’t agree to a $1.2 trillion deficit-reduction package by NOV 2011. The group failed to reach a deal, so the sequester was triggered. During the election, the President said that the sequester wouldn't take effect, but in fact, it's law, and unless he issues an Executive Order, it must take effect.

The sequester can be avoided, but only if our Congress passes another budget deal that would achieve at least $1.2 trillion in deficit reduction. The political obstacles are basically the same as during the supercommittee negotiations that failed: Republicans don’t want to raise taxes, while Democrats are reluctant to make dramatic changes to entitlement programs to achieve savings.

So there you have it, oh, and we are still under a Continuing Resolution (CR) which funds our government because the Senate hasn't passed a budget since the Bush Administration (2009). The current CR will expire in the end of March. My DH is a retired military officer so he'll still receive his pension, but he's a current federal employee with our Department of Defense and is therefore subject to a one day a week furlough for 22 weeks starting in April. What happens the next 9 years, who knows. DH is actually looking forward to the prospect of being forced to stay home an extra day
Old 02-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #3254
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=pas130;47631480]I spent all evening with DH picking out snacks we want to try And both trips sound great to me! So it's a split stay still..split into two trips

I know!!!
I hope he can. He just called me, his supervisor was fired, and they are very aggresively wanting to promote him immediately! More money, plus they want to work with him!!! And I've also been called to interview Monday (name mentioned from an old supervisor) to help start up a new endeavor locally I am going to interview...but who knows what exactly I am getting into

/QUOTE]

Jeanette: Wow....good luck on both your and DH's job fronts! This all sounds very promising!

Quote:
You're not ignorant at all, most Americans are confused as well and I've had to help explain it to many friends.

Our sequestration is a package of automatic spending cuts that’s part of the Budget Control Act (BCA) of 2011, which was passed in August 2011. The White House, with the help of Jack Lew (the Budget Director) proposed the idea back in 2011, (Mr. Lew has been nominated to be our next Treasury Secretary), and congressional leaders ultimately agreed to the BCA.

The cuts, which are projected to total $1.2 trillion, are scheduled to begin Friday and end in 2021. Yes, they last 9 years, which most don't realize. The cuts are evenly split between our defense spending — with spending on wars exempt — and discretionary domestic spending, which exempts most spending on (non-discretionary) entitlements like Social Security and Medicaid, which Linda and Sheila asked about yesterday. The total cuts for 2013 will be around $109 billion, give or take. This is a minuscule forced 2% spending cut.

Under the BCA, the cuts were triggered to take effect beginning 2 JAN if the supercommittee didn’t agree to a $1.2 trillion deficit-reduction package by NOV 2011. The group failed to reach a deal, so the sequester was triggered. During the election, the President said that the sequester wouldn't take effect, but in fact, it's law, and unless he issues an Executive Order, it must take effect.

The sequester can be avoided, but only if our Congress passes another budget deal that would achieve at least $1.2 trillion in deficit reduction. The political obstacles are basically the same as during the supercommittee negotiations that failed: Republicans don’t want to raise taxes, while Democrats are reluctant to make dramatic changes to entitlement programs to achieve savings.

So there you have it, oh, and we are still under a Continuing Resolution (CR) which funds our government because the Senate hasn't passed a budget since the Bush Administration (2009). The current CR will expire in the end of March. My DH is a retired military officer so he'll still receive his pension, but he's a current federal employee with our Department of Defense and is therefore subject to a one day a week furlough for 22 weeks starting in April. What happens the next 9 years, who knows. DH is actually looking forward to the prospect of being forced to stay home an extra day
Kook: You summed it all up quite nicely for me, and I have to say my head is spinning! But wow.... what a lot for the average person to understand. I hope you all aren't affected too harshly by all this.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #3255
WDWKOOK

Quote:

It's hard to justify any "extra" spending. But I am sure your DH wants you all to have this trip. The government they know what will happen, they choose not to disclose it. The hospital system is directly affected from all these "cuts" I know those with low income won't lose Medicid or Medicare BUT the Doctors and Hospitals are losing reimbursement. This is leading hospitals to close, merge, etc. And many Doctors are choosing to no longer accept any insurance leading to out of pocket medical expenses for many. My own insurance has changed vastly since 2013 started

Our hospital isbeingbought, to a bidder...any bidder. The last merger fell through. The system is broke...it is scary! Ugh!
Wow! You have a lot of possible changes coming up and they sound really promising. I hope that everything works out just the way you hope.

It's funny you mention the gov't knowing what will happen. DH had a Town Hall meeting yesterday regarding sequestration at his agency and almost every single employee's question was left unanswered! It just made everyone angrier and DH already hates those TH meetings on a good day.

I hope MIL comes through for you and DH. If that doesn't work out, there's always Melissa's MIL
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: