Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #241
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
I loooove Beaches n' Cream. Now I want some fries! My aunt loved it there so much because she said the fries tasted just like my great grandma made them. So so good. Hopefully you'll enjoy it more the next time you go (because there will be a next time!)
The fries and onion rings were both fantastic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimaroo View Post
EEEEEEE I'm so excited you guys went to Beaches and Cream! And I love that you took the Friendship boat from DHS to Beach Club. Friendship boat riders were one of my favorite things on our trip!

Sigh, I just lovelovelove that area at night. The Boardwalk all lit up is just a beautiful sight to see. I can't wait to be back there again.. ONE MONTH!!!

That's pretty awesome you guys were able to snag seats! When we went, the wait wasn't bad, but we went kind of earlier before the crowds came in... I just love their food! I'm sorry your veggie sandwich wasn't very tasty; I feel like it can be really hard to get a good veggie sandwich at a place more known for its burgers.

I LOVE their onion rings, yum! And Rey's shake looks delish! What was it?? Looks like Strawberry Shortcake or something!

I really enjoyed the No Way Jose but I will say, pitting that against a sundae from Ghirardelli and I'd choose Ghiraradelli. That being said, I'll still probably get it again next trip when we go to Beaches and Cream, haha. Though that shake looks so tasty!

You'll have to let me know your thoughts on the walk from BC to Epcot! I LOVED having Epcot so darn close by on our trip.. I'm with Rey, you guys should stay there next trip.

We really enjoyed the boats, it's something I've done on almost all our trips. Rey LOVED walking from BC to Epcot, he's lost thinking about Germany now, but if we were planning to go back, I know he would want to stay there.

We really loved B&C, I thought it would just be a burger joint, but the theming is so PERFECT, and I thought the food fit the theme so well! I was bummed about not getting to Ghiradelli, it was on my list to do and then we couldn't fit it in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Love the photos of the Boardwalk at dusk/evening... it is so pretty there...

(My fave resorts are the Beach Club/Boardwalk and the Lodges... both the AKL and the WL...) so you you stayed in one and visited one of the others...

Beaches & Cream is absolutely delightful... great atmosphere... but you're right about it not having a lot of veggie options... I had that same sandwich last time...I didn't like it was bad... just nothing to write home/make a special trip for... I do remember thinking there was way to much bread...

The burgers are tasty... but that's not reallly going to help you... The Ice cream is awesome... & the fries and rings are tasty... maybe you should try the veggie burger at some point...

Getting ready to leave is sad...
I was trying not to think about leaving and my stomach ache was distracting me as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Caught up! AKL is so beautiful and relaxing, I'm glad that you were able to get some sun and enjoy it! I've also heard so many great things about Beaches and Cream (but never been there). It's too bad that your sandwich was a let down But the dessert looks delicious!
I'm still in love with AKL, I want to go back so badly! B&C was a lot of fun, it surprised me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
LOVE your pics!
Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
Beaches & Cream looks wonderful. We haven't gotten there yet to eat! Maybe this trip.....
You should definitely try it! I had not really considered it in the past, but I'm glad we went, it's a lot of fun!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #242
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Well folks, all good things must come to an end! I do believe this will be the last update, aside from a wrap-up post. I have a crazy few weeks coming up with petsitting clients out of town for the holidays and then before I know it, Savannah & I will be headed to WDW for our 4 night Mother/Daughter trip!!

When we left off, Rey & I had just finished eating at Beaches & Cream on our last night. My stomach was NOT happy with me. I had been eating whatever I wanted for 3 days and I just felt pretty ill.

We took the beautiful walk again to Epcot, this time in the dark. It was nice but a bit chilly! Rey, naturally, was still talking about staying at BC with the whole family (he has since just talked about Germany, so I guess I'll have to go there before I get Rey back to WDW! EEK!)

You know I wasn't feeling well by the amount of shots I have from this evening. Our first order of business was to find Dylan and Dallas something from their favorite countries! We headed to Japan for Dylan. It was busier that evening than it had been, but I didn't think it was too bad. We found Dylan a tshirt in Japan and some Japanese candy. Then headed towards Italy!

My stomach was pretty upset, so no drinks for me and I was so busy shopping and looking around that I didn't take any pics at all! In Italy, we found Dallas a shirt and some candy. That was pretty painless, and I was glad to have found them something finally. I tried to get back in photo mode and set up a wide angle shot of Germany.

but I just wasn't feeling it, and decided to find a bathroom. OMG, the bathroom was GROSS?!?! Did I just get teleported out of Disney to some horrific bathroom in a mall? Bathroom didn't help at all, so we sat on a bench and talked about our options. It was 8:40. I had high hopes for staying through EMH this last night, but it wasn't going to happen. At the time I wasn't upset about it, we felt like we had seen and done a lot and were ok with heading back to the resort to relax. We took our time walking out, I got another shot I had wanted of China on the way.

Trash cans are my friends in WDW! They make fabulous tripods for nighttime shots!

When we got out to the bus stop, we were shocked at the HUGE line at JUST the AKL bus stop. All the other stops were empty, but AKL waiting area was nearly full. We decided that Epcot bus stop was really awful for AKL this trip. We ended up on the 2nd bus, which really didn't take THAT long, and as we headed out, we could see Illuminations starting.

We stopped in the gift shop for a bit on the way back to the room...I just LOVE AKL gift shop! and then we closed out the evening sitting on the balcony watching some of the animals that were still out and about! IT was fantastic.

I woke up around 5am and went down to the lobby to get our boarding passes printed. I love AKL in the wee hours when it's so empty and quiet. There was a little mixup b/c we were never told we had to call and set up ME for the way back? I don't know if this was something to do with renting points, but it was fine, and they worked it out. I went back upstairs and bundled up to sit on the balcony and watch my last sunrise at AKL. *sniff*

Rey got up and we had a few hours before we had to be downstairs, so we went down to get some food from The Mara. I realized that Rey was getting his "sad to leave" this morning, but it was coming out as GRUMPY. We got down there at 6:50 and although it looked open, apparently they don't open until 7am?? I didn't realize this and it immediately aggravated Rey. THEN we got behind a family that had no clue what they were doing and after waiting in line to pay, were told they couldn't take cash at that register and we had to move to a different line to pay with cash.

Needless to say, Rey was REALLY annoyed at this point, saying The Mara was horrible and Pop food court was way better. I grabbed our food and Rey and headed back up to our happy place...the balcony! What do you do when you are sad to be leaving Disney? GORGE yourself, naturally!

OMG, HOW did we think we could eat this much food??? I have no idea why we got so much, but we paid for it, we could have just gone down to Boma! But, this was more romantic and we sat at our table and chairs (since it was so chilly outside) and had breakfast. Rey calmed down and realized that most of his frustration was just b/c we were leaving.

What was really nice this last morning was not RUSHING to leave. We had plenty of time to sit out on the balcony for over an hour, enjoying our last morning.

We got packed up and eventually headed downstairs to check out and wait for ME. I took some last shots of the lobby and details while waiting. I WILL be back to AKL! I have no idea when, but I will!

We had no problems with ME, we had a very lively bus driver, who was funny and kept me from getting too sad. Our flights home took FOREVER and when we finally got back to St. Louis at 5:30, we had to drive in traffic to get out of the city and 2 hours home. I was in such a foul mood and at one point we had a huge argument driving in traffic...but we both laugh about it now b/c it was totally just the trip-over-blues. We picked up Savannah and were back home to the boys by 8pm. I was so happy to see my kids and be home, but that balcony at AKL is going to be calling my name for quite a while. Truly a magical, romantic, wonderful Anniversary trip!

Wrap up post to come soon, with a couple souvenir pics!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #243
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

It is always so sad when trips come to an end It is especially hard to leave somewhere as beautiful and awesome as AKL! I'm glad that all of the little kinks got worked out and you made it home safe!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #244
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Souvenirs & Final Thoughts...

Ahhhh, I HATE to end this TR! I'm getting sad already b/c I know I'll have one for my trip with Savannah in February, but after that we have NO trips planned! I doubt I will get Rey to agree to a trip back to WDW until we have gone to Germany, and THAT is going to cost a fortune, so I may not end up going back until Savannah's 16th Birthday! I did promise her a trip with her friends for that, but that's 3 1/2 years off!

So, I didn't get a ton of souvenirs, just a few things to commemorate our trip. I ALWAYS get an ornament and a mug. The ornament I found in the AKL gift shop, it was PERFECT and I knew it was exactly the one I wanted as soon as I saw it! It's happily hanging on the tree with my other Disney ornaments!

I could not choose between mugs this time, so I got 2 of them! I love having a souvenir that I use daily, in fact, the animal print one is sitting next to me with my morning coffee, as I type this!

My favorite gem from the trip was my giraffe! Hand carved, and it's on my mantle now. I put my rings on his ears when I take them off.

And last, but not least, my Vinylmation! Danimaroo got me hooked on Vinylmations when I won a contest on her PTR and she sent me "trollie". He's a Norway Troll Vinylmation and he fit perfectly in the small window of my car. Here he is, for reference...

I didn't have a ton of money for souvenirs, but I wanted to get at least 1 vinylmation, so I picked one up in the AKL gift shop. It was pretty fun buying something that would SURPRISE me when I opened it! It ended up being DUMBO!!! I love him! So, I put him in the other window of my car, so I have one on each side! Yes, I'm a dork, but these little triangle windows in my car just SCREAM for the perfect Vinylmation holder!

I don't have pictures of the kids T-shirts that we got them. Dylan had one from Japan, Dallas got one from Italy, and we got Savannah a Cinderella/couture looking shirt. Oh and ZEEBO! ZEEBO (yep, I named him) was found in the AKL gift shop as well and as soon as I saw him, I knew Savannah would love him! She LOVES Zebras and pillow pets...so he was perfect. He even came in handy on the plane ride home.

And here we have come to the end of my Trip Report. It was a fantastic trip, I loved seeing a more relaxed view of Disney. I have always said that there are things for everyone and it certainly delivered on the romantic/couples trip!

Things I might change:
There aren't many things I would change about this trip!
1. I don't think connecting flights are worth it...even if you are TOGETHER. Straight flights from now on for me!

2. I might consider a car when staying at AKL again. I still stand by the buses as a really convenient alternative to driving, especially on a trip like this where we are having drinks!

Gosh... I really cannot think of much else! I guess having more stamina and staying at the parks later would have been nice, but that was mostly physical limitations because of Rey's back and me having a stomach ache the 2nd night! It really was an amazing trip, I wouldn't change much!

I'm not sure I would rent a lens with such a learning curve again. I've rented lenses before that were fine (walk-around-lenses) but this wide angle takes too much time and effort out of my trip when I'm worried about getting the right photos!

Oh...more TIME! But I'm guessing most people, even with 2 week trips, would say that more time is something they would like at Disney!

My favorite things about the trip:

1. ANIMAL KINDGDOM LODGE. Hands down, the best decision of the trip! I will never stay there without a Savanna view, as that was the best part! LOVED the balcony and watching the animals, we truly could have stayed there and never gone to a park. It's quiet and serene, never felt crowded or busy. I have heard people say it's dark...I think it's ROMANTIC. I wouldn't hesitate to go back, but I would love to take the kids too!

2. FOOD & WINE! We went knowing we would spend most of our time at F&W and it did not disappoint! I felt like we had a great variety of things to try (even being a vegetarian) and we really loved having the time alone to enjoy World Showcase that we never seem to get to enjoy with the whole family with us.

3. RELAXING & TAKING IT SLOW! I really never thought I would enjoy a slow trip as much as a ride-filled trip, but with just Rey & I, it was perfect! I never felt rushed, didn't worry about what I was missing, and could take in all the little details and noticed things I never had.

4. POOL BREAK! For me, this was so relaxing and rejuvenating! I've done WDW commando before and come home feeling like I need a vacation. Not this time! I'm going to try and make sure Savannah & I take afternoon pool breaks in February, it's totally worth it to just step back for an hour or two and rest/relax/lay in the SUN!

Thanks for reading everyone and looking at my photos, I have a Pre-trip report going for my mother/daughter trip with Savannah on Feb. 5th, there are tons of photos and ramblings there. Here is the link if you want to chat/read/stay in touch!

The Evil Spell Has Been Broken! A Special Mother/Daughter Feb 2013 PTR

I will DEFINITELY have a TR for that trip as well, although it may be my last for quite some time, so bittersweet! Watch for that as well!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #245
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

So sorry you were feeling sick during that last evening, but like you said, you had done alot and had seen alot. I feel the sadness of leaving just reading your report, but I am looking forward to the planning of the Mom & Daughter trip!!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #246
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
It is always so sad when trips come to an end It is especially hard to leave somewhere as beautiful and awesome as AKL! I'm glad that all of the little kinks got worked out and you made it home safe!
Thanks! I didn't feel AS SAD this trip, only b/c I kept reminding myself that I was coming back in February with Savannah, so that helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoriasmom98 View Post
So sorry you were feeling sick during that last evening, but like you said, you had done alot and had seen alot. I feel the sadness of leaving just reading your report, but I am looking forward to the planning of the Mom & Daughter trip!!
I'm really looking forward to it as well! You should come over there and talk to me, I'm over in my PTR just talking to myself all the time!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #247
Victoriasmom98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Thanks! I didn't feel AS SAD this trip, only b/c I kept reminding myself that I was coming back in February with Savannah, so that helped!

I'm really looking forward to it as well! You should come over there and talk to me, I'm over in my PTR just talking to myself all the time!
OH crap!!! I should really look at your siggie more often. I hadn't even seen the ptr link....grrrr....going over there now.......
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #248
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

I agree with Victoriasmom- I am sad your TR is over too! I love your trip reports! Can't wait to follow the Mother/Daughter trip!

I also generally agree about the bus situation. I guess I'm just impatient & don't like super big crowds, but I find that having a car is so much easier and convienent...especially with kids who are whiny after long days in the park.

I love Vinyls as well- sometimes check your Disney Store if you have them. If there is an unpopular series, they will often give these away free with the purchase of another Vinyl. (Buy one get one free)...and then you can use the 'free' one to trade at Disney. Our mall JUST had this going so I got each of my girls a Vinyl for Christmas & that meant a free one as well- for trading- when we go back next fall.

Off to subscribe to your next trip. And I promise I'll look into the Germany thing. I have to think hard on prices & specifics- as it was 2007- but I'm a scrapbooker and I know I saved a lot of my stuff... so I'll try to hunt it down and find the specific hotel names & such..... it's a start. We can slowly piece the trip together! Ha!

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #249
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker326 View Post
I agree with Victoriasmom- I am sad your TR is over too! I love your trip reports! Can't wait to follow the Mother/Daughter trip!

I also generally agree about the bus situation. I guess I'm just impatient & don't like super big crowds, but I find that having a car is so much easier and convienent...especially with kids who are whiny after long days in the park.

I love Vinyls as well- sometimes check your Disney Store if you have them. If there is an unpopular series, they will often give these away free with the purchase of another Vinyl. (Buy one get one free)...and then you can use the 'free' one to trade at Disney. Our mall JUST had this going so I got each of my girls a Vinyl for Christmas & that meant a free one as well- for trading- when we go back next fall.

Off to subscribe to your next trip. And I promise I'll look into the Germany thing. I have to think hard on prices & specifics- as it was 2007- but I'm a scrapbooker and I know I saved a lot of my stuff... so I'll try to hunt it down and find the specific hotel names & such..... it's a start. We can slowly piece the trip together! Ha!

Happy Holidays!
Oh good! We did some more research today and I'm feeling better about it, but plans are changing fast already! I don't think we're going to do Italy. If we do, it will be just to cross the border to check out something near Germany and be able to say we went to Italy! We area also looking at Salzburg (Austria) and Colmar (France)! I think we are going to rent a car, now if we can just stop arguing over what order we are going some of these towns/cities! Hey, it's progress, at least we have a list going now and are making some decisions!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #250
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Great TR Karen. I can't believe it's over already I looked forward to your updates on a daily basis. I am so much more excited to stay at AKL now. I really hope the resort is a gorgeous as in your pictures!! I hope you have a wonderful Holiday season and look forward to your FEB trip report. -Amanda
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #251
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Great TR Karen. I can't believe it's over already I looked forward to your updates on a daily basis. I am so much more excited to stay at AKL now. I really hope the resort is a gorgeous as in your pictures!! I hope you have a wonderful Holiday season and look forward to your FEB trip report. -Amanda
Thanks Amanda! I KNOW you are going to LOVE IT!!! I hope you come back and report to me about it! Have a fantastic trip!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #252
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to see your gorgeous TR come to an end!!! I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful time!! Can't wait to hear about your next adventure
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #253
Tinker326
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Oh good! We did some more research today and I'm feeling better about it, but plans are changing fast already! I don't think we're going to do Italy. If we do, it will be just to cross the border to check out something near Germany and be able to say we went to Italy! We area also looking at Salzburg (Austria) and Colmar (France)! I think we are going to rent a car, now if we can just stop arguing over what order we are going some of these towns/cities! Hey, it's progress, at least we have a list going now and are making some decisions!
Renting a car will make your trip MUCH easier- I'll hunt down the order we hit different cities (we also did Salzburg for a few hours on our way into Italy). And Dolomites in Italy (right as you cross the border) was my favorite part of Italy! I know we started in Frankfurt, moved to Rottendam...then I believe we did the Black Forest area... before heading to Munich (and doing Dachau)& over to Austria, down to Italy - back up into Switzerland...... I'll see if I can hunt down the hotel name in Rottendam, Munich & Frankfort (our bases in Germany). They were all 'out of city a bit' to make them cheaper. And they all include breakfast.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #254
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

The Avocado Margarita looked interesting! Too bad it wasn’t good. I love blood orange, too, so I would have been disappointed if that one wasn’t really good either. I’m sorry you had a stomach ache your last night I can’t believe we’re at the end of your TR already! It looks like you had a fantastic trip! I like your souvenirs! It is nice to hae something that you can look at or use every day to keep that magic alive. Now, I can’t wait for your mother/daughter trip report to start!

Disney Every Day - An October 2014 PTR
Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #255
JDailey
Mouseketeer

Well it's like you said all good things must come to an end, but I am sad to see this T.R. go!! I am looking forward to the mother/daughter trip though and I will be down a few weeks after you guys get back home.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: