Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
amg35
DIS Veteran

Question Kindle paperwhite

So, I'm getting the Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. Paid for no ads.
I wanted something with a light to read where there is not so great lighting in my apartment. I don't want it for movies/anything else.

This looks good for just books, right?

I know nothing about kindles!
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

Kindles are good for books. I have a nook simple touch with glow light (basically the paperwhite but came out earlier this year, has a built in reading light, its very cool.) I love my nooks but kindles are good too. Be sure to check out the cheap or free classic books you can get. Unless you really love an author, wait to get their newest release until the price has gone down. Newly released ebooks can be 14.99 and up. i rarely by ones more than 7.99. I've never owned a kindle but they are pretty much like my nook so if you have any other questions, I'd be more than willing to help
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I've got the Kindle Fire even though about all I do is read (it was a gift). The plain Kindle seems smaller and lighter. How is the Kindle Paperwhite different from the plain Kindle? Does it not have the glare? Can I read it outside? I received the Kindle Fire as a gift, but am interested in the different models since I do love to use the reader.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

from what I've read/seen the paperwhite has a 'light' in it that allows you to read it in the dark, almost exactly like my nook. I have little to no glare on my nook (there is a faint one but not nearly as bad as my tablet or my computer) when the light is on. I have it on the lowest you can have it and it works perfect! You can turn it off and on when you wish. i've read on my nook while outside and I can't recall the sun making it impossible to read.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
So, I'm getting the Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas. Paid for no ads.
I wanted something with a light to read where there is not so great lighting in my apartment. I don't want it for movies/anything else.

This looks good for just books, right?

I know nothing about kindles!
Yes. I have both types, fire and paperwhite. PW is easier to read outdoors, just like reading a newspaper. It has no backlight, though, so if you're going to read in the dark, you'll need a light. They may have changed in the two years since I bought my first one but it came without a light. I bought a cover that has a light attached to it.

I love my Kindles. I was so opposed because I loved the feel of books. Now I'm too lazy to hold a book since my Kindle in its cover is free-standing.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
wmjivey
costume designer extraordinaire

Yes you can read in the dark with the PW, just up the light to max. This is a great kindle, I hope you have ordered it, its being sold out everywhere!

DLR - Desert Palm Inn Suites 6/9-12/14, BW Stovall's Inn June 8-11, 2010; Alaska 9/2013; 5/23/09-5/30/09 - Tortola on the Magic ;11/11/06-11/18/06 Embassy Suites Grand Beach Vacation Resort; 3/19/06-3/24/06 Disneyland's 50th; 5/28/05-6/4/05: Inaugural DCL trip to Mexican Riviera; 5/28/04-6/11/04: offsite at WDW; numerous trips to DL
wmjivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminmd View Post
Yes. I have both types, fire and paperwhite. PW is easier to read outdoors, just like reading a newspaper. It has no backlight, though, so if you're going to read in the dark, you'll need a light. They may have changed in the two years since I bought my first one but it came without a light. I bought a cover that has a light attached to it.

I love my Kindles. I was so opposed because I loved the feel of books. Now I'm too lazy to hold a book since my Kindle in its cover is free-standing.
So you have BOTH types? How does that work? Can you download a book on one of them, and have it appear on the other(can you tell I'm real computer-illiterate)? Can you read part of a book on one, then pick up the other and it will automatically go to the correct place? I'm just curious-which did you have first and why did you decide to get the other?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
So you have BOTH types? How does that work? Can you download a book on one of them, and have it appear on the other(can you tell I'm real computer-illiterate)? Can you read part of a book on one, then pick up the other and it will automatically go to the correct place? I'm just curious-which did you have first and why did you decide to get the other?
Yes, you can. It's DisneyLoverUSA's fault that I bought the Fire, LOL. She was talking about it so much last year that I bought myself one.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: