Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
jenndisney
Is this a tag? Am I dreaming? Someone pinch me!

Wyndham time share presentation

Give me the truth of how pushy they are and if we will have to push ourselves out the door after two hours.

We will be doing a time share after my daughter graduates in two years. We are trying to decide which one works for us. I love Wyndham hotels and so signed up for a little vaca.

But my husband is turned off by super high pressure.

Thanks.

Dec, 2008 - WDW, July, 2005 - WDW, July, 2004 - DL, June, 2003 - WDW, July, 2002 - DL

jenndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer

If you are interested in learning about the Wyndham system, you will be better served by doing some reading on tugbbs.com. The first thing you will learn is NEVER buy directly from Wyndham. ALWAYS buy resale. I have purchased 2 Wyndham contracts in the past 6 months for pennies on the dollar and am very happy with my ownership. I would not be quite as happy if I had paid the outrageous amount Wyndham is asking. Check ebay.
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
jenndisney

Thank you. We will do that. We went ahead and booked a super cheap stay with them. So gonna tour the resort and listen to the pitch.

Dec, 2008 - WDW, July, 2005 - WDW, July, 2004 - DL, June, 2003 - WDW, July, 2002 - DL

Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeileen View Post
If you are interested in learning about the Wyndham system, you will be better served by doing some reading on tugbbs.com. The first thing you will learn is NEVER buy directly from Wyndham. ALWAYS buy resale. I have purchased 2 Wyndham contracts in the past 6 months for pennies on the dollar and am very happy with my ownership. I would not be quite as happy if I had paid the outrageous amount Wyndham is asking. Check ebay.
JimMIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndisney View Post
Give me the truth of how pushy they are and if we will have to push ourselves out the door after two hours.
Quote:
I love Wyndham hotels and so signed up for a little vaca.
Basic Fundamental #1: See Stacyeileen's post above

Basic Fundamental #2: Wyndham runs one of the largest, most varied, best vacation ownership programs available. +/- 80 Wyndham resorts that you can reserve directly with your Wyndham points. Nice resorts -- REALLY good system.

With ANY timeshare, check the locations of the resorts to be sure there are destinations you'd like to visit. If not, it's not a good fit regardless of the price.

Basic Fundamental #3: As good as the Wyndham resorts are...the sales force is BAD. They are known as the "Wyndham Weasels" and their sales pitches are called "Weasel Speak"... and not for nothing.

The basic rule is, "If their lips are moving, they are lying." Please note I did not say "exaggerating." I said LYING, and I meant what I said.

The Wyndham sales force is probably not the absolute worst in a sleazy industry, but they are working hard to get there. There is NOTHING they will not say -- no lie they will not tell -- to get you to buy. They define sleazy timeshare salesmen.

Expect high pressure, with multiple "closers" and "managers" offering various threats/incentives/insults to get you to buy.

DON'T buy from them. Buy resale and save tens of thousands of dollars.

Best regards,

A happy Wyndham (resale) owner
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer

What resort will you be visiting?
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
jenndisney

They have us at the Wyndham grand.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndisney View Post
They have us at the Wyndham grand.
Very nice, brand new hotel...and located right in the Bonnet Creek area. You will have full access to all of the timeshare amenities in addition to those at the hotel. You should have a great time.

But don't buy a timeshare from them.

To give you a comparison, a year and a half ago, we purchased 500,000+ Wyndham points on eBay for less than $2,000...including all closing and transfer costs. You can still get similar deals today.

Going back to my post above -- Wyndham is a very nice system, if the locations are destinations you want to visit. But don't buy from Wyndham -- no matter what kind of garbage they try to tell you about VIP, etc, etc, etc.

IF Wyndham seems like a good fit for your family, buy resale and save tens of thousands of dollars.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
jenndisney

Thank you so much for the information. Since we will not be in a place to buy for another year or two there is no worries of us caving. Also my husband is all about investigating before we spend more than $100 on anything.

How easy is it to walk out the door at 120 minute mark??? I want to spend time at a park.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

DH and I made the mistake of buying retail at Wyndham about 12 years ago. They said they would take care of the other time share we own, so that we only would have the Wyndham TS.

After 12 years, we still own both timeshares.

Wyndham is nice, and we've finally gotten to the point that we don't regret our actions. (Took ten years, but....) We had a special Christmas stay at a four bedroom presidential at Wyndham Fairfield Glade (about halfway between Knoxville and Nashville). A lot of points for two days, but it was worth it to have the extended family in.

And next year, we'll be able to go to Bonnet Creek, for much fewer points than a Disney resort...even though BC is a lot closer than some resorts.

ETA Or is your cheap stay based on a timeshare presentation?
Now, will you be there more than two hours. Hard to say. They may let you go if you tell them you won't be buying for a couple of years. Kids in college and such. They are very high pressure. However, I think they'll back down if they know you're going for future reference.

I don't even know if you need the tour. Invest in a TUG membership as stacyeileen suggested. There's a forum there, specifically for Wyndham. Then, do a tour of WBC on your own. I think both the timeshare and hotel can use each other's facilities.

I think you'll like Wyndham. But I think you'll hate the sales weasels. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
Ciyra
First of all, I would like to make one thing quite clear. . . . I never explain anything.

We recently went to a Wyndam presentation in Las Vegas and I kid you not the salesman told us the following stories to try to get us to buy from him --

1. He was an ex Marine
2. He recently left a job teaching history to juvenile prisoners at Rikers Island in New York and he felt like he abandoned the kids. (There were tears at this point. He actually walked away to "take a moment.")
3. His parents were missionaries.
4. He has had multiple people he loved die in his arms.
5. His mother was murdered in front of him.
6. His ultimate dream is to start a non-profit to help children in Cambodia. (Ironically he was trying to get us to spend $1000s and pointed out that there are much better things to put your money towards.)

I have no doubt that not one of these stories were true. He MIGHT have been a Marine, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

It was a trip to see these guys in action. We said nothing but NO THANK YOU and I think they had 4 people try to get us to buy.
Ciyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
swilshire
DIS Veteran

It will all depend on your salesperson. We attended a presentation at Wyndham National Harbor in the summer. The lovely lady who spoke with us understood right away that we weren't in the market, chatted with us for the minimum allowed time, and send us on our way. She was pleasant and professional all the way. You always get a follow-up with a manager, but that was also quick and painless.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #13
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

Are you staying at the Wyndham Grand or is the timeshare presentation at the Wyndham grand? Be sure to read the fine print!They can put you where they choose and they don't always choose a nice place.

I would skip the timeshare presentation. Rent Wyndham points (there are a couple of renters on the DIS (see the We Looooove Bonnet Creek thread) that are very economical and trustworthy.

Go to Tugbbs as noted above and find a resale. If you might be interested in trading into Disney property do not buy an Orlando property (i.e. Wyndham Bonnet Creek).

I own 2 resales: 154,000 points in Branson, MO (which cost me ~$600 in closing/tranfer costs). And a week at Shawnee (which cost me $95.00 in transfer fee and no closing costs).

I love my Wyndham properties and love that I paid nothing for them. BTW, the salesmen will tell you that resale is no good and you won't be able to book anything. As said previously, they are LYING!

STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY!!!!

Last edited by suemom2kay; 11-24-2012 at 05:38 PM.
suemom2kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
KingofSwing3000
Mouseketeer

Timeshare Employee

Used to work for Wyndham at Bonnet Creek in Marketing, and Orange Lake Country Club (world's largest timeshare next to Disney) in Marketing/Sales.

The tour will most likely go over 2 hours but that's not because of pressure -- it's just a great place and program (both of them) and you'll probably find it hard to say no. But they are good people.

For any future vacations, though, I recommend using FlipKey or Homeaway for your accommodations. Ex: my fam is staying in a 4br/3b villa 5 minutes from the Mouse for $62 a nite total. My wife and I just did a 2/2 next to Downtown Diz for $69.

I LOVE timeshare but would never buy when you get prices like that anywhere in the world...

RK
KingofSwing3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #15
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Resale, resale, resale!! We own 2 timeshares, paid $1 each, plus a few hundred in closing costs. We have never regretted it. Never pay a developer when you can buy resale.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote