Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3boyz View Post
I'm sorry, I was going to back off of this discussion, but couldn't help myself.

I'm a computer programmer and have my MBA. A system used by customer service is one of the tools used to support the customer. It supports the "person-to-person" interaction and is part of the customer service function. To suggest that the reservation system is somehow separate makes no sense. If it doesn't work correctly or is not supplying the correct information, it translates to a less than satisfying customer experience. If the systems aren't sychronized, it suggests to a normal customer that either the company or the agent does not know what they are doing.

If you add more agents, more people can be serviced in a given period of time.

Maybe the OP should have done this or that differently, but I think that people should expect a certain level of service - reasonable wait times, knowledgeable agents, and correct information. If the rooms are available, and the agent says they're not and can't book them, it's a problem. And it is not good customer service.

I have been going to Disney since 1989, and in that time period, have noticed that both quality and customer service have deteriorated. We do continue to go, but probably have lowered our expectations. I understand that as long as people tolerate a lesser standard of quality and service, and Disney is satisfied with the number of bookings, visitors, and revenue, it won't change.

As for the OP, I would suggest that you make sure to do one of their surveys, or provide feedback in some way concerning your frustration with your experience, and perhaps some improvements can be made in the future.
Most of the time that is what is received. There will always be unexpected busy times where the waits are long and the caller:CM ratio is low, or where the CM gives incorrect information. It happens.

It's not the norm. People may not be 'settling for a lesser standard' they're just accepting of the fact that things happen every now and again.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

A tool used to support the customer isn't the customer service. And paying enough people to work a given shift so one person won't have to be on hold for eighty minutes (which could have been a technical - aka programming - glitch, as someone indicated) is fiscally irresponsible.

Freed-up dining availability goes back into the live reservationists systems overnight. It's understandable that freed-up room reservations would work the same. And it makes absolute sense that any company wouldn't risk allowing its customers access to its internal or proprietary systems/programming - so they'd have another system for customer use entirely.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #18
lbv7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post
A tool used to support the customer isn't the customer service. And paying enough people to work a given shift so one person won't have to be on hold for eighty minutes (which could have been a technical - aka programming - glitch, as someone indicated) is fiscally irresponsible.
Your definition of what Customer Service is baffling, and it is the first time I have ever heard someone say that communication or trying to communicate with a company representative over the phone has nothing to do with Customer Service.
lbv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
Christopher Robin 26
Mouseketeer

Just to update. I was able to get through in only 15 mins. By going through the new reservation line. The cast member I spoke with was very helpful. He also did not understand why the first agent could not book me a room that I was able to book online. He apologized for any inconvenience, confirmed my new reservation and cancelled my old. All is good and I gave that particular cast member a very good survey after the call.
AKL Aug 10
Christopher Robin 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #20
Christopher Robin 26
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbv7
Your definition of what Customer Service is baffling, and it is the first time I have ever heard someone say that communication or trying to communicate with a company representative over the phone has nothing to do with Customer Service.
I am in the customer service business and if we don't answer the phone within so many minutes and help our customers to their satisfaction, believe me we will hear about it when we get surveyed. Customer service is just that whether in person or over the telephone. What I experienced with Disney was bad customer service.
AKL Aug 10
Old 11-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
luvmy3boyz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr View Post

Freed-up dining availability goes back into the live reservationists systems overnight. It's understandable that freed-up room reservations would work the same. And it makes absolute sense that any company wouldn't risk allowing its customers access to its internal or proprietary systems/programming - so they'd have another system for customer use entirely.
What?

Again, the computer system is required by the agent to support the customer. It IS part of the customer service function. If the system doesn't work, or is incorrect, it adversely affects the service provided to the customer, and the customer is unhappy.

However they do it now, they could keep the systems in synch. So what if they're separate systems? Update them at the same time so that their information is the same. Whoever suggested allowing people access to internal or proprietary information?

And you're assuming that this excessive wait time happened to only one customer in whatever time period. I'm suggesting, through recent personal experiences, that long wait times are not exceptions any more, and that Disney could do a better job supporting the customer (while being "fiscally responsible" ). And, if it is a glitch, fix it, because it can happen again. Being a glitch isn't an excuse and doesn't make it any better for a specific customer.

Anyway, obviously this no longer has anything to do with the original post, so I'm out. At least my number of posts increased a little! And I can go back to cleaning up the trees and limbs littering our property.

Magical Disney Trips - Polynesian, Contemporary, Caribbean Beach, Wilderness Lodge, Grand Floridian, Pop Century
luvmy3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

So do restaurants with long waits also provide poor customer service? Is disney also providing poor customer service when you stand in longer lines? A queue is a queue is a queue. Yeah it's a bummer but wait your turn.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

It's a sign of the times. I registered for a routine x-ray on Friday. It took 53 minutes AFTER I was called to the clerk's window. 53 minutes!!!!!

First - the woman had computer issues. It really was going crazy on her. We got a few good laughs over this.

Finally - the computer woke up! She finished registering me, then the printer went completely down. She could do nothing until it was fixed. We had a delightful conversation while we waited for someone to fix the printer, but it was getting annoying for all. There was a line of people behind me waiting to register for procedures.

53 minutes to register for an x-ray! Oh, my!!!!!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience OP, but am glad it was fixed and all worked out.

I don't care what you call it, it's frustrating for customers to have to wait on hold for such a ridiculously long time. It's also frustrating that Disney's website online availability is different than what their own travel agents have access to, regardless of wheher you were aware of this or not (I had never heard this). It's not like the OP is demanding a free trip or something crazy because of this experience. I think it's worth venting/complaining about.
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Christopher Robin 26
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83
I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience OP, but am glad it was fixed and all worked out.

I don't care what you call it, it's frustrating for customers to have to wait on hold for such a ridiculously long time. It's also frustrating that Disney's website online availability is different than what their own travel agents have access to, regardless of wheher you were aware of this or not (I had never heard this). It's not like the OP is demanding a free trip or something crazy because of this experience. I think it's worth venting/complaining about.
Thank you: ).
AKL Aug 10
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

I do not feel as though the wait times are an isolated incident. I have tried to call 3 times last week, each time was at a different time of the day and after waiting 45 mins. minimum on all 3 calls I gave up, hung up with the intent of calling again. All I want to do is make a small upgrade to my reservation, and we leave in 30 days! I am sorry, but I am tired of being on hold (or as I call it "IGNORE") for 45 min. that is unacceptable, so when I do finally get thru tomorrow, trust me I will do a survey and if it takes me 45 minutes again, I will let them know.

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The availability the customer sees should be the same as what the agent sees. Fix your systems.
I'm not sure it's a fix situation. I've always understood the phone system to be DIFFERENT than the online system. There are perks you can get with packages (at least in the past) that are different based on if you book online vs on the phone. That indicates they are different, and they are supposed to be separate.

Therefore, it would make sense to me that the phone TA can't see everything that's online, because they are, in effect, different companies.

It works that way at Disneyland, too.

It would be like calling Disney's phone TAs and expecting to see what Expedia was showing; they are different, and they cannot see the same thing.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #28
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Sorry, it IS horrble customer sevice.

The availability the customer sees should be the same as what the agent sees. Fix your systems.

And, no-one should be waiting 2 hours on hold anywhere. Unacceptable. If it's a busy time and some customers tie up agents for long periods of time, have more agents available. There is an industry standad for average time to answer, and Disney is clearly not meeting it.

I love Disney, just returned from a wonderful trip in September, but I agree with the original poster. Disney's customer service is no longer what it used to be when they were viewed as the gold standard of customer service.

I bolded
Can it be that the powers that be have made so many changes...that the "feelings" that the CMS are expressing in general or the overall feelings guests are experienceing is going downhill due to the cutbacks fof cms, I dont know...but the recent changes for example the opening Starbucks on Main Street comes to mind...what about the old Disney feeling of ESCAPISM, Starbucks, really??? Seems like $$$ is the Disney Feeling now, not family time, etc...is it just me, or is it an Overall decline in all things Disney...KWIM?
I feel like it is not the same as years past...we know its a business, its there to make money...BUT if your Advertising for Eons is about the TOP customer Service, the Best Place on Earth...etc....the standards better stay that way....
Could just be me,,,,but I have seen these downward changes in the last few years overall...and I for one, dont like it...so I visit less....which saddens me honestly....I wanna keep that "disney feeling" and if that means remembering it from the past....so be it I suppose....
Maybe Im just tired, its late afterall.??
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #29
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

It always makes me laugh when people get so caught up in semantics they stop seeing the forest for the trees.

'Bad Customer Service'. 'Under-staffed call centre'. 'Incompatible computer systems'. Whatever you want to call it, the OP was inconvenienced and rightfully annoyed.
I'm pleased to hear though that it's now all sorted and Disney came out good in the end. :-)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: