Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
pampam
DIS Veteran

Black Friday Deals in Canada??

I seem to remember a few stores in Canada with black Friday deals last year. Yes, I know our Thanksgiving was a month ago. But I just thought I'd ask if anyone knows of anything happening here in Canada for the Friday after the American Thanksgiving.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

According to DSis, who used to work in Sears in Ont., 'official Christmas shopping' starts on Nov. 11 in the afternoon--when the Remembrance Day ceremonies are over.

The Black Friday thing is not so much of an issue in Canada. You may find some deals online (?), but I wouldn't expect any in a brick and mortar store, any more than I would look for Boxing Day sales in the U.S., KWIM?

Before visiting the DIS online, I never heard of BF.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
pampam
DIS Veteran

I know what you mean. Yet last year, I'm sure, there were black Friday sales in Canada to urge people not to to to USA but to shop here.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
greenclan67
Callie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
I know what you mean. Yet last year, I'm sure, there were black Friday sales in Canada to urge people not to to to USA but to shop here.
I remember the ads as well! I have never gone black Friday shopping, I always go the weekend before BF, less crazy, still some good deals! Not the knock everyone over, and stay up all night in lines, in cold deals, but decent shopping for what I was looking for!

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

There were lots of good deals online last year. Google Canada Black Friday deals.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
According to DSis, who used to work in Sears in Ont., 'official Christmas shopping' starts on Nov. 11 in the afternoon--when the Remembrance Day ceremonies are over.

The Black Friday thing is not so much of an issue in Canada. You may find some deals online (?), but I wouldn't expect any in a brick and mortar store, any more than I would look for Boxing Day sales in the U.S., KWIM?

Before visiting the DIS online, I never heard of BF.
Lots of marketing and promotions in our local malls, plazas, Big Box stores, etc. They've been advertising for weeks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
There were lots of good deals online last year. Google Canada Black Friday deals.
Yup!

Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 05-29-2013 at 09:45 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
rjan67
Mouseketeer

Not sure about stores here but keep a watch online. Even with the shipping it can sometimes be worth your while. This year I am thinking I will brave the lines in the U.S. (I live on the border) as I'm looking for a good deal on a Dyson vacuum!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

I heard a radio announcement that the malls (I am in Toronto) are going to be open late on BF.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

Usualy, Best Buy does a black friday online.

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Can't belive you never heard of Black Friday, but I would assume you don't live in a city that has any US influences then?

Here in Southwestern Ontario, there are very big Black Friday deals. Lots of marketing and promotions in our local malls, plazas, Big Box stores, etc. They've been advertising for weeks now.

Yup!

Tiger
They even have Black Friday deals in the UK!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #11
ls15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjan67 View Post
Not sure about stores here but keep a watch online. Even with the shipping it can sometimes be worth your while. This year I am thinking I will brave the lines in the U.S. (I live on the border) as I'm looking for a good deal on a Dyson vacuum!
First, a Dyson will change your life! Amazing, love it.

But to note, when I bought mine, Dyson was in the group that when you take it over the border, the warranty becomes void. Because a Dyson perk is its long warranty, that might be something you want to consider. I would call them and see if that is still their policy before you buy it in the US!

1993 - Port Orleans (which is now POFQ) with parents, sister
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (doing Princess 1/2 Marathon)

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Can't belive you never heard of Black Friday, but I would assume you don't live in a city that has any US influences then?

Here in Southwestern Ontario, there are very big Black Friday deals.

Yup!

Tiger
Seriously, I had never heard of BF before joining the DIS. We don't live near a border. I think we are about two hours from the closest U.S. border, and even further from Southwestern Ontario.

I am not one for 'retail therapy', but I don't recall ever seeing any local BF ads. I am more on the lookout for good Boxing Day and January sales, as I have very few Christmas presents to buy.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
papertraveller
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to also watch and scout around for Black Friday airline deals. One of my friends got a fantastic deal on flights for four to Paris over March break.
2009 WDW @ Poly;
2010 Aboard the Disney Magic (Eastern); August first trip home @ BLT; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2011 AKL Kidani; Vero Beach; Disney Magic (Western); BLT ; MNSSHP @ BLT; Marriott's Royal Palms;
2012 Beach Club Villas; Wilderness Lodge; Disney Magic (Eastern); Vero Beach; BLT; Marriott's Grande Vista;
2013 BLT; Disney Fantasy (Eastern); Wilderness Lodge; OKW-BLT; December Marriott's Cypress Harbor;
2014 OKW; Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve; BLT; Wilderness Lodge; Boardwalk; Saratoga Springs; DVC Member Cruise
papertraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
rjan67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls15 View Post
First, a Dyson will change your life! Amazing, love it.

But to note, when I bought mine, Dyson was in the group that when you take it over the border, the warranty becomes void. Because a Dyson perk is its long warranty, that might be something you want to consider. I would call them and see if that is still their policy before you buy it in the US!
Thanks, I will check into that! I usually don't worry too much about that as I would ship it back through the U.S. and hasn't been a problem - but will definitely check.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
ls15
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjan67 View Post
Thanks, I will check into that! I usually don't worry too much about that as I would ship it back through the U.S. and hasn't been a problem - but will definitely check.
Good luck! Either way, you'll definitely love the Dyson!

1993 - Port Orleans (which is now POFQ) with parents, sister
2011 - Port Orleans Riverside with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (did Princess 1/2 Marathon)
2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter with mom (doing Princess 1/2 Marathon)

Feel free to ask questions about dining with celiac, dairy/soy/egg allergies, and eating vegan, as well as getting around in a wheelchair with MS.

Read a detailed play-by-play about our trip, including all of the food for our allergens, celiac, and veganism at my blog.
ls15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: