Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #3031
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

uggghhhh...I never thought my DH could ever be in any danger doing his job, going into people's homes, until today. I thought maybe he might be in a house with a woman who didn't know it was proper to be in little more than a bath suit while he was there, but not danger. As you can tell from my picture as a kid, I'm about as lilly white as they come and my husband isn't any darker. He as been training this new guy, who we really like. The little I have spoken to him, he's extremely nice. Anyway, he happens to be African American. I only tell you that because it is important to the story. Anyway, they drove 1 1/2 hours (one way) to this house to work on 3 appliances. As soon as they got there, and the wife saw them, she had to go inside and "straighten up a bit". When the got into the house there were 2 (or maybe it was 3) huge muscle white guys with bald heads and tatt's everywhere they could see. My DH didn't look at them to see what kind they were because they were there to work on appliances, no look at tattoos. Then the dad came in. Same as the sons...huge white guy, bald with tattoos every where. The only difference is, he didn't have a shirt on and he made a point to make sure they saw his back....with the massive swastika on it. They all kept a very close eye on them, and kept saying things under their breath like calling my DH and Brodderick "meatloaf", or making "meatloaf" references. I might be over reacting, but I take that as a threat to my DH and Broderick. Needless to say, I a not a happy woman today. I just don't understand that level of ignorance. Worse thing is, they were out in the middle of no where. These guys could have decided to do something and there is nothing we could have done to help them.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #3032
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
uggghhhh...I never thought my DH could ever be in any danger doing his job, going into people's homes, until today. I thought maybe he might be in a house with a woman who didn't know it was proper to be in little more than a bath suit while he was there, but not danger. As you can tell from my picture as a kid, I'm about as lilly white as they come and my husband isn't any darker. He as been training this new guy, who we really like. The little I have spoken to him, he's extremely nice. Anyway, he happens to be African American. I only tell you that because it is important to the story. Anyway, they drove 1 1/2 hours (one way) to this house to work on 3 appliances. As soon as they got there, and the wife saw them, she had to go inside and "straighten up a bit". When the got into the house there were 2 (or maybe it was 3) huge muscle white guys with bald heads and tatt's everywhere they could see. My DH didn't look at them to see what kind they were because they were there to work on appliances, no look at tattoos. Then the dad came in. Same as the sons...huge white guy, bald with tattoos every where. The only difference is, he didn't have a shirt on and he made a point to make sure they saw his back....with the massive swastika on it. They all kept a very close eye on them, and kept saying things under their breath like calling my DH and Brodderick "meatloaf", or making "meatloaf" references. I might be over reacting, but I take that as a threat to my DH and Broderick. Needless to say, I a not a happy woman today. I just don't understand that level of ignorance. Worse thing is, they were out in the middle of no where. These guys could have decided to do something and there is nothing we could have done to help them.
Oh Boy Wookie, so glad nothing came of this. That would have been very uncomfortable for your DH and his work partner. I hate to think like this but you just never seem to know anymore, this world has become a very scary place. I too would have been upset to hear about all this.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #3033
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Wookie, that is downright scary stuff. I'm just glad they're both okay. Hugs! (On my phone so no smileys.)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #3034
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3

Oh Boy Wookie, so glad nothing came of this. That would have been very uncomfortable for your DH and his work partner. I hate to think like this but you just never seem to know anymore, this world has become a very scary place. I too would have been upset to hear about all this.
He didn't even tell me about it. The fil asked him about it at dinner. My inner teenager wants to flood their mailbox with magazine subs.

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 02-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #3035
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout
Wookie, that is downright scary stuff. I'm just glad they're both okay. Hugs! (On my phone so no smileys.)
I know. My DH is a big guy, but they were out numbered.

We actually stopped playing an online game, Aion, because a white supremeist kept trying to recruit us and we wouldn't listen to his ignorant talk, which was made worse by his praise of McNabb.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #3036
i_heart_the_mouse
DIS Veteran

Wookie - OMG that is so scary. I seriously cannot believe there are still people like that in this world. Very sad. I'm glad nothing came of it and I totally get your reaction.
Feb 09-FW Cabins, Jan 10-Poly,Nov 10-Poly & MVMCP, Sep 11-BC-CL & MNSSHP, Jan 12-Poly-CL, Jun 12-YC-CL/GF-RPC/BWI-CL/CR-CL, Aug 12-Poly-TPV-CL, Jan 13-Poly/YC-CL, Apr 13-YC-CL, Aug 13-Poly-CL/BC-CL/AKV, Dec 13 -VGF/YC Mar 14 - BC Next Up.... AKV/Poly CL/BWI Split!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #3037
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sometimes I just don't understand people. Glad everyone is okay.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #3038
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Wookie, That must have been so alarming to them. So sorry they had such a rotten experience.
Sending you hugs.

TY Kook!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #3039
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran

Wookie- good heavens, that was a scary situation and could have gone south pretty fast.
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
Old 02-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #3040
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_the_mouse
Wookie - OMG that is so scary. I seriously cannot believe there are still people like that in this world. Very sad. I'm glad nothing came of it and I totally get your reaction.
I just don't understand the thinking. I was brought up to think like this and it's how I explained it to my boys. God uses different skin colors on people like they (my boys) use different color crayons. He (meaning God) would be bored if he had to use the same color on everyone. Just like no crayon color is better than any other, no skin is better than any other. If my kids could understand it as toddlers, adults should be able to.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #3041
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just don't understand the thinking. I was brought up to think like this and it's how I explained it to my boys. God uses different skin colors on people like they (my boys) use different color crayons. He (meaning God) would be bored if he had to use the same color on everyone. Just like no crayon color is better than any other, no skin is better than any other. If my kids could understand it as toddlers, adults should be able to.
What a good analogy, and why some people cannot get this I will never understand.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #3042
basketlacey
DIS Veteran

Hi friends! Hope everyone is doing well! Loved all the old pics!

We are just back from a weekend out of town. We went to Great Wolf Lodge on Valentines and then spent the weekend at a dance competition. It was fun but of course there are a million things to do now.

I am trying to plan a summer trip. I gave up on Spring Break. Airfare is too high for me to deal with the predicted crowds.

I don't really want to do Disney for summer - too hot. Thinking a cruise or the Caribbean. Need to see what deals I can find!

]Disney trips:6/2003: ASMo;11/2005: Offsite;10/2009: Offsite;11/2010: POR;11/2011 - AKL;10/2012 - BC; 10/2013 - WL/BWI; 2/2014 - FWC/Disney Cruise - Magic/CR; 4/2014 - CBR; 7/2014 Dolphin/OKW
Old 02-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #3043
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3
What a good analogy, and why some people cannot get this I will never understand.
Me either.

Thanks y'all. The DH said by the time the dad came in, they were almost done, luckily.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #3044
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketlacey View Post
Hi friends! Hope everyone is doing well! Loved all the old pics!

We are just back from a weekend out of town. We went to Great Wolf Lodge on Valentines and then spent the weekend at a dance competition. It was fun but of course there are a million things to do now.

I am trying to plan a summer trip. I gave up on Spring Break. Airfare is too high for me to deal with the predicted crowds.

I don't really want to do Disney for summer - too hot. Thinking a cruise or the Caribbean. Need to see what deals I can find!
How did the dance competition go? And Great Wolf LOdge? We have never been, but there is one fairly close by.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #3045
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Wookie, I'm sorry your DH and his co-worker had such an uncomfortable experience. Unfortunately, there have always been ignorant people in the world, and there probably always will be. Being a person of many different races/nationalities (Italian, Cuban, Portuguese, and American Indian), I have always been around all races at all times and race never even crosses my mind. But, I have family down south...who are white, and who realize that they are related to people of color, and have no issue with it but will still use the "N" word.

I'll never forget when I brought DH down there for a family reunion. He is Greek, Irish, and French Canadian....and pretty pasty as you've seen from pics.... But my very mixed family was all at this party and an older white great aunt of mine was dropping the "n" word like nobody's business and thought nothing of it, it's just how she was brought up....my DH was like I kind of had to laugh, because knowing this aunt I expected what was coming out of her mouth...

My girls are aware of race, and we do talk about political issues with them, such as gay marriage, etc...we have gay friends who have kids that our girls are friends with and they have asked why so and so has two moms... well, we explained that all families are different and unfortunately not everyone is treated equally and what matters is that there is love....then we pointed out that about 50-60 years ago, mommy and daddy wouldn't have been able to marry because of our skin color....it really clicked with them then.

I am glad I am raising my kids to be tolerant of others and I think that the majority of people do, but there are those bad apples out there...

Anyway, I just totally rambled....probably too deep for a Tuesday night....

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: