Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
billyandjj
Mouseketeer

Navigating the kids club on Dream

This is our first cruise....and I while I have read a lot, the kids clubs still seem confusing to me. What are your best tips for understanding the kids club?

Also, my boys are 10 and 7....and the 7 year old will almost be 8 by the time we cruise. Would they let him bump up to be with his brother in the older group? He is a bit tentative, and I doubt he would do much on his own. And, I do not think the older one would want to move down in age groups.

Thanks in advance for any input....I am looking for any info that other parents have found helpful in figuring out. Specifically, we will be on the Dream.
billyandjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
samily
DIS Veteran

The Oceaneers Club and Oceaneers Lab are for ages 3-12, though the activities in the Club are geared for the younger kids. The two spaces are connected and the kids can move freely between the two. The Edge is the tween space and is ages 11-13, so your boys would both be in the Club/Lab. It would be up to them if they wanted to participate in the same activities while there.

There will be times when the Club or Lab will have an Open House, where parents must stay with their kids. During this time, the secured programming will move to the other side, and the kids will not be allowed to move between the two.

Enjoy your cruise!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
billyandjj
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your reply.

So basically, there is nothing to do prior to getting on the ship. We should just go to the open house the first day and get a layout of the area and sign up for things our kids are interested in doing?

and, upon further reading, I do see they can be in the same group age-wise. I do not know where I read the age change to be 8.
billyandjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is no sign up. You look on the navigator, see something they want to do, and make sure they are in the programming during that time.

All you need to do on line in advance is a short pre-registration form. Technically you don't HAVE TO do this in advance, but it will save you time at the terminal or on the ship. Then, when you arrive, you get their locator bracelets--which must be worn while in the programming. You can do this in the terminal or wait till you are on the ship (lines are LONG in the terminal, almost non-existent on the ship). You don't have to do this first thing; it just has to be done before they can participate.

Each day there will be a schedule in the Navigator indicating activities and suggested ages. NOTE--any child can participate in any activity. Your kids can choose to participate together or not. The OC/Lab will be open essentially all day and half the night. You can drop them off when you wish and pick them up when you wish. If they want you, the CMs will call you on the wave phone (ship cell phone which is in your cabin).
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

The kids can go to the clubs any time they are open - while they have special programming that you can learn about from the Navigator, that's only a fraction of the activities they can participate in while in the Oceaneer Lab or Club. For kids in your age range, they may find the video games and computer activities more enjoyable than some of the structured kids' programming. My 7-year-old spent most of our last cruise playing those games and met quite a few friends that did the same. My 5-year-old was more interested in the scheduled activities and in playing board games with other kids (and with the staff - twice we walked in to pick him up while he was playing chess with one of the staff)

You don't have to sign up for any activities in advance - as the last poster said, just get the kids pre-registered online to save time, and then pick up their bracelets either in the terminal at Port Canaveral while you wait to board (yes the lines can be 5-10 minutes, but you're probably not doing anything else then anyway) or pick them up on-board.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: