Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #76
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I think I may have said that before, but it is worth repeating! I want to stay at AKL so much now! Iíll just have to live through your pictures! I always wondered about the smell there, myself. Itís good to know that if we ever do stay there, the animal smell isnít overpowering. Your room is beautiful and I think I would spend a lot of time on that balcony, too! Thatís so cute that you think you look vain by posting pictures of yourself! I think it is a nice change from most TRs and PTRs that I read. Most reports have so many pictures of kids Ė I am VERY guilty of this myself Ė and hardly any pictures of the adults! Itís cool to see who is actually writing the report, you know? In any case, you look so pretty in both of those dresses! I love florals! Did your hair grow that much since January, or did the pink wash out? Anyway, you look gorgeous and the pictures of you and Rey together are very nice, too!

Your evening at DTD looked like it was fun and the stuff from Babycakes looked delish! Sorry about your mini-meltdown! It isnít a vacation unless we have one, right? I followed your whole having a bad memory/taking pics/writing in journals/capturing the moment vs. living the moment thing Ė so, clearly, I am a genius! Or, it could be that I just know exactly where you are coming from I have a terrible memory, too.

Oh yeah, sorry about your insomnia, but those 4am lobby pictures are amazing.

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #77
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Oh Karen you bus ramble has me worried! DH and I are staying at AKL in January. We drove last year so we didn't have to deal with the buses. Actually we did take the bus FROM AK to ASMUSIC once and we literally waited for the bus for 45 minutes. I'm debating renting a car. Hmmm.

Great update though. I love all the pictures of AKL, especially the 4am shots. You look great by the way!! Congrats on the weight loss. I've lost 20 lbs since my last trip. Hoping to be down 5 more by January.

-Amanda
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #78
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the weight loss... That is super awesome... and I think its nice to see photos of the author of the report... as a mom I know I'm guilty of having tons of photos of my kids... and many many less of me...*hmmm.note to self...

YOUR PHOTOS are stunning ... they really are... we stayed at the AKL in 2009 and I am homesick for it after looking at your photos ... it has a really strong resort feel... it really is lovely...

Hmmm... those cakes from babycakes look pretty good... that's the gluten free bakery isn't it? Were they as good as they look?

I always miss that Margarita bar in DTD... I'll have to rectify that... Kudos on being carded...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #79
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

Your photos are AMAZING!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #80
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! I think I may have said that before, but it is worth repeating! I want to stay at AKL so much now! Iíll just have to live through your pictures! I always wondered about the smell there, myself. Itís good to know that if we ever do stay there, the animal smell isnít overpowering. Your room is beautiful and I think I would spend a lot of time on that balcony, too! Thatís so cute that you think you look vain by posting pictures of yourself! I think it is a nice change from most TRs and PTRs that I read. Most reports have so many pictures of kids Ė I am VERY guilty of this myself Ė and hardly any pictures of the adults! Itís cool to see who is actually writing the report, you know? In any case, you look so pretty in both of those dresses! I love florals! Did your hair grow that much since January, or did the pink wash out? Anyway, you look gorgeous and the pictures of you and Rey together are very nice, too!

Your evening at DTD looked like it was fun and the stuff from Babycakes looked delish! Sorry about your mini-meltdown! It isnít a vacation unless we have one, right? I followed your whole having a bad memory/taking pics/writing in journals/capturing the moment vs. living the moment thing Ė so, clearly, I am a genius! Or, it could be that I just know exactly where you are coming from I have a terrible memory, too.

Oh yeah, sorry about your insomnia, but those 4am lobby pictures are amazing.
Thanks Erin! Yep, insomnia has its perks! My hair: The pink came out for the most part and I color my hair, so the brown just covered it up. I think it looks a lot longer b/c the pink made it look shorter? I haven't had it cut though, so it has grown a bit! I'm liking it long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Oh Karen you bus ramble has me worried! DH and I are staying at AKL in January. We drove last year so we didn't have to deal with the buses. Actually we did take the bus FROM AK to ASMUSIC once and we literally waited for the bus for 45 minutes. I'm debating renting a car. Hmmm.

Great update though. I love all the pictures of AKL, especially the 4am shots. You look great by the way!! Congrats on the weight loss. I've lost 20 lbs since my last trip. Hoping to be down 5 more by January.

-Amanda
I really wouldn't worry too much! If you CAN get a car, then more power to you, I think we may get one next time we go to WDW. Not b/c of AKL buses, but just the bus system in general. I think there are more people visiting WDW than ever and they haven't really added more to accommodate the increase...but I know some people totally love the buses and don't mind. I'm not a waiter, so waiting for 10 minutes, even, is frustrating for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Congrats on the weight loss... That is super awesome... and I think its nice to see photos of the author of the report... as a mom I know I'm guilty of having tons of photos of my kids... and many many less of me...*hmmm.note to self...

YOUR PHOTOS are stunning ... they really are... we stayed at the AKL in 2009 and I am homesick for it after looking at your photos ... it has a really strong resort feel... it really is lovely...

Hmmm... those cakes from babycakes look pretty good... that's the gluten free bakery isn't it? Were they as good as they look?

I always miss that Margarita bar in DTD... I'll have to rectify that... Kudos on being carded...
Thanks! I really like babycakes...BUT...you cannot compare them to other WDW cupcakes. It's not fair anyway, since they are gluten free/vegan, but I think they are fantastic for being "special". They are also way lower in calories than a regular WDW cupcake...I looked it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
Your photos are AMAZING!!!
Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #81
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Ok folks, I'm having some computer issues, so I'm hoping my whole computer doesn't crash and leave me hanging here! It's very old and making noise. I'm having trouble editing shots from a photo shoot yesterday, so I'm worried it's just going to crash and die. I do have things backed up on an external, but they are not easy to get to!

So, where were we? Oh yes, the bus stop for MK!

The bus stop was nearly empty, as you can see from my previous picture, and it was 7:20. We had an 8:25 ADR for Crystal Palace, so we were giving ourselves a lot of time. The bus pulled up right away! What luck! Or not.

It had gone to Kidani first, so those of us at the bus stop at Jambo ended up standing. It wasn't really an issue, it was morning and I was excited! What was an issue was the sprinkle of raindrops that started to hit the front windshield of the bus right around the MK entrance.

Rey welcomed the rain, he thought it would cut down on crowds...do you think he was right???

This was a passholder day for FLE, and they had extended the hours to 8am-1am, so we were concerned about crowds. We walked up to what I thought was opening ceremony, but there were really no people going into the park at all??? Hey, I think Rey was right! There might be something to this rain! It was just a tiny sprinkle, starting and stopping, so totally doable!

We got a PP card and had our picture taken. I didn't do a share this time, I figured I would just have them use my camera for a shot as well. Last trip we did a PP share and although I did use some of the shots, I had nearly dupicates (for free) with the shots that they took with MY camera. After all, I use the same camera as PP Photographers! Well, I didn't really account for the lens factor. This wide angle lens that I rented sure was becoming a PITA!

We entered the park and I nearly gasped! It was decorated for Christmas!!!!!!! I knew that the lights on the castle would be going up during our trip, but didn't realize all the decorations would as well! What a magical surprise!!!

So, we had a couple more PP shots taken. I looked at the ones done with my camera/wide angle and you couldn't even see the castle! It made us so big that our whole bodies covered the castle. They are cute shots, but when I saw these next two pics on my PP card when I got home, I had to buy them. They are the only two PP shots I bought ($$$) but totally worth it as I love them. I'm already in a PP share for my Feb. trip with Savannah...won't make the same mistake twice!

We moseyed down Main Street, there were really very few people there. In my shot above, it looks like a lot, but it was a group of people in a tour of some kind. They were dressed up? Anyway, it was starting to sprinkle again, so I had to speed up a bit, wanted to get the camera out of the rain!

Right after the PP shot above, it started raining enough that the PP Photographer said "oh, I'm done!" and headed off. I did the same, I RAN (poncho was still packed up) to CP...Rey walked in the rain. He likes rain, but then again, he doesn't have an expensive camera that's going to get soaked!
We didn't have to wait long after checking in, just enough time for some shots!

Love this shot of Rey standing in the rain...

Up next, breakfast with Rey's favorite character!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #82
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I like the rain too as long as isn't pouring. But I also would've run if I'd had my camera out unprotected.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #83
mouseketeer70
Mouseketeer

I don't know much about photography and lenses and shutter speeds and all but I do know that your pictures are fantastic! Love the ones of the empty AKL especially! It may be worth waking up in the middle of the night to get good shots like that with no people in them.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #84
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
I like the rain too as long as isn't pouring. But I also would've run if I'd had my camera out unprotected.
Yep, Rey was annoying me a bit b/c he was acting like the rain was no biggie (REFUSES to wear a poncho...even in pouring rain) and almost acted like I was overeacting when it rained. I don't mind getting wet, I mind my CAMERA getting wet tho!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouseketeer70 View Post
I don't know much about photography and lenses and shutter speeds and all but I do know that your pictures are fantastic! Love the ones of the empty AKL especially! It may be worth waking up in the middle of the night to get good shots like that with no people in them.
Thank you! It was totally worth it, not just for the shots, but it was like being at Disney ALL BY MYSELF! I felt like all of Animal Kingdom Lodge was MINE! It was so peaceful, I loved it.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #85
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

You guys are still reading, right? It's not boring you to death?!?!? (I'm getting paranoid that I'm talking to myself, which is silly, I always talk to myself!)

This was Tuesday, November 6th btw (sometimes I look for days/dates in people's TRs so I can gauge crowds and such)

Right after getting my shot of Rey standing in the rain, they called out name. We were led to our table, which was decorated in honor of our Anniversary, which was nice!

We just love Crystal Palace! I think Rey loves it more than me. I had considered canceling when I thought money would be really tight and he was totally offended, saying that I wouldn't have considered canceling MY choice, Sanaa, but I would cancel HIS?!? I love that he loves CP. I didn't really even feel silly that we didn't have kids with us. I love that about WDW.

Eeyore came to our table before we even went to get our food. I put the camera on auto and let the handler take out pic.

I was ready for food! Last trip I totally missed the puffed french toast?!?! I have no idea what I was thinking, but I totally made up for it this time!
My plate:

Rey's plate:

Ok, I'm going to confess here. I have a sickness. In my brain. I know this is horrible, but when I got my food, I grabbed those strawberries with absolutely no intention of eating them! I just thought they would make the plate look prettier for the picture! What is even funnier is that I realize looking at the shot, I wanted it to look pretty, but then took a bite out of the french toast?!?!? It makes no sense, I guess I couldn't control myself.

I know it was wasteful, Rey thought I was crazy when I told him, but a photographer has to do what a photographer has to do!

So, I was sitting there eating my 2nd plate of puffed french toast, trying to figure out what it tasted like...french toast...donut...and then it hit me! FUNNEL CAKE!!! That's what puffed french toast tastes like to me! It was fabulous, and the stomach ache and bloat for hours to come from stuffing myself was totally worth it.

As we were eating, Tigger came up behind Rey and surprised him. I love how you can tell he still has food in his mouth!

Here's what I don't get about my slow chewing husband though...we had time to stand up, hand the handler my camera...and he STILL hadn't swallowed? I don't know about you, but in that situation, I would have just swallowed it. His parents made him sit and chew for some ungodly amount of time when he was young, I guess it got ingrained in his brain...

Then Piglet came. Piglet is Rey's favorite...I think it's b/c he's pink. Not the sharpest shot, but I love the look on Rey's face here!

It was not very busy that morning, I think a lot of people canceled their ADRs when they realized the park was going to open early that morning. Or maybe it was the rain? I don't know, but I snapped a shot to show there were actually empty tables.

Our breakfast was fantastic, fresh food, relaxed, no worries about RD. I loved it! Oh and I was assaulted by Tigger! I went up to get more puffed french toast and when I came back they were doing the parade. They were coming towards me, so I stepped to the side to get out of the way and Tigger ran up and hugged me! It was fun, I wish Rey had seen it, but he had his back towards me when it happened.

Up next...out into the rain. Time to pull out my poncho!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #86
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

I was wondering why the people in front of you were all dressed up. That is so cool that the attendance was low The food pics from CP are making me so hungry! I havenít had breakfast yet! That is hilarious about the strawberries! Rey looks like an excited little kid in that shot of him and Piglet! Too cute! I love how WDW can bring out the child in all of us!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #87
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Oh, Karen.....of course I am still reading! And look...you have a new follower...

Yep, she wouldn't get off my lap to let me read your report. Spoiled baby dog! She seemed to like that bird almost as much as I did!

You know, I hadn't put CP on my list of ADR's because we really felt rushed the last time we ate there. Maybe I'll give it another try. I do love those characters (and I have so many Pooh stickers for the scrapbook!). See, you get a strawberry for a good pic and I get pictures to go with my scrapbook supplies! Yep....we are sick!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #88
-Hope-
DIS Veteran

I love how much Rey loves CP and Piglet. Sometimes I wonder what having a husband who likes things would be like...
Old 11-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #89
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink-erin-belle View Post
I was wondering why the people in front of you were all dressed up. That is so cool that the attendance was low The food pics from CP are making me so hungry! I havenít had breakfast yet! That is hilarious about the strawberries! Rey looks like an excited little kid in that shot of him and Piglet! Too cute! I love how WDW can bring out the child in all of us!
Me too! Yep, we saw a couple groups like this, (or I guess it could have been the same group twice?) walking around with a guide of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Oh, Karen.....of course I am still reading! And look...you have a new follower...

Yep, she wouldn't get off my lap to let me read your report. Spoiled baby dog! She seemed to like that bird almost as much as I did!

You know, I hadn't put CP on my list of ADR's because we really felt rushed the last time we ate there. Maybe I'll give it another try. I do love those characters (and I have so many Pooh stickers for the scrapbook!). See, you get a strawberry for a good pic and I get pictures to go with my scrapbook supplies! Yep....we are sick!
Awwwww!!! She's so cute! (hence the name, I'm guessing!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
I love how much Rey loves CP and Piglet. Sometimes I wonder what having a husband who likes things would be like...
Yes, but then you have to deal with him liking things you do NOT! I digress...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #90
TinkerbellM6
Living My "Happily Ever After"

LOVING your TR so far!!! Your pictures are INSANELY GORGEOUS! I totally subbed and look forward to reading more...now I am going to go catch up on your previous reports lol!

**IN PROGRESS** PTR Coronado Springs 10/28-11/04 with FREE DINING!

2/26-3/04 Pop Century PTR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: