Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #61
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Because location counts. Starbucks isn't going to pay Disney the money it has paid and then settle for the noodle station.
I actually agree. Although, I think no matter where they build it, people. will. come. (imagine my best James Earl Jones voice) I highly doubt SB gets to pick what ever spot they want though either, so I think another location could be agreed on. I just don't understand cramming two such popular entities into one location.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #62
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,540

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I actually agree. Although, I think no matter where they build it, people. will. come. (imagine my best James Earl Jones voice)
I'm not so sure I agree. Not everyone is a rabid Starbucks fan and would seek them out no matter where they put the shop, especially if there is only one Starbucks per theme park. I can see Starbucks wanting a high traffic area.

Remember, most folks don't obsess over Disney the way we do. They won't know Starbucks is in the theme parks unless they see the mermaid logo.

I mean, there are people who weren't aware Disney canned Lights of Winter.
__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #63
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I'm not so sure I agree. Not everyone is a rabid Starbucks fan and would seek them out no matter where they put the shop, especially if there is only one Starbucks per theme park. I can see Starbucks wanting a high traffic area.

Remember, most folks don't obsess over Disney the way we do. They won't know Starbucks is in the theme parks unless they see the mermaid logo.

I mean, there are people who weren't aware Disney canned Lights of Winter.
I'm guessing the same company that told JK Rowling "nevermind" because she wanted too much control isn't going to let SB push them around.

I don't think you need to be a rabid SB fan to find a coffee spot in MK, even if it is off the beaten path...personally speaking I would have climbed the Swiss Family Robinson tree for a good cup of coffee in MK long before I ever heard of Starbucks. Maybe everyone doesn't obsess over Disney the way we do, but coffee drinkers know how to find coffee.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 11-12-2012 at 02:37 AM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #64
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 8,822
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
So all the more reason not to put it in MSB no? I agree the SB in DLR does look nice and is well themed, but it doesn't seem like there is as large a space for it using MSB. Since the line there already goes out the door sometimes, imagine what it'll be like adding time consuming to make drinks to the mix? SB people are aware and used to this, but it's going to stink and possibly be a deterrent for the folks just wanting a cinnamon roll or ice cream cookie sandwhich. So why not a different location and thus two places earning good revenue?
We've all been told to "write a letter to Disney" and tell them we want better coffee. "Stop at Guest Services and let them know what you think of the coffee" has been a bit of a rallying cry.

Well....Disney has listened. "Due to Guest Demand", we are getting better coffee. We might not like where they are putting it....but they have responded to the problem.

Make no mistake about this.....this is a financial decision.

If Disney can keep the situation at status quo...meaning that they keep the same crowd, same line and same demand....but get a corporation to pay for the opportunity to take care of the same line.....this is a win win.

As has been pointed out....this very much models Walt's first vision of Main Street. He had corporate vendors pay to sell their wares on his "Main Street".
__________________
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #65
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body
 
k5jmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 5,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
I mean, there are people who weren't aware Disney canned Lights of Winter.
THEY CANNED THE LIGHTS OF WINTER???
__________________
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #66
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body
 
k5jmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 5,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
...personally speaking I would have climbed the Swiss Family Robinson tree for a good cup of coffee in MK long before I ever heard of Starbucks.
I would climb the Tree House too for GOOD coffee, but not Starbucks. I do not consider SB good coffee. It is just OK and a step above NESCRAPE.
__________________
k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #67
TheWho
DIS Veteran
preachin' from my chair
 
TheWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Bergen county, New Jersey
Posts: 453

I'm checking the calendar, it's not April 1? This is the worst thing I ever heard. And I like Starbucks.
__________________
Dave in NJ

TheWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #68
Blissikins
Earning My Ears
 
Blissikins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 55

Disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

The whole point of MK to me is that it is a whole other fantasty world, away from real life. Starbucks already monopolise the market and kill off small family-owned businesses in "real life", now they have to close down Main St Bakery too?!

I'm beyond disappointed that Disney have done this, to me it opens the door for other brands (McDs? Burger King? Subway?), and MK loses that special "other-worldliness" that so many of us cherish. No matter how they Disneyfy it, nothing is better than the Disney food and drink experience.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Starbucks' products, but there is a time and a place, and Main St USA is NOT the place.
__________________
1st Visit: Apr. 14-28th 2012
Trip Report: Dreams Really Do Come True! 1st Trip to WDW.Can't wait to start planning our next trip!
Me: DH:
Blissikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #69
rotlex
Is it summer yet?
 
rotlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,974

Love this idea. I'm sure Disney will make sure it's kept in theme and heck, as far as baked goods, Starbucks ain't bad.

I have to admit too, I love Starbucks coffee. Not quite sure why anyone has a problem with it. Frankly, I like strong black coffee, so maybe that's why. For anyone that doesn't like it, I'd have to ask if you ever tried the newer "blondie" blend they have? It's good, but more on par with a Dunkin' Donuts flavor of coffee.
__________________
Steve

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

rotlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #70
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
We've all been told to "write a letter to Disney" and tell them we want better coffee. "Stop at Guest Services and let them know what you think of the coffee" has been a bit of a rallying cry.

Well....Disney has listened. "Due to Guest Demand", we are getting better coffee. We might not like where they are putting it....but they have responded to the problem.

Make no mistake about this.....this is a financial decision.

If Disney can keep the situation at status quo...meaning that they keep the same crowd, same line and same demand....but get a corporation to pay for the opportunity to take care of the same line.....this is a win win.

As has been pointed out....this very much models Walt's first vision of Main Street. He had corporate vendors pay to sell their wares on his "Main Street".
I really don't have a problem with SB being on Main Street. I just think Main Street should have a Bakery and a coffee shop. At DLR they had the luxury of everything being re-done for Buena Vista Street so they could make that nice big combo bakery/coffee shop, but I can't see how they will be able to do that at WDW. I don't know the plan of course, maybe they have more space available than I think. Time will tell.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #71
KKDonaldFan
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I predict that the lines will be enormous.

While this may upset some fans, this is going to be very popular.
I agree with Kevin....and I'm not even a coffee drinker. Sure, this will piss off a part of the Disney community....but the reality is that this will be very popular.
KKDonaldFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #72
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissikins View Post
Disgusting, absolutely disgusting.

The whole point of MK to me is...
And herein lies the problem. WDW, and MK specifically, mean something different to every person. 17 million people visited Magic Kingdom last year. That's a lot of different viewpoints, so any change is going to upset some segment of those people.

I understand that MK is seen as an escape from reality for many, and that is something that should be cherished. However, remodeling the bakery to serve Starbucks items is no different than every restaurant selling Coca-Cola. Those products exist outside of the fantasy world.

It will NOT look like a Starbucks! In fact, I'm quite positive that it will look like any other quick service location on Disney property and that you'll have to look closely to even know that they serve Starbucks items!
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #73
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPok1 View Post
And herein lies the problem. WDW, and MK specifically, mean something different to every person. 17 million people visited Magic Kingdom last year. That's a lot of different viewpoints, so any change is going to upset some segment of those people.

I understand that MK is seen as an escape from reality for many, and that is something that should be cherished. However, remodeling the bakery to serve Starbucks items is no different than every restaurant selling Coca-Cola. Those products exist outside of the fantasy world.

It will NOT look like a Starbucks! In fact, I'm quite positive that it will look like any other quick service location on Disney property and that you'll have to look closely to even know that they serve Starbucks items!
Starbucks has a VERY distinctive smell that is kinda burnt, much different than the MK bakery. It's not going to be hard to tell.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #74
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 297

I think that the bakery smell that is pumped onto Main Street is already partially artificial. No reason to believe that will change.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #75
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me
 
ADP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 8,926

After digesting the news and giving some thought of how this could play out it may not be as bad as we think. Not to say it's going to be good or all rainbows and roses (because it won't). I just don't think it will be as bad as we all think.

I mean look at it this way. The Main St. Bakery's next door neighbor is in a similar situation. It's sponsored by Eddy's ice cream. Guests go in there all day long to get an ice cream cone made with Eddy's ice cream. Starbucks won't be much different at all. Our treats that we loved in the bakery will probably get dispursed throughout the rest of the park. The giant ice cream cookie sandwich will be at Sleepy Hollow, the giant warm cinnomon rolls will end up in the new Fantasyland, etc, etc. What we really lose in all this is the convenience of our favorite treats sold in one very good location. Oh! And Disney becoming a bit more commercialized.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bakery, main street, starbucks



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.