Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
*pixie*
Mouseketeer

Vancouver transfers

We are planning a cruise to Alaska in hopefully 2014, but if not, 2013. It will be my family of 4 plus my parents. As of now, we will fly directly into Vancouver the night before, even though it is more expensive than Seattle, just to make things easier. We are also thinking of staying at the Pan Pacific right at the port, again just to simplify things.

What would be the easiest way to transfer from the Vancouver airport to Pan Pacific or one of the hotels by the port? And, from the port back to airport? We will already be spending so much on the direct flights, that if possible, I would like the transfers to be on cheaper side.

I thought that I had over a year to plan for this, but now with the possibility that it is less than a year, I'm slightly frazzled!

2013 - Alaska on the Wonder
2012 - BC, Eastern on the Fantasy, and Poly
2010 - AKL, MNSSHP, and the Wonder
2008 - Pop and MVMCP
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *pixie*
We are planning a cruise to Alaska in hopefully 2014, but if not, 2013. It will be my family of 4 plus my parents. As of now, we will fly directly into Vancouver the night before, even though it is more expensive than Seattle, just to make things easier. We are also thinking of staying at the Pan Pacific right at the port, again just to simplify things.

What would be the easiest way to transfer from the Vancouver airport to Pan Pacific or one of the hotels by the port? And, from the port back to airport? We will already be spending so much on the direct flights, that if possible, I would like the transfers to be on cheaper side.

I thought that I had over a year to plan for this, but now with the possibility that it is less than a year, I'm slightly frazzled!
I was planning on the Pan Pacific too for the same reason and am interested in this answer. Also will be flying into Vancouver.
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
GrumpyBelle
DIS Veteran

We booked a limo for the 6 of us last year for ~$100 from the airport to the Pan Pacific. Used DCL transfers to go from the ship back to the airport.

8/2006 ASMu/3 night DCL, 8/2007 CBR/4 night DCL, 8/2008 WL, 8/2009 SSR, 3/2010 AKV-Kidani, 8/2010 BWV/5 night DCL, 4/2011 AKV-Jambo/Kidani, 8/2011 DCL Alaskan, 8/2012 AKV-Kidani, 2/2013 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean/Puerto Rico, 8/2013 CSR, 11/2013 Celtic Thunder Cruise--Western Caribbean--Carnival Victory, 2/2014 AKV-Kidani
GrumpyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
MaryLou1962
LoveMyBoys

I don't know how mobile your parents are, but we always just take the Skytrain Canada Line from the airport to the waterfront, one block from the hotel. It takes less than 30 minutes and is about $8 (I think). For 6 x $8 I think a cab would be cheaper or about the same.

Something to check into.
MaryLou1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
tajz90
Mama D

We stayed at the Pan Pacific and took the train. Easy and cheap Train station is right around the corner from Pan.

Great hotel. Kids loved waking up and watching ship sail in.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
*pixie*
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies. My parents are in their 50s so mobility is not an issue, but they don't travel at all so I want to make it easy. Will our luggage be an issue with any of these suggestions? I'm guessing everyone will have a big suitcase and a carry on.

2013 - Alaska on the Wonder
2012 - BC, Eastern on the Fantasy, and Poly
2010 - AKL, MNSSHP, and the Wonder
2008 - Pop and MVMCP
*pixie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I'm thinking of booking the Pan Pacific for at least 1 night pre-cruise, but after coming in to Vancouver via the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle. As nice as it is to simply fly into Vancouver, the difference in price is significant. The ride up on the Cascades sounds like an experience in and of itself.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
Gilland18
DIS Veteran

We got a car service limo at the airport (there is a desk there that will help find one for us). It was nearly the same price as a taxi, around $40, if memory is correct. We just walked around the corner at the port the day we returned and got a minivan taxi (there is a whole line of them waiting) to go to the airport. It worked very well for us. Word of warning, the porters at the airport expected a lot more than a couple of dollars a bag to move our luggage. It wasn't that far - we should have just pushed our own luggage cart.

Kim

WDW 1984, Polynesian/Wonder 2003, Pop Century 2006,
Wonder Alaska 2011, Wonder EBPC 2012
Gilland18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Doing your own transfers I guess means lugging your own luggage. I don't want to do that. Are there shuttles like Super Shuttle ready and waiting and available at the airport? If so how much is that? How far is the airport? Does the Pan Pacific have a shuttle from the airport?

Last edited by luv2sleep; 11-09-2012 at 10:20 PM.
luv2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
NWmom
DIS Veteran

I also want to sugest the Fairmont Waterfront as a hotel option. It is dierectly across the street from the Pan Pacific and they offered complimentary luggage transfer to the port. Even if they did not- it is just across the street.

Having another option is always nice.

We took the Amtrak Cascades train up. There is a morning train that arrives around 1 (ours was delayed) and one that arrives at night.
Do not take the trsain the day of the cruise in case of delays, it only adds stress.

We found minivan cabs plentiful and inexpensive. Around $10 US from the train station to the port area.

Have a good trip.
NWmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaPotter
I'm thinking of booking the Pan Pacific for at least 1 night pre-cruise, but after coming in to Vancouver via the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle. As nice as it is to simply fly into Vancouver, the difference in price is significant. The ride up on the Cascades sounds like an experience in and of itself.
We flew directly into Canada, but out of Seattle and saved some. The train experience wasn't as nice as I was expecting. We kept wondering if we took the wrong route. Glad we did it, but only because I would have always wondered if we missed something.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

The train from the airport is cheap and easy.

We stayed at the Marriott about two blocks away from the Pan Pacific and liked it. (I mention it because they sleep 5 in one room if needed)

Note: Cabs in Vancouver will only carry 4 people--NO EXCEPTIONS--so keep that in mind with your party of 5. We were two adults and three kids and ended up using the trains and busses (easy) because we couldn't use cabs.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:47 AM   #13
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
We stayed at the Pan Pacific and took the train. Easy and cheap Train station is right around the corner from Pan.

Great hotel. Kids loved waking up and watching ship sail in.
We did this,too.

We made sure that everyone could pull their own luggage.
We each had one lrge rolling suitcase with a carry on attached to it and a backpack.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
The train from the airport is cheap and easy.

We stayed at the Marriott about two blocks away from the Pan Pacific and liked it. (I mention it because they sleep 5 in one room if needed)

Note: Cabs in Vancouver will only carry 4 people--NO EXCEPTIONS--so keep that in mind with your party of 5. We were two adults and three kids and ended up using the trains and busses (easy) because we couldn't use cabs.
I cannot find a Marriott Hotel that sleeps 5 anywhere in Vancouver. I have been searching ...believe me! Their policy / rooms must have changed.
Have been to each hotels website, as well as Marriotts main page.

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

This Marriott definitely does. Call them directly. As long as some are kids, they will do it. We used a rollaway. It was tight, but workable.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...owntown-hotel/

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: