Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
leighi123
Earning My Ears

In-room gifts - wine question

My family is going on a cruise and I wanted to surprise my dad with a bottle of wine, the ones you can order as 'in room gifts', pay for them in advance and have them sent to the cabin. Except I don't know a thing about wine!

I know he likes very dry wine, no sweet stuff. He is really big into wine so I want to make sure to get a good one.

So... do any wine knowledgable people have an idea as to which I should choose?
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

I'm absolutely no expert, but the Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio would be drier. All the wines they list for in-room gifts are waaaay overpriced, though.
msbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
leighi123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbiscuit View Post
I'm absolutely no expert, but the Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio would be drier. All the wines they list for in-room gifts are waaaay overpriced, though.
I figured they were over priced! But is that the only way to do it?

Maybe I'll just get my mom the $15 day pass to rainforest and call it good.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry, I didn't even think about the red wines. (Sometimes my fingers start typing without my brain being in control) Which does your dad prefer?
Another idea would be to check out the wine packages. They're a good value and he can choose a different bottle each night at dinner. They have a better variety, as well. That way you give a great surprise and don't have to worry about choosing the right wine yourself!
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

Not sure if you're cruising out of Port Canaveral, but here is a place that creates and delivers gift baskets.

http://www.theperfectgift.cc

It is Gift Baskets by Shirley and if you search the forum, you'll find a thread devoted to ideas for gift baskets. It looks like the company does a nice job and they can include wine!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123
My family is going on a cruise and I wanted to surprise my dad with a bottle of wine, the ones you can order as 'in room gifts', pay for them in advance and have them sent to the cabin. Except I don't know a thing about wine!

I know he likes very dry wine, no sweet stuff. He is really big into wine so I want to make sure to get a good one.

Just been looking at the wine gifts as am going to get a bottle of champagne for my parents (for their 50th anniversary). If I was choosing from the whites it would be the Chardonnay, and we like dry wine!
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
leighi123
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Not sure if you're cruising out of Port Canaveral, but here is a place that creates and delivers gift baskets.

http://www.theperfectgift.cc

It is Gift Baskets by Shirley and if you search the forum, you'll find a thread devoted to ideas for gift baskets. It looks like the company does a nice job and they can include wine!

Yep, going out of Canaveral. I saw those earlier today and they look REALLY overpriced from the pics of the kids ones I saw - it looked like dollar store stuff + candy in those. The adult ones might be better though? It says on their website they start at $75. I really just want the wine, don't really need snacks or other things, there is plenty of food on the ship!

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't even think about the red wines. (Sometimes my fingers start typing without my brain being in control) Which does your dad prefer?
Another idea would be to check out the wine packages. They're a good value and he can choose a different bottle each night at dinner. They have a better variety, as well. That way you give a great surprise and don't have to worry about choosing the right wine yourself!
They like both red and white, but probably drink a lot more red - it depends on whats for dinner! We've traveled all over the world so he has tried it all.

Can you get the package deal ahead of time as a 'gift' though? I'm thinking my dad will probably have already signed up for that anyways, he did on the RCI cruise we went on. My parents are paying for the cruise for the six of us (me, my son, my grandparents, and my parents). Only my parents will drink the wine, possibly grandma will have a glass, but grandpa doesn't like it and neither do I!
Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
msbiscuit
Mouseketeer

Good point about the extra snacks - who needs 'em?!
If he drinks more reds, I guess I'd go with the Kendall Jackson Cabernet. It seems to get a decent review.
I'm sure that no matter which one you choose, he'll appreciate the thought you were expressing!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #9
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Proceed with caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post

The answer really depends ont he type of wine your father likes, white, red, blush, zinfandel, cabernet, pinot noir, merlot, etc.. the list goes on. If her really likes wine then he probably will only enjoy one type and one grape. I would suggest maybe another gift, or if you are going on the same cruise, as your mother what type of wine he prefers and then go to the local package store and ask the wine guys there for good recommendations for the price range you are willing to pay, then carry on board and bring it to his room nicely wrapped up for a surprise gift.

Disney World: 1978, 1995, 2010 PORS, 2011 POFQ, 2012 CBR, 2014 PORS

Disney Cruise Line: Disney Dream, May 2013, Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015.
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

OP, if you are going on the cruise too, could you just bring a bottle of wine onboard yourself (possibly in a cute Mickey fabric bag or gift bag), and avoid the upcharge of buying it from Disney? You could ask their room steward to sneak it in there.
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
MomsOf2boys
Has obsessive finger chatter disorder

If you are wanting him to take it to dinner you may want to get one onboard...there is a $20 cork fee which brings their wine back in price. Unless he will just carry a glass. The bottle is nice because they will bring it out the next night if unfinished.
Grew up at Disneyland...Raised my kids at Disney World...Had a little Wonder in Oct 04, Had a Magical week with a great group of DISers in Oct 07! We enjoyed dreaming aboard the DREAM in '12! Why Not Have Halloween Weekend 2014 on the Dream?!!
MomsOf2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighi123 View Post
I figured they were over priced! But is that the only way to do it?

Maybe I'll just get my mom the $15 day pass to rainforest and call it good.
That would be my suggestion...
Old 11-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Can you go to a wine store before you board and have them recommend a good bottle? (Not sure if you are driving or flying)
I would think that you could get a much better bottle for the price you pay DCL. Then slip down to your room before everyone goes to check in and have your stateroom host put it in the room for you along with glasses (or have him deliver it to the room with glasses)?

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
TracyLilly
Devoted Disney Husband

My wife and I are considering purchasing a bottle of wine OB. Based on personal experience, what is the best one overall to have at dinner?
TracyLilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: