Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
mom2princesses2
DIS Veteran

Considering Off-Property for the 1st Time

So, after 7 trips to WDW and staying on-property, we are considering cancelling our ressie at POR for our upcoming Jan. 31-Feb 8th trip and staying off-site.

We are looking to save costs and since Disney believes the neighbors FIVE houses down from me are worthy of free dining discount but we are not, we are thinking we could be happier staying outside of the World and even spending some of our days at Universal.

I need advice on where to start planning a non-Disney resort stay. Any suggestions? I'm thinking we want a car and a stay at a hotel vs. a property rental.

Any suggestions out there?
Disneyland ~ July 2013/ Port Orleans Riverside (Royal Room) ~ Feb. 2013 (DD's 5th & my 41st Birthdays) / Coronado Springs Resort ~ Nov. 2011 (DH's 43rd Birthday & MVMCP)/ Wilderness Lodge ~ Sept. 2010 (DD's 8th Birthday & MNSSHP) / Pop Century ~ Dec. 2006 (10th Wedding Anniversary & MVMCP) / Dixie Landings ~ Oct. 2000 (MNSSHP) / Dixie Landings ~ May 1994 / Non-property WDW visits ~ 1980 & 1985
mom2princesses2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

I have stayed at Windsor Palms before and it was fabulous.

Go to vrbo.com and close Florida, then Central/Disney, then Kissimmee, then under Kissimmee Central West chose Windsor Palms (formerly Wyndham Palms).

We got a three bedroom condo next to the pool for $500/week.
6/1986 - Off-Site; 11/1997 - Polynesian; 12/2001 - All Star Sports; 12/2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 12/2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 7/2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 12/2014 - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Staybridge Suites LBV. It is our go-to off site hotel. It is located very close to DTD, so you are not far away from Disney property at all. They do offer a park shuttle, but we have never used it. They also have a free continental breakfast.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

The current play, stay, dine is not that much more than free dining for your dates. As another family of 5, I can tell you that I have priced off site many times and it is never cheaper than getting a decent discount with Disney.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days
wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

The DTD area resorts on Hotel Plaza Blvd are nice. I've stayed there three times - twice at the Hilton, once at the Best Western. Shuttles to the parks stop at each hotel, which is convenient, and you can also walk to DTD. The Hilton even offers the EMH perk to its guests, but it's the only Hotel Plaza Blvd property that does this. Like I said, I've stayed in this area three times, and each time we've come away very pleased. I've never stayed on-property, so I can't compare my experiences to any of the official Disney resorts.
Trek Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you might consider a timeshare - wyndham bonnet creek - is fairly inexpensive and it is across the creek from Pop and CBR - this should be cheaper than a moderate

plus for the price of a moderate - or you could look for a special
http://www.hiltonbonnetcreek.com/

or this one - again look for specials
http://www.waldorfastoriaorlando.com/

both are high rated hotels - as you would expect with those names

so do you want a cheap no-name place - or even nicer than Disney:? (hotels not timeshares)

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
cammie810
Mouseketeer

we live in FL (about 3 hours away) so we go to Orlando often for long weekends. We always rent a condo in either Windsor Hills or Windsor Palms. It is about $85-100/night for a 3 bedroom! I have rented using vrbo but the last few times just went through www.closesttodisney.com. They dont have a minimum number of nights you have to rent so for us that is ideal. The condos are always clean and fully equipped. Plus, they are very close to WDW. I have teenagers to feed so for us it is easier and cheaper to feed them at least some of the meals at the condo. We drive over so we have our own car but even when we came from NH on vacation we often rented a car because we liked to have dinner at the different resorts and it was sooo much easier to get around that way.
cammie810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

We have stayed offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We really like it there and are staying again next June. You can get a two bedroom condo for less than what you pay for a moderate resort. Also it's within the WDW gates next to Carribean Beach resort, so it's very close to all the parks.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Dave1234
Mouseketeer

Hi - if the main purpose of your stay is to visit Disney you want to stay in one of the off-site resort communities that are in the immediate vicinity of the WDW park. These are Windsor Hills, Emerald Island and Reunion. There are several rental sites you can try, here's some all similarly themed for the 3 resorts mentioned:

http://************************************/
http://*************************************/
http://*******************************/

Thanks, D
Dave1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

For a nice hotel stay I might suggest Hilton Bonnet Creek or Waldorf Astoria if you want to be on Disney property. If you don't mind being not as close but a convenient bit away I would look into the Convention/Sea World area - it is quiet, peaceful but nearby good shopping and dining - convenient to i-ride trolley, buses to Disney. For this area I would look into the Hilton near the convention center, Doubletree Suites Seaworld, or Hilton Vacation Club at Seaworld. Also south International Drive is a good area - if you like outlet shopping I like the Outlets on Vineland Road - nearby would be Sheraton Vistana Villages, Floridays and a host of a lot of others. I would avoid the north side of International Drive.

If you want a full kitchen start looking into Hilton Vacation Club, Sheraton Vistana properties.

You can find good rates for many of the above hotels on websites such as lastminutetravel.com.

Good luck!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2princesses2 View Post
So, after 7 trips to WDW and staying on-property, we are considering cancelling our ressie at POR for our upcoming Jan. 31-Feb 8th trip and staying off-site.

We are looking to save costs and since Disney believes the neighbors FIVE houses down from me are worthy of free dining discount but we are not, we are thinking we could be happier staying outside of the World and even spending some of our days at Universal.

I need advice on where to start planning a non-Disney resort stay. Any suggestions? I'm thinking we want a car and a stay at a hotel vs. a property rental.

Any suggestions out there?

How many in your party?
What price range per night?

There are lots of choices. Do you qualify for discounts such as military or Florida resident?
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2princesses2 View Post

yes - Disney only seems to give discounts to people who have never visited WDW or people who don't come every year.

if you need tickets don't buy thru disney - so hopefully they won't know if you are there....

so also don't charge anything on Disney property.

remember before the WDW system and DVC system were together - would stay a couple of nights using WDW and paying cash - then would stay DVC.

since WDW did not seem to know that I was there but using DVC - they would give me some great discounts. Those days are gone.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #13
baler31
DIS Veteran

I have not stayed at POR so cannot compare what amenities you are looking for but we either stay Disney Deluxe or off property depending upon what type of trip we are doing and available discounts. Our favorite off property resorts are:

Waldorf Astoria
Hilton Bonnet Creek
Swan/Dolphin
Hilton DTD

These are all very close to the parks and we always rent a car even when staying on property. Although we like being on property when the parks are super busy we don't have a problem with off. The Swan/Dolphin rooms have a very thoughtful layout and you can walk to Epcot and HS. They also have very comfortable beds.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Give us some more info and you will get lots of excellent advice. Firstly, how many adults/children in your group. You said you want a rental car, but want to stay at a hotel instead of a vacation rental. Any particular reason why you want a hotel instead of a condo? Having a kitchen for drinks and light snacks, or just coffee in the morning comes in pretty handy, and more than one bathroom and in-unit laundry are awfully convenient.

Lots of great management companies out there if your concern with a condo is renting from an owner. We stayed at Windsor Hills and rented through www.floridasunvacationhomes.com and they were fantastic. Highly recommend them for the qualify of the rental and the professional rental process.

Having said that, I did give some thought to Buena Vista Suites and Drury Inn. Both get excellent reviews, and the Drury is brand new. I was really tempted to stay there but at the end of it couldn't pass up a 2bdrm condo at Windsor Hills for $500 total for 6 days. I believe Drury Inn has free shuttles to Universal parks. Even though you will have a car it would be nice to save the parking fee.
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #15
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

We recently stayed "off" property at Bonnet Creek. It was our first off property stay and it was great. It is technically on property (located right next to Caribbean Beach resort). You never have to get off the WDW roadways (which is a big plus for us). Once you are really off property you have to fight terrible traffic. We loved being so close to the parks and the space was great. If WDW is not running a great special next time we go, we will definately stay at BC again.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(7)

Patiently (NOT) waiting for a new ticker

Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote