Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:07 AM   #136
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

First of all, Gorgeous Pictures!! I need to get to AKL, it's really just leaving me in awe.

We were in. MK on the 6th! I loved that it rained. It kept the people away, and we did ride Peter Pan with its 5 min.... NO wait line!!

I've eagle eyed the photos and I don't see us. LOL

It actually stayed pretty decent all day.

Spoiler..... We did get into FL soon after you left!!
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #137
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! Sorry I'm so delayed in my responses and an update, I'm SLAMMED with work right now but I found a moment this morning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Hope- View Post
Relaxing at the resort with the hubby, sipping margaritas in the sun... sounds like perfection to me!
It was PERFECT! Every time I think about it or look at the pictures, it takes me right back and I wish we could always stay there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy_74 View Post
Just got in!

Loving your Tr

your picture are amazing
Thank you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsnyMama View Post
Ohhh your afternoon at AKL looks wonderful, wonderful, wonderful - I can't wait! I hope we have nice weather so we can soak up the sun! Though no margaritas for me
I hope you have great weather too! Just a couple days now for you! You could always get a virgin margarita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Hi Just caught up on your report. You take amazingly gorgeous photos!! We stayed at AKL last year, and I felt the same way you did - it is so beautiful and relaxing. I look forward to reading more!
Thank you! Don't you just LOVE it?!?! I'm having a hard time considering any other resorts for future trips b/c I loved it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
What a perfect way to spend an afternoon! Hanging at the pool with cold drinks and awesome animals.

Amanda
It was so great, I just wish we had more days! Next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caretames1 View Post
First of all, Gorgeous Pictures!! I need to get to AKL, it's really just leaving me in awe.

We were in. MK on the 6th! I loved that it rained. It kept the people away, and we did ride Peter Pan with its 5 min.... NO wait line!!

I've eagle eyed the photos and I don't see us. LOL

It actually stayed pretty decent all day.

Spoiler..... We did get into FL soon after you left!!
Ha! I cannot believe we were in the park together! It's really worth a trip over there, just to check it out.

Ok, I'm going to get working on another update, hopefully I can post it before I need to leave for my mid-day petsits!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #138
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Shew! Crazy holiday work for me! I hope everyone had a fantastic Thanksgiving!!!

Can I just say that the buses are MUCH more pleasant when you've had a few drinks by the pool?!?! Yep, we were nice and relaxed headed back to Epcot that evening! We arrived and had to grab a PP picture, naturally!

After a quick shot of Spaceship Earth, we headed straight back to World Showcase! Yep, the front of Epcot got completely ignored by us this trip, Savannah & I will have to make up for that on our trip!

I made a B-line for Greece, I had seen pictures of the grilled cheese and HAD to try it!

OH.MY.AMAZING.GOODNESS! This was so good. I have no idea why I didn't get more other than just wanting to try other things. It had HONEY and pistachios on it! YUM! I will admit that I had heard a lot of complaints about the brown paper food containers this year and I do have to agree that they seem a bit "cheap" but for me, it's a PHOTO-aesthetics issue.

Rey was pretty hungry, so he decided to get an actual "real size" meal before we tried other things. He wanted Fish & Chips, so that's exactly where we headed.

We sat on the curb while he ate (he enjoyed it!) and he watched Mary Poppins from afar. He says next time he'll get his picture with her. Don't ask...he likes Mary Poppins. It's probably the corset.

The "crowds" were awesome! There were people, but it was not busy at all at this point. No idea what time it was, but the sun had not set yet.

When Rey had finished, we headed towards France. I had wanted to "re-take" a picture we had taken in January. I have lost some weight and thought it would be fun to compare, Rey has also cut his hair. BUT...the shot I have was taken with the crazy wide lens b/c I had to pick and choose which PP pics to buy and I liked the other 2 shots I bought better than this one. So this was just taken with the crazy wide lens and the CM didn't really know how to use it.

This was the shot of us in January 2012, just 10 1/2 months previous.

Anyway, it didn't turn out to be the comparison I wanted, but whatever! Can't win 'em all.

Off to get a slushie! I LIVE for the Grey goose slushies in France! Rey got in line to get something from the france booth and pointed out that they had CHERRY slushies, just for the festival! UH, YES PLEASE!!
Rey's meat thing, sorry...I never do pay much attention to the meat dishes!

and my slushie!!!!!! I took a pic with my phone as well and sent it to my BFF, Hope. She loves them as well!

CHEERS!

I'll have to stop there! Running out of time!

Up next...I think I lose my photo-abilities with the more alcohol I consume! Go figure!

Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #139
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Caught up! Even though the picture didn't turn out to be the comparison you wanted, you can definitely tell that you lost weight. Good for you!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #140
MissPrice
Treguna, Makoidees, Trecorum, Sadis Dee!

Karen you are a great trip report writer!! I'm loving the almost daily updates. I know I've said it before, but I can't wait to stay at AKL!!
Your photos just make it seem soo spectacular. That Greek cheese looks super yummy. Hahah, I like how you can't keep track of the "meat stuff". Cute.

-Amanda
Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #141
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Loving your photos of the AKL... I think it is a beautiful resort too...

(I remember reading that a lot of Floridian couples do go and stay there for a getaway weekend... not even going to the parks... for a romantic getaway...- I can really see it...)

Your Greek cheese looks positively yummy...

Not into the meat dishes?.... I do have to say (as a moderate meat eater) that I do think its really hard to get a really good picture of meat dishes... hmmm.... now I'm thinking about it...

(BTW... I don't think I will every see Mary Poppins again without thinking about the corset comment...)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:08 AM   #142
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Those shots with Spaceship Earth in the background never get old! Love the one with the two of you!

I've never had an alcoholic beverage at Disney, but this year I told DH I am trying one of the Grey Goose slushies I hear so much about. Your cherry one looks devine. We haven't been to F & W for years, so I'm sure it is much bigger and better. May have to schedule our next trip for that time. You're giving me lots of ideas to think about! Thanks for this latest installment.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #143
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

sorry, duplicate post
Old 11-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #144
Ted in Halifax
Over a 2,000 mile drive from Disney!

Great TR ... and those photos are absolutely amazing!
May 2007 Fort Wilderness Cabins, Feb 2009 Pop Century, Nov 2009 Port Orleans Riverside, March 2010 Pop Century AP, May 2010 All Star Music AP, Nov 2010 POP Century AP, Feb 2011 Port Orleans Riverside AP, March 2012 AKV, March 2012 Disney Dream, March 2012 BWV, Feb 2013 POP AP, March 2013 AKL AP, July 2013 AKL AP, Dec 2013 Coronado Springs AP, Dec 2013 Saratoga Springs AP, and Dec 2013 POR French Quarter AP, JAN 2015 AKL JAMBO HOUSE Watching the SuperBowl at AKL ....
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #145
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Caught up! Even though the picture didn't turn out to be the comparison you wanted, you can definitely tell that you lost weight. Good for you!
Thank you!!! Sometimes I can't see it, but my clothes are falling off, so I know I've lost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPrice View Post
Karen you are a great trip report writer!! I'm loving the almost daily updates. I know I've said it before, but I can't wait to stay at AKL!!
Your photos just make it seem soo spectacular. That Greek cheese looks super yummy. Hahah, I like how you can't keep track of the "meat stuff". Cute.

-Amanda
Thank you! Nope, I really don't pay much attention to meat anymore...and, to be honest, I was pretty preoccupied with my own food...erm...more like obsessed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Loving your photos of the AKL... I think it is a beautiful resort too...

(I remember reading that a lot of Floridian couples do go and stay there for a getaway weekend... not even going to the parks... for a romantic getaway...- I can really see it...)

Your Greek cheese looks positively yummy...

Not into the meat dishes?.... I do have to say (as a moderate meat eater) that I do think its really hard to get a really good picture of meat dishes... hmmm.... now I'm thinking about it...

(BTW... I don't think I will every see Mary Poppins again without thinking about the corset comment...)
Well, since I'm a vegetarian and a photographer, I just find it really hard to get a good shot of meat and make it look "good" but then again, maybe that's just b/c I don't eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Those shots with Spaceship Earth in the background never get old! Love the one with the two of you!

I've never had an alcoholic beverage at Disney, but this year I told DH I am trying one of the Grey Goose slushies I hear so much about. Your cherry one looks devine. We haven't been to F & W for years, so I'm sure it is much bigger and better. May have to schedule our next trip for that time. You're giving me lots of ideas to think about! Thanks for this latest installment.
you MUST have one! They are so good, not too strong and not too much (probably why I usually get more than 1! LOL). My favorite is the normal grey goose slushie, but the orange and the cherry were good too! I'm not an alcoholic, I swear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted in Halifax View Post
Great TR ... and those photos are absolutely amazing!
Thank you and Welcome to the TR fellow Feb 2013 traveler! !

UPLOADING NOW, the next update should be up in the next hour or two! I'm sure you are all holding your breath and hitting reload repeatedly.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #146
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Ok, where was I?!? Crazy holiday weekend working for me, lots of clients out of town!

Ah yes, drinking a slushie! So, if you are keeping count, this was my first alcohol since getting to the park, but if you remember I had QUITE A FEW margaritas at the pool, so I was enjoying myself...I believe as the night wears on you can see the lack of photo quality thanks to my "enjoying"

The sun was just starting to go down and we headed towards Belgium. Mmmmm, there was a waffle there with my name on it!

I'm pretty sure I told Rey to get it for me...I think I had my hands full of slushie??

We sat down in the little seating area they had next to Belgium. TONS of empty tables, it wasn't busy at all this Wednesday night in WS! Then, I took a picture of my delicious waffle before scarfing it down. OH.MY.GOSH. I don't even really LIKE waffles that much, but this thing was amazing. So fresh, warm, and good! I took the after shot about 2 minutes after I took the before shot!

Oh so good. I had a tiny bit of self control and didn't lick the plate. I saved the chocolates for later! They were good, btw, Savannah & I each had one a day or two after I got back.

Rey got some sort of fish-thingie in Singapore. I took pics of the signs so people could see what they offered and what the costs were, so you can always look and see!

He liked it, I think it was spicy?

Japan was next!

See? No lines!

We shared the California Rolls... YUM!!

I was pretty proud of that shot considering I was tipsy. Actually, I don't even really call it tipsy, but when it comes to my photography, I think it takes a VERY steady hand and concentration, so any amount of alcohol is going to impair it...just don't want you thinking I was staggering around!

We could hear Blues Traveler at this point, so we headed towards the concert to check it out.

Pretty cool! I like Blues Traveler...but I think I like my food & wine better b/c I only took a few shots and then we walked on. Food and wine calling!

I kept trying to stop and take pictures, I think Rey was getting annoyed finally with my photo-antics.

Italy was next!

I got in the very short line for the Italy booth and Rey headed right next door to the Poland booth. The wide angle worked pretty well for this shot:

I'm wondering if I actually had another drink and don't remember or if the slushie and earlier margaritas were catching up with me, but either way, my photo skills started heading downhill, so I popped on the flash to take pictures of our food b/c I was sure I would forget!
My canoli, which I gobbled up...pretty sure it was good! LOL

Notice how they are getting a bit blurry? hehehe

Rey got some meat thingie (See?!?!? LOL) a drink (which I believe I drank all by myself) and some AMAZING thing with homemade ketchup on it. Oh it was good! No idea what it was, but it was good stuff!

I'm guessing I'm out of space, so I'll wrap up this update! Up next...it's WHAT TIME?!?!?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #147
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

What the heck, I'm finally done with work, sitting in my pj's enjoying my evening off...why not just continue?!?!

It sure does take a long time for the sun to go down at Disney! A couple updates, at least!

I shut off the camera somewhere around there, we skipped over Germany and the Cheese booth because we wanted to make sure we had stuff for the next day to try! Somewhere around the Africa outpost it was dark and Rey got one more thing at a booth there (see what happens when I shut the camera down? No recollection!) and we sat for a bit enjoying the evening. We were thinking it was pretty late at this point. Yep. Anyone want to guess the time? SIX-something!

We decided to head to MK for the remainder of the evening. We moseyed out of the park, it was a gorgeous evening!

The hours had been extended to 1am, so I was excited to spend some time there, I love it at night! What I wanted most of all though, was to see the Christmas lights on the castle. I knew they were going to be on that night (1st night, I think).

We had to stand on the monorail to the TTC. No biggie normally, but I could tell from Rey's face that he was feeling it in his back. So, when we got to the TTC, I suggested we take the ferry over. That way we could sit and he could rest. GAH...attack of the wide angle once again. THIS was as good of a shot as I could get of the castle coming over the water. Just WAY too wide!

It was nearing time for Wishes (8pm) when we arrived on Main Street.

I got up close to the castle and actually changed out to my prime lens to get my shot b/c I couldn't get close enough with the crowds with that wide angle. I got the shots I wanted though!

THEN...Wishes started. I took ONE picture and knew I couldn't take anymore.

I started to tear up, I just could not watch Wishes without my girl! Rey didn't mind at all, and he was in pain, so I asked if he wanted to go check out the park for a couple hours (until the crowds cleared out) OR head to the bus right away to beat the crowds. He chose to leave. I know, we seem like party poopers when the park was open, but I knew going into this trip that he might not be able to handle all the standing and I didn't want him to overdo it just to please me. So we headed towards the bus stop! But FIRST...Rey wanted to grab breakfast for the next morning, so we ZOOMED through the bakery, grabbed these beauties, stuffed them in boxes and a bag and headed towards the exit while Wishes was going on...

We walked up just as a bus was pulling away, so we had to wait a bit, but we were first on the next bus and at least got to sit on the way back! We had a pretty quiet evening, enjoyed the balcony and were asleep by 10pm! Wonder how long I slept this time? Were there more lobby pictures in my future???

Up next, Day 2 at the parks...our last day at the parks already!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #148
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

I slept in LATE the next day, I was up and out on the balcony at 6am! I ate my cinnamon roll and watched my favorite giraffe.

I showered and Rey got up and started to get ready. I decided to go take some pictures of the pool area while he was getting ready. I LOVE the pool area at AKL. Love it. I think we may have to get some bamboo for our back yard, that's how much I love it. This update is going to be mostly photos. Ready?

Ahhhh...I could just live at AKL pool with my mango margaritas. But alas, it was time to get back upstairs and see how Rey was. Up next...another brief park visit and no rides?!?!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #149
Caretames1
Mom & Crazed Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post

Up next...I think I lose my photo-abilities with the more alcohol I consume! Go figure!
So I can blame all my crooked pictures on the slushies???

Holy Cats! You got a lot done in Epcot. And lucky with the non crowds.

The pool area of Ak is awesome! I want to just lay there and sigh.
Wake Up! SURPRISE, We're going to Disney World....TODAY Sept 2011 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post42811539
"Momma, I got to dance with Flynn Ryder!" Our January 2011 TR.http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39775931
First Ever Trip to Disney World 1/23/2009 (POR) 6 days
Back to Disney World 1/21/2011 (POR) 10 days

Shhh! Suprise MNSSHP Trip 9/21/2011 (POP) 5 days
Surprise...AGAIN! 11/1/12 (AoA) 11 days
ME: Carey DH: John DD: Kadence (10) DD: Samantha (20)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #150
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

All caught up! I cannot get enough of your pictures, they are all so gorgeous! I am saving up and researching for a DSLR right now and I can't wait to get going, hopefully I can take pictures half as good as yours! I have never done food and wine, so it is interesting to see it through reports - I don't think it's really for me. AKL though…. so gorgeous. My little brother says that is now his favourite resort and doesn't want to stay anywhere else lol Looking forward to more!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: