Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
WDBRDWLK
Nana to Princesses Maya and Orion and Prince Joel.

dcv and gratuities

I heard that dvc members who use points to book a cruise are automatically charged the gratuities to your stateroom even if you don't use the sit down restaurants. Can someone verify this?
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDBRDWLK View Post
I heard that dvc members who use points to book a cruise are automatically charged the gratuities to your stateroom even if you don't use the sit down restaurants. Can someone verify this?
While I don't know the specifics of the DVC reservations as to whether the tips are automatically added, not using the sit down restaurants has nothing to do with tipping.

I do know that gratuties are added to your onboard account at the beginning of the cruise for everyone.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
WDBRDWLK

Thanks. I guess that makes sense. Those cast members rely on gratuities as part of their income. Many of them send money home to their families. Any recommendation of what to do for someone who has gone above and beyond their duties?
Old 11-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. I guess that makes sense. Those cast members rely on gratuities as part of their income. Many of them send money home to their families. Any recommendation of what to do for someone who has gone above and beyond their duties?
The gratuties cover your room host, dining room servers (main & assistant), and head server.

The dining room servers also work the buffet and quick serve locations (as well as clean up poolside areas), so they will be doing stuff for you even if you don't frequent the MDR for dinner.

Extra cash is always appreciated. And a mention by name (and what they did to make your cruise special) on the comment card goes a long way toward extra time off and promotions.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
WDBRDWLK

We just got off the Dream on Sunday and had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect and the seas calm. Although we did not eat in any of the main dining rooms this time we did enjoy the food. We opted to d o more things on the ship. There is so much to see and do that our next cruise in April will give us time to eat in one or two. We have done ten Disney cruises..yay we are now platinum castaway club members!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As above, EVERYONE is automatically charged the standard gratuities to their KTTW account--makes no difference whether you booked on DVC points or cash. The CMs in tipped positions depend almost totally on tips for income.

What to do for someone who made your life extra Magical? Add some cash to the tip envelope or go to GS and increase the tip (this takes only a minute). Mention them by name on your evaluation (along with department or position and/or country....like Mary from England in the Oceaneer's Club. Or, if the situation warrants, write a letter to DCL Guest Relations when you get home, telling them about this person. A few comments can equal an extra hour off or other small perk, and all comments are maintained in their employment file. Enough positives adds up to raises and promotions.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo
Quote:

Originally Posted by WDBRDWLK

While I don't know the specifics of the DVC reservations as to whether the tips are automatically added, not using the sit down restaurants has nothing to do with tipping.

I do know that gratuties are added to your onboard account at the beginning of the cruise for everyone.
bolding is mine...
Well I had a cash account on my last cruise (this past Nov) after I used our OBC and I checked it each day...the gratuties were not charged at the beginning of our cruise. They were charged the last afternoon of our cruise. I still have my statement showing the date and I can tell compared to when I made other purchases. We were on the Dream. So not sure if that makes a difference either. But it definitely wasn't the first day of our cruise.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: