Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
RCMommy
DIS Veteran

Card Question for SOTMK ??

Our family will be participating in the SOTMK game this December trip. Our kids are 9 yrs old and this type of game is right up their street. I have read in previous posts that you are given cards to play with but extra bonus packs are available to purchase....but often sold out. I know, without a doubt, if he could have extra cards for game play my son would want them so I am curious what everyone's opinion is? Will he have a good experience without extras, or should I look on ebay to enhance his experience?

2012 Xmas Port Orleans French Quarter ~~ 2012 US/IOA & Legoland ~~ 2011 Port Orleans Riverside ~~ 2009 xmas trip POP ~~ 2008 Xmas trip Polynesian-~~ 2008 Carribean Beach ~~ 2006 Windsor Palms ~~ 2005 All Star Sports ~~2000 offsite ~~~ Numerous other trips since 1977...
RCMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
baler31
DIS Veteran

The cards were in plentiful supply on this trip, I think they have significantly increased production. The experience should be the same regardless of the number of cards. Each person in your party can receive a deck by presenting your ticket. They are now letting you play on a "team" and will assign one of the key cards that you need to play to a team.

Personally, I would not pay a premium for the cards on ebay. JMO.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMommy
Our family will be participating in the SOTMK game this December trip. Our kids are 9 yrs old and this type of game is right up their street. I have read in previous posts that you are given cards to play with but extra bonus packs are available to purchase....but often sold out. I know, without a doubt, if he could have extra cards for game play my son would want them so I am curious what everyone's opinion is? Will he have a good experience without extras, or should I look on ebay to enhance his experience?
Production and distribution are definitely ramping up. There are 10 cards that you can only get with the booster packs (one per pack). The booster packs also include a home game. The other cards in the booster pack are the same ones that you can get for free every time you go to MK. If your son is a collector, he'll want the extra cards. I know mine will. But they're not necessary to play the game at lower levels.

There are also shirts that give you a power boost in the game. You can find more details at http://sotmkblog.com/. And he's been tweeting everyday about the availability of the booster packs.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Yep, agree with PPs. I had no trouble purchasing "booster packs" in the Emporium on Saturday. If they are not there by chance on your trip, they are definitely not needed to play the game in MK. The lightning cards in the booster pack are more geared towards collectors.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
RCMommy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the information. I was under the impression that certain cards had certain "powers" for lack of a better word. I guess I listen to much to my son and his Pokemon card collecting.

Hopefully we will be able to pick up a pack or two of booster cards as I know my son will want them, but perhaps I won't mention them just yet in case we are unable to purchase them.

We do have three days planned at the MK, so we could play each day and would we all get new sets of cards again?

2012 Xmas Port Orleans French Quarter ~~ 2012 US/IOA & Legoland ~~ 2011 Port Orleans Riverside ~~ 2009 xmas trip POP ~~ 2008 Xmas trip Polynesian-~~ 2008 Carribean Beach ~~ 2006 Windsor Palms ~~ 2005 All Star Sports ~~2000 offsite ~~~ Numerous other trips since 1977...
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
mesaboy2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMommy View Post
Thanks for the information.

1. I was under the impression that certain cards had certain "powers" for lack of a better word. I guess I listen to much to my son and his Pokemon card collecting.

Hopefully we will be able to pick up a pack or two of booster cards as I know my son will want them, but perhaps I won't mention them just yet in case we are unable to purchase them.

2. We do have three days planned at the MK, so we could play each day and would we all get new sets of cards again?
1. That's true. However, I don't know that the lightning cards available in the booster packs are any more powerful than the regular ones distributed for free. Certain cards and card combinations are more effective against certain villains, but that's an art and a science unto itself.

2. Yes. Each guest can get a pack of 5 cards per day.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
RCMommy
DIS Veteran

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the online children's games like Club Penguin and Moshi Monsters. You can play for free, but if you are a "member" you can buy clothes for your pets, access certain areas, etc...many things that non members cannot do.

I just wanted to be certain I am not walking into that type of situation. The game would not be enjoyable if I kept hearing "if only we had....." the entire time.

Sorry, one other question. If we brought the 5 cards each of us were given on day two at the MK, would that be allowed, or would it help? Or will they just all be repeats?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
mesaboy2

Quote:
1. I don't know if any of you are familiar with the online children's games like Club Penguin and Moshi Monsters. You can play for free, but if you are a "member" you can buy clothes for your pets, access certain areas, etc...many things that non members cannot do.

I just wanted to be certain I am not walking into that type of situation. The game would not be enjoyable if I kept hearing "if only we had....." the entire time.

Sorry, one other question. If we brought the 5 cards each of us were given on day two at the MK, would that be allowed, or would it help? Or will they just all be repeats?
1. I am familiar, and I do not think SotMK without the lightnings is like that at all. After all, pretty much no one had lightnings for six months earlier this year and it still seemed pretty popular.

2. It is absolutely allowed, it may help, it won't hurt, and all packs have basically random selections of cards 1-60. That seemed like three questions actually--I'm not sure you can count.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
RCMommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
1. I am familiar, and I do not think SotMK without the lightnings is like that at all. After all, pretty much no one had lightnings for six months earlier this year and it still seemed pretty popular.

2. It is absolutely allowed, it may help, it won't hurt, and all packs have basically random selections of cards 1-60. That seemed like three questions actually--I'm not sure you can count.
Great, thanks so much !

Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Keep in mind that each person can get a pack per day. So if you are going three times (and there are three of you) you will get 9 free packs.

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Tltorrez
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMommy
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the online children's games like Club Penguin and Moshi Monsters. You can play for free, but if you are a "member" you can buy clothes for your pets, access certain areas, etc...many things that non members cannot do.

Nothing is more annoying than Club Penguin pets. Except possibly the Hats.

Right now there are two items for purchase - shirts and the booster packs. The shirts give you a power boost, the same as you would get if you leveled up the card by playing. The booster packs give you the home game board, random cards (the same ones available for free) and one of 10 rare cards. The rare cards are not required for play but might appeal to collectors.

There are also special edition cards distributed at special events - so far there are two -MNSSHP and MVMCP. Again, not really needed for game play.

So in answer to your question, I think there are going to be collectors cards that might be an issue. But I wouldn't expect a lot of game-related accessories. At this point, these are the only items announced. The shirts have not sold out since they were stocked. So I wouldn't expect them to go too far in this merchandise area. But who knows.

One note - there were some crappy binders floating around that they clearly re-branded from somewhere else. I bought one of these instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Binder...er+card+binder

Regarding cards, you will get random cards so you could end up with all different, no duos. You should bring all your cards so that you can p,ay with a variety. And if you do get duos, trade them. Just be careful to trade one to one to get the cards you need. There are, of course, collectors out there not above shady practices.

You can find more info on SOTMKblog.com.
Tltorrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
RCMommy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for that great info. My son will definitely like this t-shirts. He has learned the hard way with other trading cards that people will not always play fair. If we see extra sets for sale we may pick one up if he really wants one but other than that- from what I have read we will enjoy the game with what were are given.

My daughter has always loved the characters and visiting the BBB, but there has never really been something special for us to do with our son. This SOTMK is his type of thing so we are really looking forward to it.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
chikita
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi, I thought you might like to check out this great site that has tons of info on SOTMK. Have Fun!!!

http://sotmkblog.com/
chikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

Just to add in my two cents...I agree that you don't need the lightning card(s) to play the game, nor do you really need any cards in particular. Perhaps at some point it matters what cards you pick, but after playing one round last week (and watching folks play) it seemed liked it didn't matter which card you used to defeat the villain.

I saw someone with only five cards use the same card over and over and didn't seem to have any problems. Likewise, someone just held up a sheet of nine cards (in those pocket protector) and I have no idea how the game selected which of the nine cards to use, but he also didn't have any problems defeating the villain.

So, the booster pack seems like something a collector would like, I don't think it (or any cards in particular) are needed to play the game. Just have fun!
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Last Saturday afternoon we tried to purchase cards and they were out. Same with Sunday morning. We were a little bummed.

I don't think you need the booster packs to enjoy the game.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: