Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
chris4disney
Yes, I'm a Disney freak... and I'm okay with that.

Picky 10 year old ordering from kids menu ??

This year our son will turn 10 years old and will be considered an adult at Disney. Not one of my more happier Disney moments. We get the DDP on our annual trips, so I know that if we choose to continue getting the DDP that we will have to pay the adult price for him from now on. Unfortunately our son is quite a picky eater and at many of the table service restaurants he would be happy with just the hot dog off the kids menu. If we opt NOT to do the DDP and just pay out of pocket for our meals on our next trip, will Disney allow my son to order off the kids menu... assuming that nothing on the adult menu excites him? Now obviously if we go to a buffet I expect to pay the adult price for him... even when he only eats a couple chicken tenders and scoop of mashed potatoes. But if we're ordering a la cart off the menu, what our my options?

TIA

Oct. 2013 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Dec. 2012 BCV & BWV Boardwalk View!! MVMCP, La NOUBA, Oct. 2011 BLT & BCV 10th Anniversary trip! F&W, KTTK Tour , Oct. 2010 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Sep. 2009 POP Free Dining, F&W, Oct. 2008 BCV & BWV F&W, MNSSHP, Jan. 2008 AKL Our first ADULTS ONLY trip!, Oct. 2007 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Nov. 2006 POR MVMCP, Sep. 2005 AS-Sports Free Dining , Nov. 2004 AKL Platinum Plan
chris4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4disney
This year our son will turn 10 years old and will be considered an adult at Disney. Not one of my more happier Disney moments. We get the DDP on our annual trips, so I know that if we choose to continue getting the DDP that we will have to pay the adult price for him from now on. Unfortunately our son is quite a picky eater and at many of the table service restaurants he would be happy with just the hot dog off the kids menu. If we opt NOT to do the DDP and just pay out of pocket for our meals on our next trip, will Disney allow my son to order off the kids menu... assuming that nothing on the adult menu excites him? Now obviously if we go to a buffet I expect to pay the adult price for him... even when he only eats a couple chicken tenders and scoop of mashed potatoes. But if we're ordering a la cart off the menu, what our my options?

TIA
Unless something has changed, your son will have no problem ordering from the kids menu.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
shoney
DIS Veteran

When we went last year, we had the free DDP. We opted to buy ds10 a kids meal at most restaurants and just used his extra credits towards additional meals. It was never a problem....of course these weren't the buffets or all you care to eat places.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
chris4disney
Yes, I'm a Disney freak... and I'm okay with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
When we went last year, we had the free DDP. We opted to buy ds10 a kids meal at most restaurants and just used his extra credits towards additional meals. It was never a problem....of course these weren't the buffets or all you care to eat places.
Interesting... not a bad idea! Now I may have to re-crunch the numbers to see if that would work better for us. We also have a 7 year old daughter and for her age, I feel like the dining plan is still a great deal for the price. There's just such a jump in price in the DDP between child and adult. They need a junior catagory that's priced in between the two.

Oct. 2013 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Dec. 2012 BCV & BWV Boardwalk View!! MVMCP, La NOUBA, Oct. 2011 BLT & BCV 10th Anniversary trip! F&W, KTTK Tour , Oct. 2010 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Sep. 2009 POP Free Dining, F&W, Oct. 2008 BCV & BWV F&W, MNSSHP, Jan. 2008 AKL Our first ADULTS ONLY trip!, Oct. 2007 BCV F&W, MNSSHP, Nov. 2006 POR MVMCP, Sep. 2005 AS-Sports Free Dining , Nov. 2004 AKL Platinum Plan
chris4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Yep - we have a picky 11 year old here. I just can't see the DDP making sense now. Plus the 6 & 9 year old are not huge eaters and could probably share a meal & be fine.

If my kids had great appetites at this age, i think i would have to reconsider the DDP.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Freezing Cold B
Mouseketeer

My grandma orders off the kids menu, and she has never had trouble . I have also ordered off it a few times, as I always explain I am a vegetarian and sometimes the only vegetarian options (besides salads which tend to make me sick) are on the kids menu.

My homes away from home: Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Grand Californian

Me (27) DBF(29) DM DSD
Freezing Cold B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Brook1099
DIS Veteran

I would also get the DDP for your son but would definately pay OOP for any kids meals. You would just have to calculate from where you are going before you book your dining, you may be able to add more dining or at least a signature into your plans depending on how many kids meals he will be eating you dontwant to lose any credits. If you have any buffets planned you wouldnt want to have to pay OOP for him at those restaraunts, so high priced.

Now that both our children are considered adults ( and agree there should be a junior price) we starting using TIW and love it.

Last edited by Brook1099; 01-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Brook1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #8
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

If not using a credit, he can order from either menu. We also had no problem with our 10 year old son using his adult credit but ordering from the kids menu. They just gave him a larger portion of the kid food. Just be sure to be clear with your servers and make sure it is ok at that restaurant. I did not state that that is what I wanted at Rose and Crown and we ended up being charged for the kids meal. It wasn't a big deal, we just used that credit at another meal.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
vtownpatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: