Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #16
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
We did this,too.

We made sure that everyone could pull their own luggage.
We each had one lrge rolling suitcase with a carry on attached to it and a backpack.
What are the options to get to the Pan Pacific if everyone cannot pull their own luggage?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

There was a "limo" desk on the way out after getting your luggage. It was $60 plus tip last year.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #18
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny
There was a "limo" desk on the way out after getting your luggage. It was $60 plus tip last year.
Oh good. That's reasonable. I live in the Los Angeles area and ground transport here is outrageous.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

We always just grab a cab from the Vancouver airport to the port. We were able to get a limo that was between runs--he charged us the same rate as a cab, so we tipped well!

I should also put in a good word for the Fairmont Hotel at the Vancouver Airport, it is a really nice hotel--absolutely no noise from the airport.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #20
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22
We always just grab a cab from the Vancouver airport to the port. We were able to get a limo that was between runs--he charged us the same rate as a cab, so we tipped well!

I should also put in a good word for the Fairmont Hotel at the Vancouver Airport, it is a really nice hotel--absolutely no noise from the airport.
Good to know! Why do people take limos if a can is the same price? Is the limo nicer?
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

If you have a small child do you need a car seat for the ride? Is there a shuttle you can take instead? I will have a small child who will be no help with the bags and I absolutely cannot haul everything myself. I was really hoping there would be a shuttle from the airport to the hotel with people available to help with the bags.....and no requirement if hauling a car seat.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #22
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Good to know! Why do people take limos if a can is the same price? Is the limo nicer?
The limo driver had some time between his appointments and gave us a deal. From other poster's experiences, it appears to be more expensive to reserve a limo. Not sure how much, because we didn't reserve.

We were in a stretch limo, so there was a lot of leg room, and lots of space for our luggage--we were a party of 3 adults.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #23
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

Quote:
For us, the limo could take 5 ppl, but the cabs can only take 4.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #24
LemonPie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
For us, the limo could take 5 ppl, but the cabs can only take 4.
I was going to point out this exact thing. There are no cabs you can put 6 people in. I often am able to book transfers when I buy plane tickets. I get mine usually through Expedia or Travelocity and it almost always asks you towards the end of your purchasing experience if you want to add transfers. We are doing the Alaskan cruise next September and I have not even started looking at this kind of stuff. Better get on it I guess.
LemonPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #25
MaryLou1962
LoveMyBoys

The Pan Pacific website says to contact their concierge desk to set up transfers from the airport.
MaryLou1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #26
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryLou1962
The Pan Pacific website says to contact their concierge desk to set up transfers from the airport.
Good to know!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #27
*pixie*
Mouseketeer

I am getting so frustrated. The more I look at the difference in cost between flying into Vancouver and Seattle, the more I think about flying into Seattle. The Amtrak times are killing me though. We would have to fly in another night sooner in order to make the morning train. We could take the evening train but I'm assuming it will be in the dark which kind of defeats the purpose of taking the train. On the return trip, we again couldn't make the morning train, and if we took the evening train, we would have to stay another night in Seattle and get a flight out the next day.

I've also looked at the Quick Shuttle. And, again, we would not arrive in Seattle early enough to be picked up at Seattle Airport and dropped off at Canada Place. But, it looks like it would work with our flights on the return trip.

I've even looked at renting a car, which appears to be super expensive, although would still be cheaper than flying into Vancouver. But, it seems like most people discourage using a rental car.

I just don't know what to do!

2013 - Alaska on the Wonder
2012 - BC, Eastern on the Fantasy, and Poly
2010 - AKL, MNSSHP, and the Wonder
2008 - Pop and MVMCP
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #28
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Not to further rain on your parade, but the Amtrak times can be a little, well, flexible, out of Seattle. Make sure there is some buffer in your schedule. The upside is that the connection is pretty simple, the light rail Link line takes you from the airport to King Street station to catch the Amtrak.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #29
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie* View Post
We are planning a cruise to Alaska in hopefully 2014, but if not, 2013. It will be my family of 4 plus my parents. As of now, we will fly directly into Vancouver the night before, even though it is more expensive than Seattle, just to make things easier. We are also thinking of staying at the Pan Pacific right at the port, again just to simplify things.

What would be the easiest way to transfer from the Vancouver airport to Pan Pacific or one of the hotels by the port? And, from the port back to airport? We will already be spending so much on the direct flights, that if possible, I would like the transfers to be on cheaper side.

I thought that I had over a year to plan for this, but now with the possibility that it is less than a year, I'm slightly frazzled!
Okay, no need to be frazzled. It's easy to let happen, though. Deep breath. Okay, ready? Here we go...
We (DH and I) did Alaska on the Disney Wonder last year and it was one of the best vacations of our life (second/third to getting engaged at the Eiffel Tower and going to Sydney, AUS). It was amazing.

Flying:
Okay, so we looked at flying to SEA and taking the train to Vancouver. The deal breaker for us? What if something happens weather-wise that stops that train from going through? (And this is not a crazy "what if," it happens.) Do we want to risk our entire vacation on that train and those tracks being clear? For us, it was a very easy, "No." So, we flew into YVR. We thought it would require a CRAZY amount of miles to get to YVR since it's international travel. Turns out (for United anyway), they use the category of North America (not Int'l) so, it was the same amount of miles as flying to NY or TX or, or, or.... So, we flew on frequent flyer miles. Something to look into if you have miles. Or, just pay the extra on the tickets for peace of mind.

Next, Pan Pacific:
We stayed there the night before our cruise. We loved it. I could go on and on with why, but suffice to say that I would HIGHLY recommend it. And getting from there to the port - OH MY GOODNESS! It cold not be easier. There is literally a button in the elevator at the Pan Pacific that says, "Port/Cruise Ships." Yes, really.

As for the bags:
1. YVR to Pan Pacific: We got a luggage cart at the airport to get bags to the curb. Taxi driver put them in the cab. Bellmen at the Pan Pacific took them from the cab to their luggage holding since we were too early to check-in. The bags appeared at our room once we got our room. We barely had to fuss with them at all.
2. Hotel to cruise ship: We told the hotel we were leaving on the Wonder the next morning. That night we left our bags (with special tags) outside our hotel room. The next time we saw them as at our stateroom onboard the Wonder.
3. Cruise ship to YVR: We used Disney transportation. They picked up our bags from outside our stateroom on the last night of the cruise. We picked up our bags at the port (there were carts) and got them to the bus. At the airport, we got a luggage cart and took them through customs. (There is no way around this. YOU must take your luggage through customs, no one else can.) Then you can check them in with your airline and just keep your carry-on.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Again, can't say enough great things about Pan Pacific and how easy-peasy it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter View Post
I'm thinking of booking the Pan Pacific for at least 1 night pre-cruise, but after coming in to Vancouver via the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle. As nice as it is to simply fly into Vancouver, the difference in price is significant. The ride up on the Cascades sounds like an experience in and of itself.
Again, just think about if you are willing to risk if something happens to delay your train. Just something to consider. For us, not a risk we were willing to take.

Quote:
Doing your own transfers I guess means lugging your own luggage. I don't want to do that. Are there shuttles like Super Shuttle ready and waiting and available at the airport? If so how much is that? How far is the airport? Does the Pan Pacific have a shuttle from the airport?
There's not Pan Pacific shuttle (at least there wasn't two years ago). See above for my rundown of how our luggage was moved from A-B-C.

Quote:
What are the options to get to the Pan Pacific if everyone cannot pull their own luggage?
See above for my rundown of how our luggage was moved from A-B-C. It was fairly easy. Departure day was the most "lugging."

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie* View Post
I am getting so frustrated. The more I look at the difference in cost between flying into Vancouver and Seattle, the more I think about flying into Seattle. The Amtrak.... I've also looked at the Quick Shuttle.... I've even looked at renting a car... I just don't know what to do!
In the end you have to list the plusses for each and the minuses. Add up the costs and figure out where those lie in relation to the plusses and minuses. Then, go with what your gut tells you to do. For DH and I, it was very simple: What makes it 100% certain that we do not miss that ship? That was the only answer that mattered when it all came down to it. There is zero benefit to saving money or time if you see the Disney Wonder sailing away with you not on it.

Hope this helps, everyone!

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #30
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dreams

Okay, no need to be frazzled. It's easy to let happen, though. Deep breath. Okay, ready? Here we go...
We (DH and I) did Alaska on the Disney Wonder last year and it was one of the best vacations of our life (second/third to getting engaged at the Eiffel Tower and going to Sydney, AUS). It was amazing.

Flying:
Okay, so we looked at flying to SEA and taking the train to Vancouver. The deal breaker for us? What if something happens weather-wise that stops that train from going through? (And this is not a crazy "what if," it happens.) Do we want to risk our entire vacation on that train and those tracks being clear? For us, it was a very easy, "No." So, we flew into YVR. We thought it would require a CRAZY amount of miles to get to YVR since it's international travel. Turns out (for United anyway), they use the category of North America (not Int'l) so, it was the same amount of miles as flying to NY or TX or, or, or.... So, we flew on frequent flyer miles. Something to look into if you have miles. Or, just pay the extra on the tickets for peace of mind.

Next, Pan Pacific:
We stayed there the night before our cruise. We loved it. I could go on and on with why, but suffice to say that I would HIGHLY recommend it. And getting from there to the port - OH MY GOODNESS! It cold not be easier. There is literally a button in the elevator at the Pan Pacific that says, "Port/Cruise Ships." Yes, really.

As for the bags:
1. YVR to Pan Pacific: We got a luggage cart at the airport to get bags to the curb. Taxi driver put them in the cab. Bellmen at the Pan Pacific took them from the cab to their luggage holding since we were too early to check-in. The bags appeared at our room once we got our room. We barely had to fuss with them at all.
2. Hotel to cruise ship: We told the hotel we were leaving on the Wonder the next morning. That night we left our bags (with special tags) outside our hotel room. The next time we saw them as at our stateroom onboard the Wonder.
3. Cruise ship to YVR: We used Disney transportation. They picked up our bags from outside our stateroom on the last night of the cruise. We picked up our bags at the port (there were carts) and got them to the bus. At the airport, we got a luggage cart and took them through customs. (There is no way around this. YOU must take your luggage through customs, no one else can.) Then you can check them in with your airline and just keep your carry-on.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Again, can't say enough great things about Pan Pacific and how easy-peasy it was!

Again, just think about if you are willing to risk if something happens to delay your train. Just something to consider. For us, not a risk we were willing to take.

There's not Pan Pacific shuttle (at least there wasn't two years ago). See above for my rundown of how our luggage was moved from A-B-C.

See above for my rundown of how our luggage was moved from A-B-C. It was fairly easy. Departure day was the most "lugging."

In the end you have to list the plusses for each and the minuses. Add up the costs and figure out where those lie in relation to the plusses and minuses. Then, go with what your gut tells you to do. For DH and I, it was very simple: What makes it 100% certain that we do not miss that ship? That was the only answer that mattered when it all came down to it. There is zero benefit to saving money or time if you see the Disney Wonder sailing away with you not on it.

Hope this helps, everyone!

- Dreams
This is my exact plan except for the points. I'm paying cash for the airfare. Thank you for the run down/walk through. Extremely helpful.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: